Author Topic: Pitching Choices for the Post Season  (Read 918 times)

natslive

Pitching Choices for the Post Season
« Topic Start: September 15, 2005, 07:50:40 AM »
Some thoughts on post season free agency and trades. The Nats don't have a lot of help in teh system for next year. They also don't have the talent to deal for top  line pitching.

If I left someone out sorry.

Starting Ptching

RHPs with Options

Jason Schmidt
Jeff Suppan
Elmer Dessens
John Thomson
Steve Trachsel
Joe Mays
Esteban Loaiza

RHPs

The big two are Burnett and Schmidt. Weaver, Morris, Millwood, Byrd and Johnson may be good pick ups too. Nats are in a tough position compared to the other clubs. Hopefully they can avoid a situation where they can?t get an owner while watching the big spenders grab up the best players.

The Nats need to sign Loaiza to a two-year deal. I read where the Dodgers might be interested. Having seen Armas pitch in the minors I still think he can be a good pitcher but it has been painful watching him this year.

I also want to mention that the Nats should take a look at John Maine. Maine is a good kid with the talent and nerve to pitch in the minors. The Os left him in AAA for most of the year and could be an option. How much the Os would want for him is another question.

Eric Milton was high on Jimbo?s list but Cincy didn?t want to deal with Jimbo. Odalis Perez might be a post-season target and has been mentioned (so were Schmidt and Kip Wells) in trade talks. I read where the Nats expressed in interest in Jason Johnson but no deal could be worked out, evidently the Nats also looked at Danys Baez from Tampa.

There are some pitchers who might be available from Japan but I don?t see the Nats having much of a chance with them.

Pedro Astacio
Andy Ashby
Matt Morris
Scott Elarton
Ariel Prieto
A.J. Burnett
Jeff Weaver
Hideo Nomo
Brett Tomko
Kevin Brown
Brian Moehler
Jason Johnson
Paul Byrd
Aaron Myette
Jamey Wright
Jose Lima
Ismael Valdez
Kevin Millwood
Rick Helling
Tony Armas Jr.

LKPs with Options

Tom Glavine
Mark Redman
Glendon Rusch

Of  these LHPs Washburn would have the most appeal to the Nats. My favorite is Lilly who I think would be a nice addition. Rogers would be an interesting choice to say the least.

LHPs

Al Leiter
Brian Anderson
Jamie Moyer
Kenny Rogers
Ted Lilly
Shawn Estes
Jarrod Washburn
John Halama