Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 160994 times)

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #500: August 28, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »
Going to have a steak and a bottle of Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest tonight.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #501: August 29, 2009, 05:10:54 PM »
We went there last night.  The manager's name is Gordon - he was a manager in Falls Church.  The bar is a little smaller, but it's a nice place.

The new Dogfish Head brewpub in Greenbriar shopping center is open now.    :worship:   :woop:  :clap:  :glug:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #502: August 29, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
We went there last night.  The manager's name is Gordon - he was a manager in Falls Church.  The bar is a little smaller, but it's a nice place.

I read that as "smellier" at first :lmao:

I'm in the mood for some He-Brew, think I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #503: August 29, 2009, 08:29:25 PM »
just finished a tequila tasting in tucson. private actually. apparently nobody else wanted to spend 25$.  it probably applies to other liquors as well, but if you dont just shoot the high end stuff it actually tastes much different and better. then you get the heat when you actually swallow

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #504: August 29, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
tequila makes me want to copy your avatar unless it's in a mixed drink.

« Reply #505: August 29, 2009, 08:41:30 PM »
just finished a tequila tasting in tucson. private actually. apparently nobody else wanted to spend 25$.  it probably applies to other liquors as well, but if you dont just shoot the high end stuff it actually tastes much different and better. then you get the heat when you actually swallow

Glorious. Sounds like it was a good time. Nothing goes better with tequila than a nearby strip joint.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #506: August 29, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
tequila makes me want to copy your avatar unless it's in a mixed drink. (Image removed from quote.)

no man. there is some good stuff out there. stop with the montezuma, mccormick, and cuervo

Offline Nathan

« Reply #507: August 29, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »
no man. there is some good stuff out there. stop with the montezuma, mccormick, and cuervo
I've only had Jose Cuervo and all I know is I hate everything about the flavor.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #508: August 29, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
I've only had Jose Cuervo and all I know is I hate everything about the flavor.

even the good stuff has two differnt flavors. if you hold it in you mouth, it tastes sweet. but when you swallow you get that turpentine taste a bit, to a lesser extent with the good stuff

the stuff i was drinking was expensive though, Corzo ($80 a bottle). but there was one that was pretty good and cheaper like 45$ a bottle (calvadores or something).  the taste was good but it was a little more harsh after you swallow it

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #509: August 30, 2009, 12:30:18 AM »
I like Patron...it's sweet, then sour.  Some of those Sauza tequilas are pretty tasty too. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #510: August 31, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »

I never would have picked Dave B out of a WNFF lineup to be the tequila snob in the group.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #511: August 31, 2009, 08:51:09 AM »
Just got back from a week in Vermont and I think I've found my new favorite beer, Trout River. Don't suppose anyone has seen it for sale around here? I didn't even see it in sounthern vermont, so I'm guessing the chances are slim.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #512: August 31, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »
Just got back from a week in Vermont and I think I've found my new favorite beer, Trout River. Don't suppose anyone has seen it for sale around here? I didn't even see it in sounthern vermont, so I'm guessing the chances are slim.

Try Total Wine, they have a vast microbrew selection.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #513: August 31, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »
Try Total Wine, they have a vast microbrew selection.

I've been looking for Goldstar (dark Israeli beer) for years with no luck. A six pack to the first person (over 21 of course) who locates it.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #514: August 31, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
Is Trout River a brand or a flavor ?  If it is a brand, what flavor do you like ?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #515: August 31, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
Definately an incentive and a mission.

I've been looking for Goldstar (dark Israeli beer) for years with no luck. A six pack to the first person (over 21 of course) who locates it.

Offline blue911

« Reply #516: August 31, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »

I sent Tempo an email. Lets see what they say.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #517: August 31, 2009, 01:21:58 PM »
Is Trout River a brand or a flavor ?  If it is a brand, what flavor do you like ?

