Author Topic: MLB Videogames  (Read 28030 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: MLB Videogames
« Reply #50: March 15, 2009, 09:39:35 PM »
Even though I'm not a big fan of the Nats new stars and stripes uniforms, they do look really cool on 2K9.

Oh, and Zimmerman's home run swing is perfect and AWESOME.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #51: March 15, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »
I love The Show. Thanks for the recommendation, UMDNats.

I still can't hit worth a damn but I can pitch.

I just played a game yesterday that went 17 innings that I ended up losing 1-0. :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #52: March 15, 2009, 09:46:40 PM »
The Show is rated a 9.0 on Game Spot. MLB 2K9 is a 4.5. :?  I still haven't gotten The Show yet. I didn't like it that much last year.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #53: March 15, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
I love The Show. Thanks for the recommendation, UMDNats.

I still can't hit worth a damn but I can pitch.

I just played a game yesterday that went 17 innings that I ended up losing 1-0. :?

i just got it for psp for my ST trip. i love it. i cant wait to get a ps3 in may for the best baseball game ever made

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #54: March 28, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
I just bought The Show 09 last night, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'll post my thoughts when I do get some playing time in. I suspect that I'll like it, as I loved last years game. I can't wait to make up some custom chants.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #55: March 31, 2009, 09:52:15 PM »
They added Jordan Zimmermann to the nats roster in 2k9 with living rosters online, hes rated a 75 with a fastball, curve, change and slider.

His name is John Zinc or something like that and hes a black guy, just funny how its totally opposite like they didnt even care. Should be corrected once season starts and hes on the roster.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #56: March 31, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
They added Jordan Zimmermann to the nats roster in 2k9 with living rosters online, hes rated a 75 with a fastball, curve, change and slider.

His name is John Zinc or something like that and hes a black guy, just funny how its totally opposite like they didnt even care. Should be corrected once season starts and hes on the roster.

I just do all of the roster stuff myself. I learned to turn off that living roster auto update thing when I was playing NBA 2K9. It's terrible.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #57: March 31, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »
I just do all of the roster stuff myself. I learned to turn off that living roster auto update thing when I was playing NBA 2K9. It's terrible.

Yea it is pretty bad, I just keep it on though for when I play ranked games so might as well do the same for if i restart a franchise.

They did the same to Balester last year as they did JZ and named him, Craig Bufford or something

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #58: April 02, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
2k is god-awful with rosters

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #59: April 03, 2009, 08:39:49 PM »
Alright...I've had The Show '09 for a week now. I loved last year's game, but I have to admit that I'm not that crazy about this year's game. The main reason is that it's just too damned hard. I love a challenge, but they've just ramped up the difficulty too much for '09. I was reading the PS3 boards and found that I'm not the only one who is having a problem with this game. A lot of people are playing on rookie level and adjusting the sliders to offset the difficulty level. I haven't tried that as of yet, but I guess I'll have to because I'm tired of only getting one or two hits a game and losing by six or seven runs a game. The graphics are beautiful, but the difficulty keeps this game from being as good as last year's version. BTW, I was really good on '08, so it's not just me being bad at videogames or anything.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #60: April 03, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »
the hitting is so damn hard for me too. I can pitch decently but I usually lose 2-1 or 3-2. I play on veteran mode.

it's still a lot of fun though and slowly I am improving a little hitting-wise.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #61: April 03, 2009, 11:09:08 PM »
on the psp the hitting was tough. the best i could hit was like .260 and even that was at the peak.

i think ratings are really, really important. you really have to acquire good talent in franchise mode and in RTTS you have to work to improve it

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #62: April 04, 2009, 10:28:34 AM »
the hitting is so damn hard for me too. I can pitch decently but I usually lose 2-1 or 3-2. I play on veteran mode.

it's still a lot of fun though and slowly I am improving a little hitting-wise.

Yeah, Lannan, Olsen, and Pedro Martinez (i signed him as a free agent) usually do well, but Cabrera and Bally get knocked around after a few innings.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #63: April 04, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »
MLB 2K9 just had a patch that fixes alot of errors and gameplay issues. Homers aren't as frequent as they were, had a few games that were realistic scores: 6-1, 4-3, 7-2... This patch is what ive been waiting for.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #64: April 06, 2009, 10:42:50 AM »
The new 2K9 patch is AWESOME. They still have a few more things to fix, but it's officially a solid game now, IMO.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #65: April 06, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
General question:

Do they have the ability to customize the leagues and create new teams?

