Author Topic: AFL roster  (Read 2543 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
AFL roster
« Topic Start: August 25, 2009, 04:44:49 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: AFL roster
« Reply #1: August 25, 2009, 04:45:26 PM »
Espinosa, too

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: August 25, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »
We're cool with Lichenstein being Strasburg's first professional coach?

Offline blue911

« Reply #3: August 25, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »
We're cool with Lichenstein being Strasburg's first professional coach?

Who is he? I could only think of Roy Lichtenstein and I know he's dead.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #4: August 25, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »
IDK, that's who's listed as the pitching coach for the team.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #5: August 25, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #6: August 25, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »
Solid choices. We'll hopefully get a good look at Strasburg. Wow, all the talent in the system is going.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: August 25, 2009, 10:46:15 PM »
I wonder if any of these games will be on the MLB Network.  I wouldn't be shocked if they show SS's first game and his "professional" debut.  I'm sure they'd be all about showing that with all the hype he got.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #8: August 25, 2009, 10:53:33 PM »
That'd be awesome if the games were televised.

that is a STACKED group of studs that we are sending. especially when you compare it to past underwhelming players we have sent to the AFL including Adam Carr, Leonard Davis, Bill Rhinehart, Zech Zinicola, etc.

all of the guys we are sending are legitimate prospects.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #9: August 25, 2009, 11:21:05 PM »
Definitely.  All four could easily be top 50-75 prospects in the nation.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #10: August 25, 2009, 11:22:16 PM »
That is a powerful group of prospects.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #11: August 26, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »
That'd be awesome if the games were televised.

that is a STACKED group of studs that we are sending. especially when you compare it to past underwhelming players we have sent to the AFL including Adam Carr, Leonard Davis, Bill Rhinehart, Zech Zinicola, etc.

all of the guys we are sending are legitimate prospects.

Davis was the organizations position player of the year, so sending him made total sense (also Desmond and Detwiler).  Guys like Zinicola and Carr, not so much.  But you are right, we are now sending guys that legitimately belong there and it seems like we will be for the foreseeable future as our stockpile of young talent in the lower levels trickles up the ladder.

Just looking over the names from other teams that are going to be in the AFL this fall, this season should provide one of the most talented AFL classes in recent history.  It will be exciting/interesting to see how are guys handle it and hopefully MLB Network does broadcast a few of these games.

Offline blue911

« Reply #12: August 26, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »
Adam Loewen?

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #13: August 26, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »
Adam Loewen?
Last I read he was trying to pull a Rick Ankiel and make the switch to the outfield. Only Adam's move was necessitated by injury.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: August 26, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »
Adam Loewen?

They say he could have been a first round pick as an outfielder, but focused on pitching.  After it was determined he could not pitch anymore, the Os I think started to convert him to a positon player.

Here's is  a quote from his wiki:
[edit] Transition to position player
Due to the nature of his injury and his inability to remain as a pitcher, Loewen had the Orioles support when he made the decision to transition to a position player. His contract stipulated that he was required to remain with the big league club on its active roster at this stage in his career. As Loewen would need time in the minors to learn a new position and pick up batting experience, both sides agreed on October 20, 2008 that Lowen would be released from his contract. Both sides had talked about re-signing him to a minor league contract though no formal agreement was ever reached.[4] The Orioles had hoped to develop Loewen to play at first base but were also actively in the market to sign free agent first basemen. Loewen reportedly received several offers from other teams, and signined a minor-league contract with the Toronto Blue Jays.[5][6] After attending minor-league spring training with the Jays, Loewen was assigned to the Dunedin Blue Jays on April 9, 2009.[7]

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: August 26, 2009, 12:07:42 PM »
Last I read he was trying to pull a Rick Ankiel and make the switch to the outfield. Only Adam's move was necessitated by injury.

They say he could have been a first round pick as an outfielder, but focused on pitching.  After it was determined he could not pitch anymore, the Os I think started to convert him to a positon player.

Thanks, but I was aware of all of that. I was just surprised that the Blue Jays were using a slot for a player that is obviously not ready. Either for the AFL or AA at this point in his attempt to resurrect his career.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #16: August 28, 2009, 07:35:38 PM »
Rizzo confirms Jeff Mandel is another player to be added to the AFL roster. :clap:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: September 01, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »
Preview of the Phoenix Desert Dogs, discussing the players on the roster.  Interesting to compare the evaluation of our players v. those of others on the roster to get a perspective on the relative strength of our top prospects v. O's, Tampa Bay, and Toronto.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/afl-preview-phoenix-desert-dogs

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #18: September 04, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »
And Wilkie is announced as the Nats 6th and final player.