Author Topic: #%&@^! Umps!!!!!  (Read 2177 times)

gosensgo05

#%&@^! Umps!!!!!
« Topic Start: July 16, 2005, 02:09:50 AM »
That was not a balk against Stanton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have seen the replay several times and I didn't see Stanton make any illegal moves towards the plate.  

Second, I hope this fires up the Nats.  I think the Nats will come out very angry tomorrow night  :evil:  There will be 25 Jose Guillens in the dugout plus a super pissed manager.  Even the normally sedated Brad Wilkerson was throwing a massive fit at the end of the game on Friday

Too bad pitchers can't retaliate by plunking umpires  :twisted:

Maybe Schneider can move aside as Loiaza throws a fast ball down the middle.

Montcobaseball

#%&@^! Umps!!!!!
« Reply #1: July 16, 2005, 08:54:55 AM »
Sorry to burst your bubble but I want the Nats to win as much as you do but that was a balk.  Now whether I would have called it is a different matter.  Its actually very simple.  A lefthanded pitcher cannot make a movement towards home and his right leg cannot break the plane between first base and home plate and thats what Stanton did.   Basically his body was moving towards home while his arm was going to first and you can't do that.  The umpire would not have called the balk if it had not given Stanton a distinct advantage (picked off runner).  Maybe this is what this sleepwalking team needs to ignite it.  Think back to the incident in Anaheim.

luckyexposfan

#%&@^! Umps!!!!!
« Reply #2: July 16, 2005, 09:31:19 AM »
Montco, you're the only one so far who thinks it was a correct call.  No one else on this board, and more importantly, seemingly no one else in the MLB agrees with you.

I agree that it's ridiculous to call this when it could decide the game, though.

Offline rileyn

#%&@^! Umps!!!!!
« Reply #3: July 16, 2005, 09:39:43 AM »
I am really not hung up on the balk call because I really didn't see the Nats winning this game.  Did you see the bench after Lee's homer tied it in the 10th?  They were a beaten bunch and our offense just is not producing.  In a twisted way this could have been the best thing that could have happened.  We lost sooner rather than later, we didn't burn out the bullpen, and possibly it will motivate the team.  They need a cold splash of water in the face and hopefully this was it.

luckyexposfan

#%&@^! Umps!!!!!
« Reply #4: July 16, 2005, 09:58:04 AM »
Yes, that's true.  But will it really rile them up?  Maybe.  I hope so, we need it.  Regardless, most people agree that the call was bunk.  You're right though, I didn't see us winning that once Lee tied it.

Montcobaseball

#%&@^! Umps!!!!!
« Reply #5: July 16, 2005, 10:48:31 AM »
Quote from: "luckyexposfan"
Montco, you're the only one so far who thinks it was a correct call.  No one else on this board, and more importantly, seemingly no one else in the MLB agrees with you.

So be it.  But I will tell you that as soon as Stanton began his motion I said "oh crap he balked".

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
#%&@^! Umps!!!!!
« Reply #6: July 16, 2005, 11:03:43 AM »
I didn't actually see the play, I just heard it on the radio, but I think it was pretty lousy of them to call him on it when they knew it would mean the game.

Offline UMDNats

#%&@^! Umps!!!!!
« Reply #7: July 16, 2005, 04:38:55 PM »
i really hope that Guillen and the rest of the team is pissed off beyond belief and comes out fired up to win. i can tell Jose is mad and wants to win.