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #66: April 06, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
General question:

They have fantasy drafts on the Show. I'm pretty sure they have them on 2K9 as well.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #67: April 06, 2009, 11:13:06 AM »
General question:

You can't create new leagues, teams or ballparks. That would be cool, though. There was a game a few years back that let you do that.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #68: April 06, 2009, 11:13:14 AM »
They have fantasy drafts on the Show. I'm pretty sure they have them on 2K9 as well.

Not really what I meant...

On the Madden series, you can customize the league and create your own teams (i.e. remove the Cowboys and create a whole new team).  And I remember a while back the crappy "All-Star" baseball series had an "expansion" mode where you could create new teams to add to the league.  That's more what I was after.

I like playing two different seasons, one using the real major league teams and one comprised of an entirely made up league (if there is such a thing for baseball).

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #69: April 06, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »
Not really what I meant...

On the Madden series, you can customize the league and create your own teams (i.e. remove the Cowboys and create a whole new team).  And I remember a while back the crappy "All-Star" baseball series had an "expansion" mode where you could create new teams to add to the league.  That's more what I was after.

I like playing two different seasons, one using the real major league teams and one comprised of an entirely made up league (if there is such a thing for baseball).

I see what you're saying now. As far as I know, you can't do that on The Show. I don't know about 2K9. I remember being able to do that on Madden. They had the logos that you could choose from for your team. You would think they would have that stuff available for the online leagues at least.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #70: April 07, 2009, 11:49:10 AM »
What Minty Asked, cant do that in 2k9. Seems EA is the only thing that does it.

In the mvp series you could and you could even add create a new ballpark, that started off small and as you played and got fans and sold tickets, etc, you could add seats, and all this stuff.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #71: June 05, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »
I just picked up 2k9 last night for the 360.  I tried playing a demo of The Show in store, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to pitch.  Cole Hamels walked in like 4 runs still with no outs, I never even got a chance to try the hitting part.

I played a double header against the Mariners last night when I got it (since they were the crappiest rated team besides the Nats).  The first game I lost 4-2.  Second game is Lannan, ace, 15 k's!  Adam Dunn 4-4 with 3 HR and a single, RZ 2-5 with a double and a HR, Guz with 3 k's.  I had like 9 runs off of 21 hits with 2 errors.  Might have to adjust the difficulty a bit, playing on rookie to get the hang of the controls as this is my first baseball game.

The instruction manual on 2k9 is horrid, it tells you basically nothing.  The pitching controls are fairly intuitive, but still, the manual says nothing on how it works.  I don't get the base running aspect.  I had multiple singles that should have driven in runners from second, but everyone just moved up one base.

I have no idea how to aim the breaking balls.  I put the cursor over where Nieves has his mitt, but they always miss by a lot, do you have to compensate for the break or what?  My Fastball is going where I want it and the change-up is there.  Everything else seems like it is always in the dirt.

Player models are not that great, I don't know how much better they would be on the Show, but Lannan looked nothing like Lannan :)

So, any tips or pointers on how this game works and some of the controls?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #72: June 05, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »
you have to aim away from the glove... if you're throwing a slider with a righty, aim to the right of where you want it to go.

i love pitching in the game, but the pitchers throw way too many strikes...

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #73: June 05, 2009, 09:09:34 PM »
oh yeah, and for runners... you should be able to see which guy is the main runner... press LT to advance him, and LB to advance every runner.

adam dunn is TERRIBLE at fielding in the game btw.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #74: June 05, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »
you have to aim away from the glove... if you're throwing a slider with a righty, aim to the right of where you want it to go.

i love pitching in the game, but the pitchers throw way too many strikes...
So, do the little arrows at the bottom of the pitch diagram thingy telly you in which direction the ball moves and how much?  Like some have 2 arrows pointing down to the right, and some have 3 arrows down and to the right, so the one with 2 moves less than the one with 3?  The manual could have been much better, and if I better understood how each pitch moves IRL, I might know better.