Author Topic: MLB Videogames  (Read 28463 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: MLB Videogames
« Reply #25: February 14, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
Ugh, even games hate us. They didn't do research on our park, the left field wall is 2x the size it is :lol:

It was like this in last years game but i let it slide cause it just opened, but not changing it? that sucks. aw well.

Looks pretty good, though.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #26: February 28, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »
I just watched some gameplay videos of MLB 09: The Show. I don't get why people think it's going to be better than 2K9. Both look pretty good to me.

Offline fan

• If Yost becomes Manager, I am done w/ the Nats.
« Reply #27: March 01, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
Which game are you guys getting tomorrow night?  The Show 09 or MLB 2k9?

Here's an HD video of a The Show game (courtesy of pastapadre) with the Nats and Pads.  AZ might want to fast forward to about the 8:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIZkJXO3J4&eurl=http://www.pastapadre.com/6677/mlb-09-the-show-is-here

MrMadison

« Reply #28: March 01, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »
the show is vastly superior to 2k9. unfortunately unless you own a ps3, you dont get that choice.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #29: March 01, 2009, 07:35:39 PM »
Three straight years of Vasgersian saying the exact same things. That was annoying last year. It'll be even worse this year. Gameplay isn't great either. I was planning on getting both, but I'll probably just get 2K9 on Tuesday.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #30: March 01, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »
theres already a thread about this is the off-topic section.

2k9 has already been found to have numerous franchise glitches and is probably a year away from even coming close to the show. the commentary in 2k9 is probably better but the gameplay is much more closer to real-life. not to mention the faces and stances are a lot better. 2k9 claims to have 300+ signature stances but most of the phillies and rays don't have their own.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #31: March 01, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
"Franchise 2.0 adds several new features to its career mode including salary arbitration, waiver transactions, September call-ups, and the 40-man roster."

Now that's cool. I'm still gonna get 2K9 first, though. :lol:

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #32: March 01, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »
i'll be buying 2k9 on tuesday. i've been playing the demo, and i think it's surprisingly solid.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #33: March 01, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »
The graphics in that original video are amazing (aside from the silly shots of the fans - which are only like four characters duplicated over and over...). However, I'm not really as interested in playing games pitch-by-pitch as in GM'ing and finding a deep simulation of the entire experience of running a club. Any recommendations on that type of game?

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #34: March 01, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »
The graphics in that original video are amazing (aside from the silly shots of the fans - which are only like four characters duplicated over and over...). However, I'm not really as interested in playing games pitch-by-pitch as in GM'ing and finding a deep simulation of the entire experience of running a club. Any recommendations on that type of game?

http://www.amazon.com/MLB-Front-Office-Manager-Xbox-360/dp/B001M5RRO4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1235958599&sr=1-2

If you end up getting it let me know.  I would like to hear a user review

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #35: March 01, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »
First off, although both 2K9 and The Show probably are now much better than MVP, there's no doubt that MVP Baseball 09 would be the best game out there.  MVP 05 was a thousand times better than MLB 2K5.  I'm not sure about The Show in 2005, but yeah, no doubt that MVP 09 would kick some ass.

As for 2K8, the online play did suck, very laggy.  Hopefully this year, they've improved the online leagues feature (for one, included a draft, etc.)  I'm also kinda bummed that they eliminated the ability to play A and AA games.  I sometimes liked to play games as the top prospects in the organization, especially as my SP prospects.  I have no idea why they felt the need to eliminate said feature.  But hey, if they spent their time improving framerates, I'm all for it.

I wasn't blown away by The Show the one time I played it, but it was probably better than 2K8.  I never got the time to really educate myself about the game.  I'm definitely buying 2K9 (don't have a PS3, only a 360).  I'm optimistic: apparently, they've made franchise run much more smoothly, and improved the game a lot overall.  I'm not expecting a genre-defining game, and don't need 2K9 to be such, as I did enjoy 2K8.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #36: March 01, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »

oh baby. out of the park baseball is what you need. I'm currently in year 2012 of my nats franchise. i'm pissed cause i was ready for the playoffs in 2011 but elijah dukes and michael burgess got hurt for me to start the year and my pitching fell apart. chris marrero just broke out with .312/48 HR/111 RBI though to win rookie of the year.

its only for computer. its on my laptop. so many options and stuff so you can tune the game. its intimidating at first but so much fun.

just google out of the park baseball 9 and you'll find it. OOTP10 comes out soon (not sure how soon) so I think you should wait for that before purchasing

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #37: March 01, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »
Im definitely getting MLB 2K9, I don't have a ps3, but if I did, it would still be 2k9. This years game seems fantastic. People got the game early if they were either a MOD on the 2k forums or in NYC were the game broke release date...

