Author Topic: NFL Thread (2012-13)  (Read 53248 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: NFL Thread (2012)
« Reply #150: March 10, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
I didn't write "top prospect".   I think I simply used "prospects".    My point is college doesn't mean crap, especially at the QB position.   In my view, the QB in the NFL is as much an animal of the system he's in as anything else.   We'll see what Dad and KS do with RGIII. 

Right, Rasta said "top prospect" so I thought you were listing what you thought were top prospects besides Manning.  But yeah, there certainly have been many elite college QBs that were total crap in the NFL.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #151: March 10, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »
Right, Rasta said "top prospect" so I thought you were listing what you thought were top prospects besides Manning.  But yeah, there certainly have been many elite college QBs that were total crap in the NFL.

I wasn't banging on you Nathan but your point here is what I was trying to say.    If RGIII is allowed to use his skills, he may be OK.   If they try to make him John Elway ..  it's an iffy proposition.   My "fear" is the S'hans are set in what they think they can do and simply aren't flexible enough to utilize RGIII's skills.   Look at the QB's they've chosen so far as the 'skins' brain trust.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #152: March 10, 2012, 04:51:36 PM »
If Cleveland was willing to give up the same they'd have the pick since their picks ate better than ours

The ESPN report said that the Browns were willing to give up 3 firsts but the haggle was with the extra second rounder.   

The Browns reportedly made a push for the second overall pick, going so far as to offer at least three No. 1 picks to the Rams and possibly even the second-round pick, one source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/43621/losing-out-on-rg3-is-devastating-to-browns

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #153: March 10, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
Vikes cut Steve Hutchinson. I know he's old and getting older, but I'd love to see him in Cleveland. He'd be a big upgrade over Lauvao/Pinkston even now, and his old coach is now the offensive coordinator of the Browns. Unfortunately, I think it's more likely that he signs on with a team he thinks can win a Super Bowl. Hey Linty, would your Bills be willing to give one of your excess guards? Chad Rinehart would be nice.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #154: March 10, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
I wasn't banging on you Nathan but your point here is what I was trying to say.    If RGIII is allowed to use his skills, he may be OK.   If they try to make him John Elway ..  it's an iffy proposition.   My "fear" is the S'hans are set in what they think they can do and simply aren't flexible enough to utilize RGIII's skills.   Look at the QB's they've chosen so far as the 'skins' brain trust.

This.

Hey Linty, would your Bills be willing to give one of your excess guards? Chad Rinehart would be nice.

Crazy how Rinehart is coveted by some yet was discarded as crap by Shanahan.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #155: March 10, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
The ESPN report said that the Browns were willing to give up 3 firsts but the haggle was with the extra second rounder.   

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/43621/losing-out-on-rg3-is-devastating-to-browns

I wonder fisher and co are expressing their confidence in the shennihi vs holmgren

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #156: March 10, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

Crazy how Rinehart is coveted by some yet was discarded as crap by Shanahan.

I think Rinehart graded out as a top 15 G this year according to PFF.

And from what I've read... the Bills are trying to lock him up long term.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #157: March 10, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
I'd guess that the Bills will keep Rinehart as insurance for the inevitable Eric Wood injury.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #158: March 10, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
I'd guess that the Bills will keep Rinehart as insurance for the inevitable Eric Wood injury.

He's only tore his ACL and shattered his leg. He's got plenty of other body parts to maim as well!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #159: March 10, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »
I wonder fisher and co are expressing their confidence in the shennihi vs holmgren

:icon_question:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #160: March 10, 2012, 07:21:20 PM »
:icon_question:

Redskins picks will be better than browns over next two years

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #161: March 10, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »
That will be determined this draft. If they pass on Flynn, which I think is likely, Cleveland either takes Tannehill at four or trades down to get him, takes the best available tackle at twenty-two, my man Alshon Jeffrey at thirty-seven, and the best available DE at sixty-eight. In free agency, they'll need to target a CB (Terrell Thomas?) and a guard. (Not Jacob Bell. He was with Shurmur in St. Louis, so I'm sort of expecting him, but he sucks.)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #162: March 10, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »

Exactly. 

