Author Topic: Bad Nationals Nostalgia / "Lean Years" Memories thread (merged)  (Read 27067 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
As a CC resident, I'm both surprised and proud to learn that Nats players party here after games. They don't take the Yellow Line in, do they?

Big luxury rental stock near the ballpark with lots of restaurants. I'm guessing they cab if they don't drive.  There is a also a foreing luxury car dealer real close by across from the Eclipse. 

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Big luxury rental stock near the ballpark with lots of restaurants. I'm guessing they cab if they don't drive.  There is a also a foreing luxury car dealer real close by across from the Eclipse. 

I'd guess it depends on where they live, and if they have brought their families to the area. I think Werth has a house in NoVa. Ryan Z will probably buy a house. I think Tyler Clippard and Drew Storen have an apartment close enough that they can ride bikes to Nats Park. The neighborhood around the Park has zoomed upscale, so maybe some of the players live a few blocks away. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I'd guess it depends on where they live, and if they have brought their families to the area. I think Werth has a house in NoVa. Ryan Z will probably buy a house. I think Tyler Clippard and Drew Storen have an apartment close enough that they can ride bikes to Nats Park. The neighborhood around the Park has zoomed upscale, so maybe some of the players live a few blocks away. 

Over the course of the last several years, I know of a place in S. Arlington where some of the "rookies" lived  ...   My niece and her boyfriend used to "chat" with 'em on occasion in the hall and in the garage.

Online welch

OLD NATS- Pleading with Dad to take me when he took my brother to a Senators game.  He took the both of us.  He answered my questions and taught me to keep score.  THE whole crowd singing the Natio al Anthem.  The whole crowd stomping and screaming WE WANT A HIT until RFK Vibrated.  Autograph day and getting Denny McLains auto because Hondo line was sooooo long!  Listening to my radio shack transister radio under my pillow when I was supposed to be asleep!  Writing Ted Williams telling him Frank Howard deserves to be a first basemen and not an easy position like outfield!  Next game he was at first base!  HONDO HOMERUNS!

My first game: beautiful day when they gave Mickey Vernon his Silver Bat from Hillerich & Bradsby as AL batting champ. The grass was so green. All the special bunting hanging from the grand-stands...usually used only for Opening Day. So beautiful I could hardly breathe. Had upper deck, LF line seats, so we could look down into the visitors' bullpen, which was in the corner between the grandstand and the bleachers. (Nats' bullpen was a low-walled rectangle under the giant RF wall and scoreboard). A swarm of bees attacked the visiting Yankees' bullpen, and I saw Yogi Berra get stung. Yankees won the game, though.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I hope the team trades strasburg for his own good. I'd hate to see mediocre players like desmond, guzman, kennedy, morgan ruin his career. Why would he stay here if we can't give him run support or fielding support. Do the right thung rizzo and help the young man. I look at it like an adoption. Strasburg was born to a trashy welfare mother who can't take care of him (nationals). Often times they realize that they are not fit to parent and should adopt the kid for their own benefit. They give the kid to a rich couple (yankees) who can't conceive, but give the child a great life
Outstanding post by GMUNat in an epic thread following the national TV meltdown by the Nationals against the Braves with rookie Strasburg on the mound.

Those were dark times and the game as a whole would count as "Bad Nationals Nostalgia".

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Hey Spider!  Red Sod won in 2004 and 2007.  Does that mean you can collect twice?  ;)

:lol:  I don't think it works that way. I'll try it though.

Offline machpost

I remember how crappy the TV situation was for the first four years, when they were one of the few big-market teams with little or no games in HD. And back when MASN2 was a part-time channel, there was usually a good chance that it would take a phone call or two to MASN or the cable company to get somebody to flip the switch to turn on the game. I think I was literally the only one watching sometimes, because the problem never seemed to get fixed until I made some calls.

Online welch

There used to be a ballpark: Frank Sinatra sings with pictures fitted to Griffith Stadium...and a nod to the Natinals with a hope of "nevermore"

Online welch

Yes, Number 2 above is Roy Sievers, AL home run champ, 1957. Everybody's hero. Notice the picture of Nick Altrock demonstrating a grip to Pedro Ramos? Camilo Pascual pitching (number 17).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Post Your "Lean Years" Nats Memories Thread
« Reply #334: October 03, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »
When they quit selling the 90 minute IPA. I bawled like a baby

:spit:

Offline NatsTheFats

I just went through my old-childhood baseball cards and came across a Rob Dibble Reds card.

If I can get him to sign it, who wants to buy it from me?

:)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I remember how crappy the TV situation was for the first four years, when they were one of the few big-market teams with little or no games in HD. And back when MASN2 was a part-time channel, there was usually a good chance that it would take a phone call or two to MASN or the cable company to get somebody to flip the switch to turn on the game. I think I was literally the only one watching sometimes, because the problem never seemed to get fixed until I made some calls.

I naged to Ben Goessling on his chat about issues with MASN and he tried to get someone to fix them. I think it was that they forgot to come back after a rain delay.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Remember when we got the 1:00 MLBN slot for huge home games?

Offline NatsTheFats

Remember when we got the 1:00 MLBN slot for huge home games?

That was when we never had "nation-wide" coverage. 

The post season is different.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm hoping Ben gets to cover the playoffs.  I think his gig is the Twins and the Wild.  with the NHL in suspended animation, it'd be a perfect excuse to get him back to DC a bit (if his paper is willing to spring for a road reporter). Maybe the NLCS or World Series.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Remember when people got pissy that we traded Nick Johnson's expiring contract to the Marlins? Never understood why people were so mad about that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Remember when people got pissy that we traded Nick Johnson's expiring contract to the Marlins? Never understood why people were so mad about that.

Cause he was the best hitter we ever had?    :shrug:

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Cause he was the best hitter we ever had?    :shrug:
And made of glass. And on an expiring contract. And forcing Dunn to play the outfield.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
And made of glass. And on an expiring contract. And forcing Dunn to play the outfield.

No disputing any of that, but you fail to understand.  I'm trying to help you.  The dude could create offense crazy good.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I was just annoyed that the pitcher we got was clearly a scrub.

Offline PC

I was just annoyed that the pitcher we got was clearly a scrub.

The dreaded Aaron Thompson.

Offline Bloo

"Would you tickle my tummy"- Rob Dibble, 2009, to Bob Carpenter.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

This entire thread and all the names within.