Author Topic: Is it too much to ask for this team to win a season against the Marlins?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
It's one thing for them to dominate us when we're a losing team, but this is flipping ridiculous.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
It's one thing for them to dominate us when we're a losing team, but this is flipping ridiculous.

Whole bunch of plus ones.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Apparently yes.

Offline PC

Johnson clearly felt no urgency about this, sitting Desmond AND Zimmerman today.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
No one can stop Big Giancarlo Stanton.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

It's too much to ask for, when you ask for it down by seven in the top of the 8th inning.

Next year, make sure to ask much earlier so the Nats play better for you.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
WS wins not on the radar?

Giants lost twice to the Skins last year and won the championship.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Eh, until today, we actually competed with them.

Just going to be our achilles heel

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Marlins improved with that trade...dumped the "won't play" guys. Will be tougher next season.

Still, on to NY and

Beat the Mets
beat the Mets
step right up and
greet the Mets

you know the Mets are really
playin some ball
givin up home runs
right over the wall

So East Side, West Side
all around the town
See the New York Mets fall down!!

(Metsie theme song)

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

Reyes won't play if a batting title is on the line, and that says all you need to know about his character.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
It 's my great fortune to attend both Friday's downer and today's sleeper.  Today was particularly awful - a dull, boring, listless performance.

Well, on to NY.

Offline PC

It 's my great fortune to attend both Friday's downer and today's sleeper.  Today was particularly awful - a dull, boring, listless performance.

Well, on to NY.

I was thinking listless too, the most listless game of the season.

I was switching between the Redskins game (more Redskins as the game went on)...did anybody try to bunt today?  Did anybody do anything to break Nolasco's rhythm today or did they just take what he was giving them?

Offline DPMOmaha

We split the season series with them.  Better than we've done in years.  Guess I'm not gonna get too worked up over it if we can hold on to the division and #1 seed.  We've already won the series vs. the Mets and Braves and have a chance to it to the Phils, too. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
We split the season series with them.  Better than we've done in years.  Guess I'm not gonna get too worked up over it if we can hold on to the division and #1 seed.  We've already won the series vs. the Mets and Braves and have a chance to it to the Phils, too. 

I hate the freaking marlins - but this is my sentiment as well

Offline hammondsnats

this blows.  and braves are 5.5 back. 

SSS sucks.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Real season starts tomorrow night. Braves are five and a half back. We got this.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I was thinking listless too, the most listless game of the season.

I was switching between the Redskins game (more Redskins as the game went on)...did anybody try to bunt today?  Did anybody do anything to break Nolasco's rhythm today or did they just take what he was giving them?

Drones marching steadily to the plate, taking their programmed swings, marching silently back to the dugout. 

I think they got discouraged by the Marlins' early luck - every grounder finding a hole, Hawpa's faux pas, etc. 

Offline Ray D

Johnson clearly felt no urgency about this

And what was the urgency?

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude

+1.  8-3 on the homestand, lead .5 games worse than what it was after the last Atlanta series, despite being 9-7 in that time.  We're good - need to get on track against the Mets and take 2 of 3, but no panic.

Nolasco is our daddy - I swear he has mind control on the Nats.  9-0 a few weeks ago in Miami; 8-0 yesterday.  I'd be happy to see that guy get paid by Boston in the offseason.

Offline PC

The urgency is that the Braves are playing like their hair is on fire.  They are in FULL desperation mode.  Long term, this is a terrible strategy but it's the perfect strategy for making up 7.5 games with about 3+ weeks to play.

I mentioned it in the GDT that Gonzalez used Kimbrel in a situation that most managers (especially Fredi Gonzalez) never use their closers.  In the middle of June, in a tie road game in the 9th, your closer waits in the bullpen until your team gets a lead and then he closes the game.  If the lead doesn't come, the closer doesn't play.  Davey Johnson is famous for this "strategy".  Kimbrel went in the 9th in a tie game, knowing full well that the last at-bat would be the Mets and another pitcher would have to close the game, assuming the Braves scored. 

