Author Topic: Any music fans?  (Read 14818 times)

AuRevoirExpos

Any music fans?
« Topic Start: June 07, 2006, 08:48:21 AM »
I guess this has been done on here before ( or maybe not? ) but one of my other main past-times after sports is listening to music.

Don't know how any DC's and DVD's I have (I think several 100 would be a conservative estimate) and I've also for 25 years been a regular concert/festival goer.

So I'd just be interested to hear what sort of music the guys on here like?

My own tastes are wide-ranging and pretty much cover every genre from classical to modern rap.

First and foremost I'm a HUGE Bruce Springsteen fan, so I set him above all other categories in a league of his own.

Classical ~ Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Mahler, J S Bach, Haydn, Benjamin Britten, Shostakovich, Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Verdi, Wagner.

Jazz ~ Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Oscar Peterson, Billie Holiday, Theolonius Monk, Donald Byrd.

Classic Rock 70's, 80's ~ Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Bob Dylan, Genesis, Supertramp, Nick Drake, Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Rush, Neil Young, Guns 'n Roses, Rolling Stones, Van Morrison.

Modern Rock, 90's - 2006 ~ Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Korn, Metallica, REM, Oasis, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Travis, Blur, Green Day, Limp Bizkit, the White Stripes.

Rap and stuff ~ nothing too radical, Beastie Boys, Black Eyed Peas, Snoop Dog, M C Hammer, Kanye West, Akon, Wu Tang Clan, 50 Cent, Eminem.

100's more, but long lists are pretty boring to everyone except the guy writing the list, so that will do.

Any great bands not on my list who you rate highly? I always look out for new stuff I haven't heard before.

Offline UMDNats

Any music fans?
« Reply #1: June 07, 2006, 10:12:19 AM »
Eric Clapton

Offline rileyn

Any music fans?
« Reply #2: June 07, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
My tastes are similar to Terry's in each category.  I noticed you omitted country music so I take it you are not a big fan.  Do they even play country music over there?

Offline Vladman1327

Any music fans?
« Reply #3: June 07, 2006, 10:21:09 PM »
My favorite band is Led Zeppelin.  I like classic rock mainly.

Offline UMDNats

Any music fans?
« Reply #4: June 08, 2006, 12:19:05 AM »
I'm a country music fan (grew on me over the last few years, a lot of my sister's friends and my sister included listened to it, so i heard it a lot) but I like rock as well. Riley, are you a country fan?

AuRevoirExpos

Any music fans?
« Reply #5: June 08, 2006, 04:30:37 PM »
Yes, Country is pretty popular in Britain and most of the big country stars tour over here.

My own taste is for what I guess you'd call Country Rock, I have stuff by The Outlaws, Garth Brooks, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Poco, Neil Young, the Byrds, The Eagles, Dwight Yoakam, Gram Parsons. Nothing too radical I know but good sounds!

Offline UMDNats

Any music fans?
« Reply #6: June 08, 2006, 05:37:14 PM »
Quote from: "Terry"
Yes, Country is pretty popular in Britain and most of the big country stars tour over here.

My own taste is for what I guess you'd call Country Rock, I have stuff by The Outlaws, Garth Brooks, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Poco, Neil Young, the Byrds, The Eagles, Dwight Yoakam, Gram Parsons. Nothing too radical I know but good sounds!

The eagles and Skynyrd...awesome.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Any music fans?
« Reply #7: June 18, 2006, 01:05:53 AM »
I'm a pretty diverse musical listener. My main genre of music is Hip-hop and r&b, but i also listen alternative/nu-metal rock. My favorite band is Linkin pArk. But i also enjoy Lit, incubus, P.O.D, Limp Bizkit(2001 and before though), and Puddle of Mud.

In hiphop i enjoy Clipse, Dipset(support the movement), T.I., and G unit

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Any music fans?
« Reply #8: June 24, 2006, 09:26:52 AM »
I love pretty any kind of music that doesn't make me want to hide. (ie. polka music)

I grew up a Beatles fan and I always will be, the Stone kick ass, the Ventures have some nagin' instrumentals, and today I like techno, trance, classic rock, some, but not all R&B, some, but all heavy metal (Rammstein is awesome). I prefer country over western, and if I want to listen to twangs, I'll use rubber bands, western sucks.

My MP3 collection fills 15 DVDs, and the music ranges from the 50s to today.

