Author Topic: It's an iPad!  (Read 1979 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: It's an iPad!
« Reply #25: January 27, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »
http://goo.gl/V2so

:lmao:

A bit off-topic, but what purpose do those "goo.gl" links serve?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #26: January 27, 2010, 11:50:08 PM »
To shorten them I guess, like bit.ly and tinyurl

Of course those aren't as good as the one by the almighty GOOGLE :worship:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #27: January 27, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »
Right, I figured it was similar to tinyurl, but I mean why are you using them JMad?  That kind of thing is usually used for handling extremely long/malformed links, I thought?  Or for rick-rolling :lol:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #28: January 27, 2010, 11:56:16 PM »
Right, I figured it was similar to tinyurl, but I mean why are you using them JMad?  That kind of thing is usually used for handling extremely long/malformed links, I thought?  Or for rick-rolling :lol:

I use it mainly for twitter.

and when I am too lazy to copy/paste lol. it's an extension for chrome, it automatically shortens it and copies it to your clipboard, so all you have to do is paste it.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #29: January 28, 2010, 12:01:59 AM »
I also think there may be some features yet to be announced for the iPad.  It's not coming out for 60 days (WiFi) or 90 days (3G+WiFi).  It has a newer version of iPhoneOS, 3.2.  They may have kept things like multitasking out of the keynote so as not to spoil a supposed March event for a new iPhone or something similar.

I'm pretty disappointed, and with all the hype beforehand it would have been hard not to be, but I'm still in a wait and see mindset.  I'll have to play with the thing first hand and see what else it may be hiding before I can totally diss it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #30: January 28, 2010, 12:04:04 AM »
I don't care about an oversized Ipod Touch.  I'd much rather see mac come out with something like this

Offline The Chief

« Reply #31: January 28, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »
I don't care about an oversized Ipod Touch.  I'd much rather see mac come out with something like this

That won't happen because Steve Jobs doesn't know how to make a $500 machine that isn't a piece of junk.

and when I am too lazy to copy/paste lol. it's an extension for chrome, it automatically shortens it and copies it to your clipboard, so all you have to do is paste it.

How is it faster than ordinary copying and pasting?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #32: January 28, 2010, 12:12:06 AM »
That won't happen because Steve Jobs doesn't know how to make a $500 machine that isn't a piece of junk.

How is it faster than ordinary copying and pasting?

it's not, technically. but that's not the point.

the real benefit of it for me, is not in posting to message boards, it is to posting to twitter. I can share a URL, with Title in a single click. the extension shortens the URL, grabs the title from the page, and posts it to twitter for me.

there are tons of extensions like this, just about ever url-shortening service has one. I just use the goo.gl one well...because I'm a google whore.

geez, it's just an extension.  I didn't expect the spanish inquisition.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #33: January 28, 2010, 12:31:36 AM »
I didn't expect the spanish inquisition.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #34: January 28, 2010, 07:36:26 AM »
it's not, technically. but that's not the point.

the real benefit of it for me, is not in posting to message boards, it is to posting to twitter. I can share a URL, with Title in a single click. the extension shortens the URL, grabs the title from the page, and posts it to twitter for me.

there are tons of extensions like this, just about ever url-shortening service has one. I just use the goo.gl one well...because I'm a google whore.

geez, it's just an extension.  I didn't expect the spanish inquisition.

No inquisition, I was just curious :thumbs:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: January 28, 2010, 08:58:30 AM »

there is the macbook air, doubt he would want to canabilize that. This reminds me of apple tv, nice idea, but small market and competing products that do more for less in that market.