As it turned out, it almost blew up in their faces because the Mets came close to scoring in the bottom of the 10th against Moylan after the Braves took the lead in the top of the 10th.

The Braves made up 2 games this weekend and they seem to be willing to do anything (ANYTHING!) to win this division.  That's the urgency.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
The urgency is that the Braves are playing like their hair is on fire.  They are in FULL desperation mode.  Long term, this is a terrible strategy but it's the perfect strategy for making up 7.5 games with about 3+ weeks to play.

I mentioned it in the GDT that Gonzalez used Kimbrel in a situation that most managers (especially Fredi Gonzalez) never use their closers.  In the middle of June, in a tie road game in the 9th, your closer waits in the bullpen until your team gets a lead and then he closes the game.  Davey Johnson is famous for this "strategy".  Kimbrel went in the 9th in a tie game, knowing full well that the last at-bat would be the Mets and another pitcher would have to close the game, assuming the Braves scored. 

As it turned out, it almost blew up in their faces because the Mets came close to scoring in the bottom of the 10th against Moylan after the Braves took the lead in the top of the 10th.

The Braves made up 2 games this weekend and they seem to be willing to do anything (ANYTHING!) to win this division.  That's the urgency.

Nats started the homestand 5 games up on the Braves
They finished the homestand 5.5 games up on the Braves

They just went 8-3

Lighten up Francis

Offline PC

Nats started the homestand 5 games up on the Braves
They finished the homestand 5.5 games up on the Braves

They just went 8-3

Lighten up Francis

Yeah, but it was 7.5 up on Friday.

Offline Ray D

It would take a fairly colossal collapse for us not to win the division, and if that happens it won't much matter that we lost yesterday.  If we continue to play as we have the past month, we'll win it going away, but still, along the way we're going to lose anywhere from seven to 12 games.  Yesterday was as good a time as any for one of those losses.  As to the Brewers - the Cardinals certainly came here with a sense of urgency and we took three of four (and probably should have swept).  We're playing the Brewers here, and that makes a difference.  We should win that series. As to the Braves - sure, we'll lose two of three, so they'll gain one game.   Probably lose two of three to the Dodgers.    The Mets series is somewhat of a key: if we lose two to them then I'll start to worry.

But I think that had Davey pushed the panic button yesterday - we still would have lost, and we'd be worse off.   I think he knew, from the fifth inning, that it was a lost cause, and he gave some guys some rest.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Yeah, but it was 7.5 up on Friday.

The Nats just went 8-3, that's outstanding. 

Are you seriously going to have a heart attack after every loss?  In the meantime, you're missing the ride. The Nats have the BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL. That's AMAZING. How many body parts would you have been willing to give up if someone told you at the beginning of the year that on September 10th, the Nats would have the best record in baseball? 

The Braves are chasing us - They've been chasing us since APRIL

What we're watching is completely awesome, try to enjoy it a little

Offline PC

It would take a fairly colossal collapse for us not to win the division...

Not true.  It would take losing a few series.   Assuming no sweeps, if we lose the series to the Mets and the Braves win the series against the Brewers (both certainly possible), the lead is down to 4.5.  If the Braves win the series against us, the lead is down to 3.5.  A 3.5 game lead is not a very big lead with two weeks left to play.

And again, I assumed no sweeps.  If sweeps come in, we could be in second place at the end of the Braves series and sweeps are not out of the question.  It's not out of the question for the Mets to sweep the Nationals (if the Nationals can lose the way they lost to Ricky Nolasco yesterday, they can lose to any pitcher) and the Braves to sweep the Brewers (despite the fact that the Brewers are playing fairly well now) and for the Braves to sweep the Nationals (primarily because of the desperation of the Braves and the lack thereof of the Nationals).

Look at the remaining schedule also, the Braves have an easier schedule than the Nationals.