Offline PC

« Reply #163: March 10, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »
You know, for all of the non-Redskins fans, not just here but all over the web, snarkily posting about how much the Redskins gave up, we (Redskins fans) know the dreck this team has put under center, week after week, for too many years.  You can't win like this.  This team was faced with the more dreck under center, more stop gaps and never having a chance to win because, unfortunately, good quarterbacks don't just happen.  You have to go out and get one.  If your team has a good quarterback, it's easy to throw stones.

...but they did give up lot.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #164: March 10, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »
  You have to go out and get one. 

As a non-skins' fan, my unwanted observation is not about giving up too much to get him.   It's about letting this young man play QB and not freak him up.    The S'hans have to change their "plan".     They have never worked with a player like this.    This ain't Elway or McNabb or Grossman.    If they try to make him into their prototype, then the 'skins will have given up too much.   

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #165: March 11, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »
Maybe I'm not understanding you, but are you saying Brady had less weapons than Manning? 

This is absolutely true over the course of their careers though. People forget that Brady had a pretty average offense until 2007. Troy Brown was the best receiver, and then you had guys like Deion Branch, David Patten, Ben Watson, Daniel Graham, Antoine Smith, etc. The only great offensive player he really had other than Brown was Corey Dillon in 04. In Indy, Manning had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark who were all great players, and then Edgerrin James who was pretty good.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #166: March 11, 2012, 02:46:24 PM »
Cleveland either takes Tannehill at four

Tannehill at 4? That's ridiculous. He's a low first rounder at best, he should be a second rounder.

IMO, he's roughly as good as Ryan Mallett was last year, and Mallett was a 3rd rounder.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #167: March 11, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
To punctuate this blunder:

"With the 2nd pick in the 2012 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select, Matt Kalil, OT, USC."  :crackup:

No no. It has to be Justin Blackmon so it can be compared to Matt Millen and the Lions.

Oh god ... if this happened ... I would laugh so freaking hard

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #168: March 11, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »
This is absolutely true over the course of their careers though.

I guess it shows that I didn't watch the NFL again until 2005, huh?  ;)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #169: March 11, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »
Tannehill at 4? That's ridiculous. He's a low first rounder at best, he should be a second rounder.

IMO, he's roughly as good as Ryan Mallett was last year, and Mallett was a 3rd rounder.
Christian Ponder shouldn't have gone twelfth last year, but he did. If a team that needs a QB thinks that a guy could work for them and they don't have any other option, they'll be more than willing to overdraft him. Mallett fell because of character issues, not because of talent issues. If he wasn't a knucklehead, he would have gone in the first round.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #170: March 11, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
His character issues were wildly overstated. The difference between this year and previous years is that it's much easier to trade down because of the rookie scale - the Rams wouldn't have gotten that haul two years ago for the #2 pick. So I think that if Cleveland wants Tannehill, they can get him with their second 1st rounder. They don't have no options, as you are implying.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #171: March 11, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
His character issues were wildly overstated.

He missed scheduled interviews with teams and was a cokehead.  Overstated?

Offline blue911

« Reply #172: March 11, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »
He missed scheduled interviews with teams and was a cokehead.  Overstated?

I thought that was Dan Marino

Offline mitlen

« Reply #173: March 11, 2012, 05:47:56 PM »
His character issues were wildly overstated.

Character "issues" (rumors) is why the Steelers didn't take Marino in '83.   How'd that work out?    LOL

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #174: March 11, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
I'm not sure that Tannehill gets past Seattle at twelve. It will all depend on what happens in free agency. The ideal situation for Cleveland would be if Seattle signs Flynn and Miami gets Manning. That would probably ensure that Tannehill lasts until twenty-two. If that doesn't happen, I'd be okay with them taking him at four or trading down with someone between five and eleven who wants Kalil or Blackmon.