DelNatsFan

Any music fans?
« Reply #9: June 27, 2006, 07:07:57 PM »
Since I'm a musician  I have a very eclectic music collection.  I must have close to 600 CD's
     Billy Joel is my personal Lord and Savior.  Def Leppard is my favorite hard rock band (One of the band members and I share the same name).
     I, like a few of you, have also become a big country fan the last few years. I think it's because there isn't much good rock out there today and I identify more with what they're singing about, except for the new "redneck" movement that's mushroomed recently.  I like  Keith Urban, Brad Paisley (both also world-class guitarists) JoDee Messina, Sara Evans, Shania, Toby Keith, Tim and Faith, and yes.........THE DIXIE CHICKS.
    I have a not of New Age  and Jazz as well, I'm a big fan of the Windham Hill artists like George Winston and Will Ackerman as well as David Lanz. Being an acoustic guitarist, I appreciate instrumentals.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Any music fans?
« Reply #10: June 29, 2006, 08:50:49 AM »
Quote from: "DelNatsFan"
and yes.........THE DIXIE CHICKS.

Dixie Chicks were originally called the Dixie Chickens, in honor of one of their favorite songs by Little Feat.  Little Feat is one of my all-time favorites.  They recorded their seminal live double album "Waiting for Columbus" at the Lisner auditorium, in DC, in 1977.  This is one of the greatest live albums ever, IMHO. (however, if you buy the CD version, several cuts are deleted, including "Don't Bogart that Joint")

The band was backed up by the Tower of Power horns for this album.  If you have been paying close attention to the steroids scandals, Victor Conte (of BALCO), one of the steroids providers, was one of the members of Tower of Power.  So he came by his drug infatuation the old fashioned way - through Rock and Roll.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Any music fans?
« Reply #11: July 07, 2006, 09:10:56 AM »
I find that I listen to a lot of different types of music.

I grew up in the 80's so I have a lot of fond memories of super cheesy 80's music.  Human League, INXS, Talking Heads, etc.  NOt big into the "Big Hair Bands".

Nowadays I find myself listening to A TON of old jazz:  Miles Davis, T. Monk, John Coltrane.  I also love B.B. King.  And some big band stuff:  Stan Getz, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller.  Most of my collection is on compilation CD's so I have a mix of stuff.  But the best CD I owned (yes, owned - because it was stolen) was a disc that had B.B. King performing a bunch of songs from Louis Jordan.  I have been unable to locate that disc again, if I ever find it, I will buy it.  When I was in undergraduate school, I had a radio show on Saturday mornings from 10-1 and we played classic swing/jazz.  Over the years, I just sorta fell in love with it I guess....

For the modern stuff?  I really can't be bothered much.  American Idol has ruined pop-music for me.  You really have to dig around to find true talent in the music industry.  But I have glommed onto a couple of artists:

1.  The Black-Eyed Peas.  I love their sound.  It's so very different from modern rap.  It's very unique.  The more I hear from them the more I like.

2.  Usher.  A natural talent.  Anyone can sound good in a sound tunnel, but this kid has it naturally.  

And there are certainly a number of songs that I like from EA video games as well.....

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Any music fans?
« Reply #12: July 27, 2006, 08:46:35 PM »
70,80's: Zeppelin/Aerosmith
90's: Bush, Nirvana
00's: Audioslave/Velvet Revolver

Rap: I'm a fan of Notorious BIG, and Akon.

Any music fans?
« Reply #13: July 27, 2006, 09:17:36 PM »
I am a big TOOL fan as well as metal and rock music.

I will dip into Johnny Cash and Gordon Lightfoot.  Other than that, no country music.

80's music rocks my socks off.

I keep away from rap/hip hop unless it's the classic stuff pre-Gansta's Paradise and all that nonsense about ***ches and money although NWA can be hilarious these days.

Offline hammondsnats

Any music fans?
« Reply #14: August 02, 2006, 02:14:39 AM »
elvis costello, 2 skinnee j's, nsync.  minus the last one.

Offline kimnat

Any music fans?
« Reply #15: August 02, 2006, 10:27:23 PM »
I love listening to Allison Krauss and Union Station!  That's my relaxation!  Like John Denver stuff too.  Toby Keith is a blast, I really like his current day outlaw style.  Randy Travis and George Strait are classics, too.  Oooo, yeah, can't forget the Glenn Miller and Andrews Sisters music, too.  Awesome, awesome stuff!  Sometimes I think the best stuff came from the 40's and 50's!

nospinzone1

Any music fans?
« Reply #16: August 02, 2006, 11:47:27 PM »
I AM A SALSA MAN
I AM A MERENGUE MAN

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Any music fans?
« Reply #17: August 04, 2006, 12:39:17 AM »
Quote from: "ColtonWillems"

Rap: I'm a fan of Notorious BIG,

IF you from NY and you say you like hip hop, you better like Biggie!?!?

