Author Topic: Linux Thread  (Read 20454 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Linux Thread
« Reply #50: January 20, 2010, 04:13:44 AM »
crazy.  I loaded PuppyLinux with Unetbootin...

wireless card worked natively, after running the network wizard. ridiculously easy to set up.

going to sleep now, will explore puppylinux more tomorrow.  apparently you can get the same window manager that gOS has on Puppy. if so.....I'm freakin set.
Nice!  I still say try Xubuntu though.  Ubuntu's community support makes it much easier to get things working.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #51: January 20, 2010, 04:26:58 AM »
downside: apparently, google chrome does not support puppy linux. bleh.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #52: January 20, 2010, 07:54:13 AM »
haaaaaa. freaking around with options inside puppylinux, i freaked up my computer. now i need an actual live cd (not Netubootin) to fix it.

gonna take this opportunity to go ahead and switch to linux for real. puppylinux most likely, i really liked it.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #53: January 20, 2010, 07:55:26 AM »
where would i get a live cd if i cant currently make one myself? do computer stores make them sometimes?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #54: January 20, 2010, 08:40:20 AM »
where would i get a live cd if i cant currently make one myself? do computer stores make them sometimes?

Unlikely for something bizarre like puppylinux. Library would be my suggestion.

http://puppylinux.com/download/index.html#Purchase

That works too.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #55: January 20, 2010, 08:56:15 AM »
Is that just Windows or is that the total memory usage for everything on your laptop?

That's Windows and whatever else is running in the background.  Not a whole lot, admittedly, but still.  Since when did 350 MB become "horribly bloated" for an entire cutting-edge operating system?  Also keep in mind that 7 tends to scale memory usage in relation to how much memory is available.

I still think he'd see an increase in speed by trying out a lightweight linux distro, especially compared to an XP installation that is who knows how old.  If he had the install disc, a fresh install of XP would probably show some significant speed boosts as well.

I'm not contesting that a lightweight 'nix or a fresh install of anything would be faster, I just take issue with PA's rampant proclamations of absolute knowledge.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #56: January 20, 2010, 09:05:40 AM »
I just take issue with PA's rampant proclamations of absolute knowledge.

I forgive you, my son.

He's running XP. What does anything you have to say about Windows 7 have anything to do with it?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #57: January 20, 2010, 10:47:43 AM »
I was sick all long weekend + yesterday, and still not feeling 100%, so forgive my crankiness.  A simple "I take exception to your assertion" would have sufficed :-[

That said, XP's footprint on a clean install should be even smaller, though not dramatically so.  The problem with XP is that it doesn't maintain itself nearly as well as 7 over time.

Honestly while 640 RAM isn't a lot, it should be more than sufficient for basic cloud usage, regardless of OS (except Vista).  The real bottleneck on that system is going to be the CPU and HDD, and there isn't much that can be done about that.

I'd like to mention Xubuntu as another candidate.  While it won't be as light as puppy or DSL, it's still a fairly light and full-featured distro.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #58: January 20, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
  The problem with XP is that it doesn't maintain itself nearly as well as 7 over time.

Yeah, that's what I was trying clumsily to say.

But what's the internet for if not unfounded, staunch assertions? :lol:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #59: January 20, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
nt

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #60: January 20, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
from what i can tell, xubuntu is better about compatibility. seems to be an inordinate amount of manual tweaking that needs to be done to make linux-native apps run in puppylinux.

gonna see if i can get someone to make me a xubuntu live cd.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #61: January 20, 2010, 12:09:20 PM »
ok, now i have a problem.

cant find my xp disc. need a live cd and dont have a computer capable of making one right now. bleh.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #62: January 20, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
ok, now i have a problem.

cant find my xp disc. need a live cd and dont have a computer capable of making one right now. bleh.
http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/866

Xubuntu discs for free, but you do have to pay $2.07 shipping.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #63: January 22, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
I got a LiveCD for Puppy Linux now, I think.

so I'm gonna use it to fix what I freaked up on the computer. don't think I'm even gonna bother re-installing Windows though.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #64: January 22, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
so, got my boot issue fixed, got my puppy linux livecd. formatted my hd, installed puppy on it. to my surprise, my wireless card was a breeze to set up. i was on the web in like 30 seconds.

now to start really exploring the OS, and customizing.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #65: January 22, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »
so, got my boot issue fixed, got my puppy linux livecd. formatted my hd, installed puppy on it. to my surprise, my wireless card was a breeze to set up. i was on the web in like 30 seconds.

now to start really exploring the OS, and customizing.
Is it noticably quicker now?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #66: January 22, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
dunno. i am out atm, didnt have time to really play with it. i will see when i get home.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #67: January 22, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Is it noticably quicker now?

It's noticeably cuter

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #68: January 22, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
i want the GUI that gOS has. its called Enlightenment, apparently compatible with puppylinux too.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #69: January 22, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »
i want the GUI that gOS has. its called Enlightenment, apparently compatible with puppylinux too.

Sorta. Enlightenment is a window manager which effectively controls how the menus and windows work but to get the same desktop you'd need to go and get each of the applications or widgets that gOS provides. Hopefully that makes sense; trying to avoid getting overly geeky.

If you want it to look like gOS you might as well go with gOS. Granted, you can do some tricky stuff to do both but it runs counter to the minimal install and keeping it simple approach you were talking about earlier.

Here's a tricky way to make various ubuntu flavors install the gOS desktop.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=602640

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #70: January 22, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
oh yeah..this is a LOT faster than it was with XP.

(using Chrome). 

and damn...this OS is SMALL.

one issue with chrome though...something is quirky with the fonts, but from what I hear that is universal to the Linux version.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #71: January 22, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »
Sorta. Enlightenment is a window manager which effectively controls how the menus and windows work but to get the same desktop you'd need to go and get each of the applications or widgets that gOS provides. Hopefully that makes sense; trying to avoid getting overly geeky.

If you want it to look like gOS you might as well go with gOS. Granted, you can do some tricky stuff to do both but it runs counter to the minimal install and keeping it simple approach you were talking about earlier.

Here's a tricky way to make various ubuntu flavors install the gOS desktop.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=602640

I see. really all i want is that bar at the bottom of the screenshot, in place of the standard taskbar. we'll see how it goes. i'm trying to figure Linux out first before I make any major changes to the default. it's a lot of new lingo and crap.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #72: January 22, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
If you haven't already, grab the TrueType fonts. Puppy instructions below.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37847

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #73: January 22, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »
If you haven't already, grab the TrueType fonts. Puppy instructions below.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37847

that's a pretty nice forum. i registered for it this morning while i was at the library trying to get the livecd.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #74: January 22, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
I see. really all i want is that bar at the bottom of the screenshot, in place of the standard taskbar.
It's called wbar.  That's why I suggested something like xubuntu, very active community and easy peasy to install most things, either on the command line or through a graphical package manager.