Author Topic: "Runners left on base" (player)  (Read 671 times)

Offline Ray D

"Runners left on base" (player)
« Topic Start: July 25, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
Can someone point to a REAL definition of "runners left on base" by a player (not team "left on base").

All I can find is:

LOB - "Runners Left on Base" - When a player bats with at least one runner on base, he is charged with one (or more) runners left on base when his plate appearance is over, unless one of the following events occurs: he reaches base safely without another runner being put out as the direct result of his plate appearance; his batted ball results in a runner's scoring.

That can't be the definition, can it?  That would mean when a batter sacrifices a runner from first to second he is charged with a runner left on base.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: "Runners left on base" (player)
« Reply #1: July 25, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »
Can someone point to a REAL definition of "runners left on base" by a player (not team "left on base").

All I can find is:

LOB - "Runners Left on Base" - When a player bats with at least one runner on base, he is charged with one (or more) runners left on base when his plate appearance is over, unless one of the following events occurs: he reaches base safely without another runner being put out as the direct result of his plate appearance; his batted ball results in a runner's scoring.

That can't be the definition, can it?  That would mean when a batter sacrifices a runner from first to second he is charged with a runner left on base.

Works for me. He didn't drive the runner in, therefore, he left the runner on base.

If it's that troublesome, subtract sac bunts from the player's LOB....

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: July 25, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
Sounds right. How else are you going to discourage the next peckerwood that decides to sacrifice e bunt?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: July 25, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »

All I can find is:

Sounds accurate to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe Team LOB only counts runners left on base when the third out occurs.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #4: July 25, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
Sounds accurate to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe Team LOB only counts runners left on base when the third out occurs.

Right, team LOB counts the guys stranded at the end of the inning. The difference is that in team LOB, it doesn't matter who drives the run in, as long as someone does.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #5: July 25, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »
Works for me. He didn't drive the runner in, therefore, he left the runner on base.

Well that's not  very comforting.  Suppose there's a runner on base and he gets on on an error.  He didn't drive the runner in so he left the runner on base. But he doesn't get charged in that case.  Or more to the point, if there's a runner on first and he gets a single, moving the runner to third, he didn't drive him in in that case either but doesn't get charged.

So let's say the first batter in the inning doubles. Second batter sacrifices him to third.  Third batter hits a sacrifice fly and first batter scores.  Second batter gets charged with leaving a runner on base.  That's fair?