Author Topic: "That's a clown question, bro" - Bryce  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Tim Cullen

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: "That's a clown question, bro" - Bryce
« Reply #1: June 13, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
I have a similar response when people tell me to have a Merry CHRISTmas. :stir:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2: June 13, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
But did anyone on WNFF know Bryce Harper was a Mormon ?

I have a similar response when people tell me to have a Merry CHRISTmas. :stir:

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #3: June 13, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »
Good for him. It's an insulting question. I have little doubt that the question was asked for any other reason than to make him feel uncomfortable. If some reporter went up to a Jewish ballplayer on a trip to place like KC, NC, or Memphis and asked him if he was excited to try the pork BBQ, people would likely find the question more innappropriate than they would find the response interesting.

It's actually rude to many people involved. People pay reporters and get them access to events so that they can ask questions and get legitimate information. Unless you are working for the Howard Stern show, asking a question like this is really a waste of other people's time and money.

In the greater scheme of thing, it is not a big deal. But it is clear that this "reporter" is a clown.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: June 13, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »
Excellent point SSB. It sounded like there was someone there from the team making sure someone didn't pull some bullcrap like this on him. If so, it's nice to see they're looking out for him.  :clap:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #5: June 13, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »

It's on his wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Harper) but I had heard he was Mormon before this interview. It obviously wasn't a secret or anything, and I wonder what sports reporter wouldn't have known about it.

Though I just learned that his brother was drafted by the Nats in 2011, I did not know that.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #6: June 13, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
there is no way ankiel should ever get the green light 3-0.  never.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #7: June 13, 2012, 01:09:21 PM »

Yes I think a lot did.  The difference between him and someone like Tebow is he doesn't flaunt it.  Hence why it's possible this reporter had no clue he was one.  Also although he doesn't drink he might not be very religious himself but still considers himself Mormon.  Hence playing games on Sunday.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #8: June 13, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »

Though I just learned that his brother was drafted by the Nats in 2011, I did not know that.

yup.  brian harper.  lefty reliever in the GCL

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #9: June 13, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »

I did.  It was mentioned in a few articles.  Didnt see it as a big deal!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: June 13, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
...asking a question like this is really a waste of other people's time and money.

For a kid that's 19, he's really got it together when it comes to dealing with these baboons.  I mean, do your research assclown and know that it's a bad question to ask.  I mean, you don't have to ask him "so, are you bummed you can't get wasted tonight, being a Mormon and all" but be a little bit more aware.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #11: June 13, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »
Once they had signed baseballs at the foundation booth.  They had a few signed by Bryce with a biblical reference under his name.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #12: June 13, 2012, 01:24:49 PM »
I thought it was just a toss off question to a young kid that is of age in Canada. Take away that the Nats flak got ruffled and I'm thinking Bryce would have had a much gentler answer for the guy.

Not all Mormons abstain, and I'm betting that of those that do, an occasional beer is not considered grounds for excommunication.

I think the guy was just kissing up to the teenage phenom with a soft-toss of a question.

:shrug:

Good for him. It's an insulting question. I have little doubt that the question was asked for any other reason than to make him feel uncomfortable. If some reporter went up to a Jewish ballplayer on a trip to place like KC, NC, or Memphis and asked him if he was excited to try the pork BBQ, people would likely find the question more innappropriate than they would find the response interesting.

It's actually rude to many people involved. People pay reporters and get them access to events so that they can ask questions and get legitimate information. Unless you are working for the Howard Stern show, asking a question like this is really a waste of other people's time and money.

In the greater scheme of thing, it is not a big deal. But it is clear that this "reporter" is a clown.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #13: June 13, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »
It's on his wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Harper) but I had heard he was Mormon before this interview. It obviously wasn't a secret or anything, and I wonder what sports reporter wouldn't have known about it.

Even if a reporter wasn't aware of Harper's religion, the question purely from an age perspective is pretty stupid.

Offline PC

« Reply #14: June 13, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »

Most posters here know it. It's been discussed a number of times in this forum.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #15: June 13, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
Even if a reporter wasn't aware of Harper's religion, the question purely from an age perspective is pretty stupid.

It would seem it was meant as a jab on both fronts -- his faith AND his age.  And this was obviously meant to embarrass him on both fronts.  Its not stupid, its reprehensible. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #16: June 13, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »
lol what a dumb question

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #17: June 13, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »

That's a clown question, bro

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #18: June 13, 2012, 02:59:38 PM »
I'm definitely incorporating this into my everyday speech now. Can't wait until the boss asks me when I plan to send him the spreadsheet I'm working on.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: June 13, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »
I thought it was just a toss off question to a young kid that is of age in Canada. Take away that the Nats flak got ruffled and I'm thinking Bryce would have had a much gentler answer for the guy.

Not all Mormons abstain, and I'm betting that of those that do, an occasional beer is not considered grounds for excommunication.

I think the guy was just kissing up to the teenage phenom with a soft-toss of a question.

:shrug:

maybe he was looking for a plug for Molson export

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #20: June 13, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »

Agreed. Ignoring the Mormon aspect of it, a player who is under the drinking age in the US would be asking for a little extra.... scrutiny if he went out drinking in Canada. Even if it legal north of the border.

And, I did know that Bryce was Mormon. It's been in a bunch of articles.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #21: June 13, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
Agreed. Ignoring the Mormon aspect of it, a player who is under the drinking age in the US would be asking for a little extra.... scrutiny if he went out drinking in Canada. Even if it legal north of the border.

And, I did know that Bryce was Mormon. It's been in a bunch of articles.

My thoughts exactly

Offline Bloo

« Reply #22: June 13, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
I think the reporter was just trying to make a tongue and cheek joke with that question. Fairly harmless but he should have made it more clear that he was making a joke.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #23: June 13, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »
I think the reporter was just trying to make a tongue and cheek joke with that question. Fairly harmless but he should have made it more clear that he was making a joke.

The fact that Bryce referred to his age and it being "illegal in the States" made me feel that he ignored any religious implications.  He knew that a reporter couldn't be expected to know his religion.  Bryce thought it was a "clown question" because the reporter asked him what brand was his favorite beer.  The question inferred that Bryce had been drinking alcohol illegally in the USA. 
 :glug:
It's like asking a married man "How often do you beat your wife?"

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: June 13, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
The fact that Bryce referred to his age and it being "illegal in the States" made me feel that he ignored any religious implications.  He knew that a reporter couldn't be expected to know his religion.  Bryce thought it was a "clown question" because the reporter asked him what brand was his favorite beer.  The question inferred that Bryce had been drinking alcohol illegally in the USA. 
 :glug:
It's like asking a married man "How often do you beat your wife?"

I wasn't aware David Stern posted here! ;)