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Any music fans?
« Reply #18: August 04, 2006, 11:32:18 AM »
Quote from: "metssuck"

haha, of course man I have to represent the best east coast rapper ever, scratch that the best rapper ever.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Any music fans?
« Reply #19: August 04, 2006, 09:48:39 PM »
Quote from: "metssuck"

haha, of course man I have to represent the best rapper ever.

Don't body yourself.

AuRevoirExpos

Any music fans?
« Reply #20: January 08, 2007, 03:46:16 AM »
Sorry to 'bump' this is from the summer, but I just thought there's surely still a bit more mileage in a music thread?

I'm a massive Bruce Springsteen fan, have been for nearly 30 years..him and Dylan being my own musical Gods.

I saw Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band in Manchester, UK last year. I actually think the 'We Shall Overcome - Seeger Sessions Band' album maybe the best thing he's ever done.

Check these out, especially if you need a lift, it's just really great feel-good, bar-room 'old time' music. Springsteen somehow manages to combine all the best elements of country, folk, gospel, blues, honky-tonk, and New Orleans jazz in all these songs from the 'Seeger Sessions' album, and mixes them into this totally uninhibited, happy, and infectious sound. I mean did you ever see a bunch of musicians having such damn fun as they do in these clips, which is something you almost never see these days with all those surly doped-up kids standing around on stage trying to look 'cool'.

If you love the 'old time' music, the 'Seeger Sessions Band' album is a must-have. I could just listen to this sort of thing all day over a beer or two - and sometimes do!

They are taken from 3 seperate TV broadcasts during last year's tour :-

Links :-

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Any music fans?
« Reply #21: January 08, 2007, 07:51:16 PM »
Quote from: "Vladman1327"
My favorite band is Led Zeppelin.  I like classic rock mainly.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/stairway.php

Offline Vladman1327

Any music fans?
« Reply #22: January 08, 2007, 10:04:41 PM »
That's all BS, in my opinion.  Same with the "Paul is dead" thing with the Beatles.  It's all a load of crap, but it helped sell albums.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Any music fans?
« Reply #23: January 08, 2007, 11:00:21 PM »
Springsteen is a GOD...I grew up on 70s/80s punk, and only came to appreciate the 'softer' sounds much later on.  And whoever mentioned Alison Kraus earlier, good call!  WAMU here in Washington has a whole day of "obsolete" music on Saturday night and on through Sunday, starting with old school dixieland jazz at 7:00 saturday, and going on through bluegrass, country, western, and honkey tonk until Sunday night.  I eat it by the pound.  

But I still love cranking the Dead Boys or the Damned whenever I hear some of that @#&^%$*& Britney Spears treacle wafting in my window, just to cleanse my ears  :D

What a marvellous thread!

Quote from: "AuRevoirExpos"
Sorry to 'bump' this is from the summer, but I just thought there's surely still a bit more mileage in a music thread?

I'm a massive Bruce Springsteen fan, have been for nearly 30 years..him and Dylan being my own musical Gods.

I saw Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions Band in Manchester, UK last year. I actually think the 'We Shall Overcome - Seeger Sessions Band' album maybe the best thing he's ever done.

Check these out, especially if you need a lift, it's just really great feel-good, bar-room 'old time' music. Springsteen somehow manages to combine all the best elements of country, folk, gospel, blues, honky-tonk, and New Orleans jazz in all these songs from the 'Seeger Sessions' album, and mixes them into this totally uninhibited, happy, and infectious sound. I mean did you ever see a bunch of musicians having such damn fun as they do in these clips, which is something you almost never see these days with all those surly doped-up kids standing around on stage trying to look 'cool'.

If you love the 'old time' music, the 'Seeger Sessions Band' album is a must-have. I could just listen to this sort of thing all day over a beer or two - and sometimes do!

They are taken from 3 seperate TV broadcasts during last year's tour :-

Links :-

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Any music fans?
« Reply #24: January 09, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »
DC area music fans should check out this series by WTOP radio's Neil Augenstine, about former music venues in DC.  Lots of interviews with artists, club owners, and a nice recap of some of the great history of DC music from the 1970's to present.

One of the artists interviewed, Dave Arnson of the Insect Surfers, lived in my dorm for a year while I was there.

http://www.wtop.com/?sid=1018175&nid=226&pid=0