Author Topic: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 1  (Read 11894 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 1
« Reply #125: June 26, 2009, 09:30:17 PM »
Obviously, nobody wanted to see Hanrahan enter the game. But, I have some mixed feelings about roster management and a lot of the complaints we hear here.  Manny's got 25 guys, and in the major leagues you pretty much have to use all of them.  Not every night, of course, but if you don't rest your regulars, they wear down and are less effective.  Manny's got at least 4, if not 5 players right now that are completely worthless, which is too many to avoid.

Hanrahan
Colome
Belliard
Kearns
and Villone is rapidly moving towards the category.   

I hear you. But I think he uses them incorrectly. This was a 3-1 game. Bergesen is pitching well, but a 3-1 game is as winnable as the Nats can expect to get. Hanrahan would be a guy you bring in now. Kearns and Belliard can be used more effectively than Manny has used them. I was shocked that Kearns wasn't subbed for Dunn last night. And Belliard should be getting pinch hit at bats earlier so that he gets more at bats in rather than expecting him to get no at bats and then get the critical at bat in the 8th or 9th.

The bigger problem is that the organization refuses to address the roster constraints that Manny has to deal with. They either need to direct him to use people differently or make changes.