Author Topic: Cliff Lee Signs with the Phillies  (Read 3074 times)

Offline EdStroud

Cliff Lee Signs with the Phillies
« Topic Start: December 14, 2010, 06:37:40 AM »
I know it is in the "Rumors" thread but now it is headlined

He took less money says Fox Sports and MLB.com

Sources told MLB.com late Monday night that Cliff Lee, the most highly coveted free-agent pitcher on the market, has agreed to a five-year contract with the Phillies with a vesting option for a sixth year. The deal is in the $120 million range.

Phillie rotation
Doc Halladay
Cliff Lee
Roy Oswalt
Cole Hamels
Joe Blanton

Chief/Tom- move to where you want this topic line

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Cliff Lee Signs with the Phillies
« Reply #1: December 14, 2010, 07:02:25 AM »
We might as well go ahead and pencil them in for 120 wins...

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2: December 14, 2010, 07:21:18 AM »
We might as well go ahead and pencil them in for 120 wins...
Last time I checked they play the games starting in April, not in December. Stuff happens. We can't be afraid to compete. Bring 'em on. It will be that much sweeter when we do beat them.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3: December 14, 2010, 07:25:43 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The Phillies can't do this year after year, can they? Their promised salary the next five years has to be insane.

I assume that they are spending while they have their core under contract, and that they can't afford to be another NYY/BOS forever.

I hope.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #4: December 14, 2010, 07:48:45 AM »
Wow, just wow. 

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #5: December 14, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »

The Phillies can't do this year after year, can they? Their promised salary the next five years has to be insane.

I assume that they are spending while they have their core under contract, and that they can't afford to be another NYY/BOS forever.

I hope.

What's wrong with the NATs stepping it up so we can be the NYY/BOS rivalry of the NL East, we've already got the part where we can't stand the Fillies down pat, now we got to work on the intense rivalry based on well matched competitive teams.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: December 14, 2010, 08:45:13 AM »

I hope.
Actually, they have as good of a market as Boston. Don't know if they have a the regional sports network as strong as NESN, but they have more eyeballs, decent wealth in the suburbs, and been a sleeping monster for a long time.  This division is about as tough as the AL East in terms of market power. Fortunately, the Mets never learned how to use it and the Braves had to take a step back when TBS wasn't sending their games around the country anymore.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: December 14, 2010, 08:48:41 AM »
What's wrong with the NATs stepping it up so we can be the NYY/BOS rivalry of the NL East, we've already got the part where we can't stand the Fillies down pat, now we got to work on the intense rivalry based on well matched competitive teams.

By many measures, we should be capable of competing once we fully develop this market.  The prinicpal pitch to MLB had to do with the rich counties in NoVa and the TV market.  Seriously, in the recent survey (was it Forbes or the census bureau), didn't we have about half of the 10 richest counties in the country - Loudoun, Fairfax, MoCo, Arlington, maybe Charles?

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #8: December 14, 2010, 09:06:41 AM »

I hope.

Cliff Lee and Ryan Howard are actually the only two players they're committed to Beyond 2013.  They got some flak for that Howard deal but paying him for the extra years to be sure he's around during this window looks pretty smart to me now. 

Online blue911

« Reply #9: December 14, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
By many measures, we should be capable of competing once we fully develop this market.  The prinicpal pitch to MLB had to do with the rich counties in NoVa and the TV market.  Seriously, in the recent survey (was it Forbes or the census bureau), didn't we have about half of the 10 richest counties in the country - Loudoun, Fairfax, MoCo, Arlington, maybe Charles?

Calvert not Charles.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #10: December 14, 2010, 09:21:01 AM »
Ha!

Trying to buy championships are you? After all, it's worked so well for the Mets, Redskins, etc., freak philly, bring it - you stupid unemployed drunk jerks, I'm not scared of you.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: December 14, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »
the actual list, if you trust the Examiner and Forbes, is:
http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/6-10-richest-counties-us-are-dc-area

1) Loudoun
2) Fairfax
3) Howard
6) Fairfax City (but that isn't a county?)
. . .
9) Arlington
10) Montgomery Burns

And, just below:
12) Stafford
13)  Calvert
14) Prince William (have i got a land deal for you)

and, where the heck is Goochland (#16)?
Charles is #21.

When you see that list, you wonder, if the Springfield Mall development had blown up a bit earlier and the mixing bowl project finished a bit earlier, would the Springfield Mall site been a good location for a stadium?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: December 14, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Fairfax City is considered an independent non-county entity, same as Alexandria and Falls Church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Virginia

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #13: December 14, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »
Ha!

Trying to buy championships are you? After all, it's worked so well for the Mets, Redskins, etc., freak philly, bring it - you stupid unemployed drunk jerks, I'm not scared of you.
I like your style, my friend. And BTW, Cliff Lee can now lose two games to the Gaints in the NLCS instead of the World Series.

BRING. THEM. ON.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #14: December 14, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »

Goochland is north and west of Richmond (west of Henrico county) - pretty part of the state

Online blue911

« Reply #15: December 14, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »
Goochland is north and west of Richmond (west of Henrico county) - pretty part of the state

I thought it was in New Jersey

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #16: December 14, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »
the actual list, if you trust the Examiner and Forbes, is:
http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/6-10-richest-counties-us-are-dc-area

1) Loudoun
2) Fairfax
3) Howard
6) Fairfax City (but that isn't a county?)
. . .
9) Arlington
10) Montgomery Burns

And, just below:
12) Stafford
13)  Calvert
14) Prince William (have i got a land deal for you)

Charles is #21.

When you see that list, you wonder, if the Springfield Mall development had blown up a bit earlier and the mixing bowl project finished a bit earlier, would the Springfield Mall site been a good location for a stadium?
That would have been a bad spot. The traffic there is bad now. Just imagine how bad it would be with a stadium 81 days a year during rush hour

Online blue911

« Reply #17: December 14, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »
IS the Ryan Howard contract still stupid? It covers the same ages as Cliff Lee's, or is the difference between genius and stupidity $1M a year?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: December 14, 2010, 10:12:25 AM »
I thought it was in New Jersey

Really?

Goochland is north west of Richmond... on the way to Charlottesville. I believe per person, it's one of the richest counties in the country.

It's mostly just farm land... but the people that do live there, have some money.

I also might or might not work for a paper in Goochland.

Online blue911

« Reply #19: December 14, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »
Really?

Goochland is north west of Richmond... on the way to Charlottesville. I believe per person, it's one of the richest counties in the country.

It's mostly just farm land... but the people that do live there, have some money.

I also might or might not work for a paper in Goochland.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gooch

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21: December 14, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »
IS the Ryan Howard contract still stupid? It covers the same ages as Cliff Lee's, or is the difference between genius and stupidity $1M a year?
"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."
- David St. Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #22: December 14, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »

Well, if you think Howard's equally valuable, then it's clear which is which.

Offline xposbrad

« Reply #23: December 14, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
They have a SCARY rotation. That is really amazing. The phils should easily win the division for the next couple of years. Is there a point for us to even try? They have 4 #1 starters...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #24: December 14, 2010, 12:06:50 PM »
Is there a point for us to even try? They have 4 #1 starters...
Absolutely.  Get Greinke.  Pair him with SS next year and pick up one of the other #1s that will be on the market next year.  If they do get Webb or Wang and one of them pans out and Zmann is what some think he can be, I'll take that rotation going up vs. the Phillies or anybody else's.