Author Topic: Rafael Soriano is ours!!!! *evil laugh* 2 years $28 million  (Read 7943 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
What a bunch of crap. He says they have the most to gain from improvements but few places to improve. What does that mean?

improving our few weak areas could get us to a title I suppose?

Offline Mattionals

But then there's this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19647645&topic_id=players&c_id=was&tcid=vpp_copy_19647645&v=3

It's mind boggling how lights out or flood lights on he is.  If he isn't traded, I'm going to start getting that itch in ST when he looks good again and can't wait to see him pitch in the bigs only to see him screw it up.  He is a scout's dream but the control just isn't there.

Offline houston-nat

What a bunch of crap. He says they have the most to gain from improvements but few places to improve. What does that mean?
It means that it's harder for us to improve because we're so awesome already, but the more we improve, the better shot we have at being champions.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline DPMOmaha

One good inning in two years means nothing to me.
But it's why he's still on the team.  Plus, he's had more than one good inning.

Offline codedandunited

Starting depth?

That f#cking Rizzo. Comes up with these things out of thin air.
Basically!  I stopped paying attention to any Nats rumour, they're almost always wrong and this crap comes out of thin air.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
But it's why he's still on the team.  Plus, he's had more than one good inning.

4.26 Runs per every 9 innings, and 1.47 runners allowed on base per inning in 95 innings of work in DC. Which is even worse than his Oakland numbers. He's garbage, and he's been living off that one inning for two years.

Must be nice.

Offline DPMOmaha

4.26 Runs per every 9 innings, and 1.47 runners allowed on base per inning in 95 innings of work in DC. Which is even worse than his Oakland numbers. He's garbage, and he's been living off that one inning for two years.

Must be nice.
Sure.  He's not going anywhere before late March, though.

Offline hammondsnats

DPM, just stop.  nobody wants him here, except for like 3 people. 

we're foolish to even entertaining the thought that he should be going to spring training with the club. 

cut the losses now.  don't get seduced by his "live" arm again.  gone are the days we tend to projects. 

Offline DPMOmaha

Didn't say he should be, said he would be no matter how loud you want to type, which is true.

Offline hammondsnats

Didn't say he should be, said he would be no matter how loud you want to type, which is true.

it's stupid.  they can't fall back in the trap of "his potential".

i can nag all i want, again it's stupid of the club to do so.

Offline Coladar

By the by, this deal totally freaking blows my BSing about our ranking third in offseason improvements to Hell and beyond. Short of the Jays, this was our offseason. We were headed for high expectations in 2013 at the end of last season, but now  it's WS or bust.

I love how I've read folks that say this deal is out of the blue and unexpected. The player, maybe. But the position? As I've read several articles mentioning, our Game 5 collapse? This was a massive hole experience and confidence wise. Now I can feel safe going into postseason where I might not have with the roster we had yesterday. I love Storen and Clip, but this was a massive hole and danger zone for us come postseason. Now it is one of our greatest strengths.

Rizzo is truly a genius, and I hope every former LAC blasphemer is kneeling and begging forgiveness before Teddy boy's feet. I always avoided joining that particular bandwagon until we had a shot and still had a laughable payroll. As much as it wouldn't have hurt to have spent earlier... well, it would have. We wouldn't have Strasburg or Harper.

Offline hammondsnats

why should we beg?  thanking him for $36 million dollar payroll seasons?

they are finally doing their job and they should be commended for it.

Online blue911

Has anybody mentioned that $14M of this is deferred until 2018-24?

Offline MorseTheHorse

This year we are all LANC and SSS. 

Offline houston-nat

Gotta be a place for HRod on a team like the Astros. They can send us cash.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
This year we are all LANC and SSS. 

SSS? Nah. LANC? Probably.

Online HalfSmokes

Gotta be a place for HRod on a team like the Astros. They can send us cash.

how is hrod better than a random aaa reliever that every team already has?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline hammondsnats

the LAC will just change its name to LWC when the time is right, as we've said all along.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I love how I've read folks that say this deal is out of the blue and unexpected. The player, maybe. But the position? As I've read several articles mentioning, our Game 5 collapse? This was a massive hole experience and confidence wise. 
Wisdom, or at least coherence, buried here.  nice point.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
I love how I've read folks that say this deal is out of the blue and unexpected. The player, maybe. But the position? As I've read several articles mentioning, our Game 5 collapse? This was a massive hole experience and confidence wise. Now I can feel safe going into postseason where I might not have with the roster we had yesterday. I love Storen and Clip, but this was a massive hole and danger zone for us come postseason. Now it is one of our greatest strengths.

Agreed. This team was hoping to be in WC hunt last season, but having the best record in baseball was unexpected. They were living with no real closer for a while. Storen is still learning to pitch in the majors and has not established himself. A team making the run at a title needs to be secure there.

Closers are overrated and overpaid more than any position, but you still need someone reliable. All closers blow saves, and the best still blow saves in big games. But that should be due to the other team beating you. Storen's performance was dreadful in game 5. He didn't just get hit. He failed to throw strikes. He's a great kid and a talent, but he has a lot to prove before he should be trusted in that role. They needed insurance there, and they went much further. This is a huge statement to whole organization.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
the LAC will just change its name to LWC when the time is right, as we've said all along.

The LAC will go dormant for a length. They will erupt at some point. When? Who knows. Let's hope it's a long long time from now.