Author Topic: Detwiler to the Rangers  (Read 3533 times)

Offline PC

Re: Detwiler to the Rangers
« Reply #25: December 11, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
And finally, this clears about $3.3M in salary based on the Arbitration Projections by MLBTradeRumors.com

PARTY TIME AT THE LERNER COMPOUND!

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #26: December 11, 2014, 05:11:09 PM »
PARTY TIME AT THE LERNER COMPOUND!

This seems like a bit of a stretch

Offline PC

« Reply #27: December 11, 2014, 05:15:07 PM »

Hardly but you ain't seen nothing yet.  Wait until they trade a $100m+ shortstop for a veteran minimum one whose 2014 line was .221/.288/.365.   They're going to party like it's 2008.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #28: December 11, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »
Good move.  I'll always appreciate his effort in game 4, but the guy never really put it all together.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #29: December 11, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
Hardly but you ain't seen nothing yet.  Wait until they trade a $100m+ shortstop for a veteran minimum one whose 2014 line was .221/.288/.365.   They're going to party like it's 2008.

Yeah but they could have non-tendered Det 10 days ago and didn't, so you really don't have a leg to stand on to call it strictly a cash dump.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #30: December 11, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
PC gonna dumb

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #31: December 11, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »
PC gonna dumb

COSIGN. WORLD STAR HIPHOP.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #32: December 11, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »
I'd love a decent reliever for six years for one year of Ross Detwiler.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #33: December 11, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

:lmao: shocking

Offline PC

« Reply #34: December 11, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »
Yeah but they could have non-tendered Det 10 days ago and didn't, so you really don't have a leg to stand on to call it strictly a cash dump.

Since tendering him didn't cost them anything, they don't get any credit for it.  All non-tendering him would have done was waste an asset and he was clearly an asset as they just traded him away.

Despite the problems that I have with trading Detwiler away for so little, my real problem is as picturized wth Scrooge McDuck.  The objective of building a roster should be acquiring better, not cheaper players.  This offseason, they haven't done anything to make the roster better.  Today, however, it got cheaper.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #35: December 11, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »

Good riddance...

Offline whytev

« Reply #36: December 11, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »
Since tendering him didn't cost them anything, they don't get any credit for it.  All non-tendering him would have done was waste an asset and he was clearly an asset as they just traded him away.

Despite the problems that I have with trading Detwiler away for so little, my real problem is as picturized wth Scrooge McDuck.  The objective of building a roster should be acquiring better, not cheaper players.  This offseason, they haven't done anything to make the roster better.  Today, however, it got cheaper.

If he wasn't good enough for the playoffs, he's depth, not quality. Let Treinen throw.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #37: December 11, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »
If he wasn't good enough for the playoffs, he's depth, not quality. Let Treinen throw.
Agreed. Treinen can take Detwiler's spot. Davis can take Soriano's spot.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #38: December 11, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »
Seems like a smart move.  Doesn't want to pitch in the pen so why not flip him for prospects.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #39: December 11, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
PC being stupid again.

Offline Clever

« Reply #40: December 11, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »

sig material

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #41: December 11, 2014, 08:15:40 PM »

Blake Treinen is probably a better swingman than Det ever would be. Addition by subtraction, dude.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #42: December 11, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
Blake Treinen is probably a better swingman than Det ever would be. Addition by subtraction, dude.

But we signed/traded for no one and the season starts tomorrow!

Offline whytev

« Reply #43: December 11, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »

I just posted in the Treinen prospect thread.  I have something to say about this...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #44: December 11, 2014, 09:12:46 PM »

Opening up a space on the 25 man as well as freeing up an extra $3.3m towards the 2015 budget is a solid Rizzo move on both counts.  I'm glad the team is well run and willing to be a top 10 spender, but that spend has to be directed where it can do the most good.  Still, if you can show me how keeping Detwiler on the roster at $3.3m improves the team, I'm listening. 

:popcorn:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #45: December 11, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »

They got rid of a choker in the pen in Soriano and traded a malcontent who had accomplished nothing since 2012 for two decent prospects.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #46: December 11, 2014, 09:28:39 PM »
So Bostick and de los Santos.  Two guys from Single-A Myrtle Beach???  Not exactly a hefty return.

For a guy who was a no tender candidate its a good haul.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #47: December 11, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »
They got rid of a choker in the pen in Soriano and traded a malcontent who had accomplished nothing since 2012 for two decent prospects.
And they switched Harper and Werth's positions, which will give us a bit of a defensive benefit. That will save 5-6 runs.

Offline PC

« Reply #48: December 11, 2014, 10:42:28 PM »
Opening up a space on the 25 man as well as freeing up an extra $3.3m towards the 2015 budget is a solid Rizzo move on both counts.  I'm glad the team is well run and willing to be a top 10 spender, but that spend has to be directed where it can do the most good.  Still, if you can show me how keeping Detwiler on the roster at $3.3m improves the team, I'm listening. 

:popcorn:

Unless being a top 10 spender is insufficient to maintain your roster.  Sometimes you need to be a top 3 spender.  If minimizing payroll is the objective this offseason, let's just be honest about it and start the dismantling.  This is a problem with the Lerners but not entrely.  It's also a problem with the organization's player development.  If payroll is a concern, which it clearly is, player development needed to be much better.  Zimmermann's, Desmond's and Clippard's replacements should have been ready last season so they could be moved in now so that when those players are traded/walk, we'd be ready to move on.  Strasburg's replacement should be ready now for the same reason, next season.  We have a little more time with Harper but his replacement should have, at least, been identified.  None of these players exist in our system.  That's a problem with player development if being a World Series contender is the objective.

You first, show me how dumping Detwiler for two non-descript AA players makes the team better as opposed to cheaper?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #49: December 11, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »
You first, show me how dumping Detwiler for two non-descript AA players makes the team better as opposed to cheaper?
It replaces the mostly ineffective malcontent Detwiler with the promising Treinen. There. Team is better.