Brand. Its all good. I like the Red the best, but that may be because its the only one I got on tap as opposed to bottle. Hoppin Mad Trout was really good too.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #518: August 31, 2009, 09:21:45 PM »
I never would have picked Dave B out of a WNFF lineup to be the tequila snob in the group.

tequila was the quickest route to snobbery. all it took was an hour and 4 or 5 tastings of good stuff (just happened to be Corzo this week) at a private tasting (because nobody else signed up, paid $25, and wasnt killing time in tucson by themselves over the weekend). the guy was apparently one of two "tequiliers" in the US. you can become a tequilier through a year of coursework in mexico at the AMT (Academy de Mexico de Tequila?).

i really am eager to try other liquors without swallowing them right away to see if there are any good tastes in there. maybe that is why people like scotch.

unlike scotch, an hour of tasting tequila could make me a relative expert

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #519: August 31, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »
tequila was the quickest route to snobbery. all it took was an hour and 4 or 5 tastings of good stuff (just happened to be Corzo this week) at a private tasting (because nobody else signed up, paid $25, and wasnt killing time in tucson by themselves over the weekend). the guy was apparently one of two "tequiliers" in the US. you can become a tequilier through a year of coursework in mexico at the AMT (Academy de Mexico de Tequila?).

i really am eager to try other liquors without swallowing them right away to see if there are any good tastes in there. maybe that is why people like scotch.

That's cool.   My only tequila experiences, well, let's say a thorough tasting wasn't part of the scene.    :-[ :-[

Scotch is a big snob appeal drink, but I just flat out don't like the taste.  I don't care how many  years it's been aged or how much anyone raves about it.  I've had some very expensive scotches, and they are better than the cheap ones to be sure, but I'd rather drink a shot of Wild Turkey or Woodford Reserve or Crown Royal or any of a dozen relatively mainstream bourbon/whiskeys than a very expensive scotch any day.  Personal taste.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #520: September 01, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
I'm shocked with all this tequila talk no one has mentioned Agavero Tequila Liqueur from Los Camachines Distillery. It is made with 100% blue agave añejo and reposado tequilas that have been separately aged in oak barrels. "The añejo tequila is aged up to eighteen months and the reposado tequila is rested for nearly a year. The tequilas are combined and then hand blended with the essence of Damiana, a flower indigenous to the hot mountains of Jalisco that has been rumored for centuries to stir up the emotions among individuals".

Now that is dessert tequila snobbery. Even if you don't like most tequilas, you'll probably like Agavero.

Also, fill a shot glass to the top. Gently place the shot of Agavero in a pint glass. Quickly flip it over without spilling. Fill with a light mexican beer. You now have a submarine. Enjoy your sweet tasting beer.

« Reply #521: September 01, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
I'm shocked with all this tequila talk no one has mentioned Agavero Tequila Liqueur from Los Camachines Distillery. It is made with 100% blue agave añejo and reposado tequilas that have been separately aged in oak barrels. "The añejo tequila is aged up to eighteen months and the reposado tequila is rested for nearly a year. The tequilas are combined and then hand blended with the essence of Damiana, a flower indigenous to the hot mountains of Jalisco that has been rumored for centuries to stir up the emotions among individuals".

Now that is dessert tequila snobbery. Even if you don't like most tequilas, you'll probably like Agavero.

Also, fill a shot glass to the top. Gently place the shot of Agavero in a pint glass. Quickly flip it over without spilling. Fill with a light mexican beer. You now have a submarine. Enjoy your sweet tasting beer.

(Image removed from quote.)

That looks wicked, sounds delicious, and I'd probably have all my clothes off even before opening the bottle. :shock:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #522: September 01, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »

I have no idea whether they carry it, but for any beer you're having trouble finding you might want to call Norm's in Vienna. They have a pretty good selection of off-beat stuff. My brother used to work there, which is how I found out about the place.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #523: September 01, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »

An hour of tequila tasting would make me look like your smiley.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #524: September 01, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »

http://www.israelikosher.com/Product.asp?intProdID=790

expensive at $19.99 per 6 pack!  It's not legal to ship beer to PA or MD, but you can ship to DC.