Anyways, I hear the lag online has drastically decreased and you can actually see what your hitting.

MVP baseball 05 was better that 2k5, 2k6, and in some aspects 2k7 and 2k8. But this year 2k9 looks pretty damn good.

Ive been looking forward to play this game for the longest time haha, im eager to get it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #38: March 01, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »
2k9 looks ok but the animations are still really robotic and there are lots of reports of terrible, terrible AI in terms of hitting (won't take strikes, can't hit breaking balls), not to mention franchise crashing, teams having no money (players like pujols go unsigned), etc etc.

the show's animations are much more refined and the players look much more like real players. 2k9 is almost there. i like their controls a lot more.

im planning to get the show for psp until the summer when i trade in my 360 for a ps3.

plus the show has road to the show, which is a blast.

Offline fan

• If Yost becomes Manager, I am done w/ the Nats.
« Reply #39: March 01, 2009, 10:52:26 PM »
Show looks way better, but I'd have to get it on PS2.  Online for it sounds almost unplayable though.

I'm hoping they fix the lack of custom player batting stances.  I'd also like someone to adjust the sliders to the point where the computer takes a pitch or 2. 

(Thank you to the mods for moving my post.)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #40: March 01, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
Ugh, even games hate us. They didn't do research on our park, the left field wall is 2x the size it is :lol:

It was like this in last years game but i let it slide cause it just opened, but not changing it? that sucks. aw well.

ya, that's garbage. that really annoyed me last year, i can't believe they didn't fix it.

Here's an HD video of a The Show game (courtesy of pastapadre) with the Nats and Pads.  AZ might want to fast forward to about the 8:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIZkJXO3J4&eurl=http://www.pastapadre.com/6677/mlb-09-the-show-is-here

Dukes homer highlight gave me chills of excitement! first pitch bomb to straightaway center!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #41: March 03, 2009, 06:03:35 PM »
MLB 2k9 is rediculous!!

Played online and won 19-9 with the nats over the tigers.. we both couldnt get our pitches down but I hear the game is really realistic when you do.

Dukes hit a homer
Zimmerman hit a homer
Nick Johnson hit 2 homers

haha this game is awesome

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #42: March 03, 2009, 06:10:18 PM »
2k9 seems like its solid but I've been reading about fundamental problems with the game that would bother me. i just can't drop 60 bucks and get burned like i did with 2k8.

most likely scenario for me is to buy the psp version, take my bro's psp that he doesn't play, use that until may when I get rid of my 360 for a ps3. the more videos I watch of the show the more apparent that it's even better than I thought.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #43: March 03, 2009, 07:03:39 PM »
:rofl: My pitching is already solid from playing 2k8 so much, other peoples I can tell are having much trouble. Just made a yankees player quit

17-3

Dunn had 2 homers with 7 RBIs
Milledge hit a Grand Slam
Zimmerman had a 2 run homer

:lol: just thought Id share the nasty nationals

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #44: March 03, 2009, 08:42:05 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That looks like a freakin state penitentiary across the street!  :rofl: :hang:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #45: March 06, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »
I dig 2K9. All-Star level is almost perfect for me. I haven't had to adjust sliders yet. I just wish the computer would throw more balls. I've only walked once.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #46: March 06, 2009, 09:56:12 PM »
I really like NOT influencing my swings, unless its my cleanup hitter, it seems when i just swing regularly, real hits come out of it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #47: March 07, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
I just bought The Show '09 for PS2. can't wait to play it

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #48: March 07, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
I just bought The Show '09 for PS2. can't wait to play it

i am getting the psp version hopefully next saturday. its a really fun game.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #49: March 07, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »
I started out on 'All star' difficulty. I am pitching OK but I can't hit for crap. :?