Author Topic: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)  (Read 96721 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)
« Reply #900: September 25, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »
Jr fined 25K.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #901: September 26, 2012, 08:23:55 AM »
Skins sign Ryan Grant.  Good luck fantasy players.

Makes it pretty easy. If they're signing Grant then Helu and Royster are probably too banged up.

Watch Shanny put Morris on the injured list

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #902: September 26, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
Makes it pretty easy. If they're signing Grant then Helu and Royster are probably too banged up.

Watch Shanny put Morris on the injured list

Royster is banged up and I think Helu is too. Just being careful I reckon.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #903: September 26, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't just bring back Hightower. He said he would be back at some point this season.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #904: September 27, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »
Helu was placed on IR... Didn't know that. Achilles and turf toe. I like the guy, but he's not most healthy guy going.

Offline Clever

« Reply #905: September 28, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »
Oh...Goodbye!  :(

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #906: September 28, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »
Just listened to the Bill Simmons Mike Lombardi podcast- they were arguing whether the skins were the worst team in the NFL

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #907: September 28, 2012, 12:53:32 PM »
Just listened to the Bill Simmons Mike Lombardi podcast- they were arguing whether the skins were the worst team in the NFL

I don't see it. They aren't good or anything, but the worst? I guess losing a top OLB and DE not to mention having a wussy at safety (I'm looking at you Meriweather) doesn't help any. I don't think anyone saw the defense being this bad nor the offense this good. A complete reversal of fortune... Hopefully we can get something figured out on defense so we don't have to keep throwing the ball so damn much. Griffin is taking way too many hits.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #908: September 28, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
Oh come on Simmons...Jags/Browns are definitely worse from the AFC, but its closer in the NFC. Think the Skins are better than the Bucs/Panthers/Vikings too.

And considering the strength/weakness matchups, I think the Skins would beat my Dolphins and the Jets/Bills too. Three teams that can't pass and can't stop dynamic QBs.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #909: September 28, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
I'd take the Vikings over the skins, Bucs and Panthers should be close. If we're having this discussion at the end of the year, I'm hoping that they clean house (maybe give allen a shot at being a real gm?), I just want to know how the defense is this god awful?

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #910: September 28, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »
Losing their best defender is part of it.

I mean really, what did people expect when they trot out no real third CB and the absolutelte worst safety duo in the past ten years when this league has become so incredibly pass happy? And of course its compunded by putting no pressure on the QB.

Everyone got excited after the first game, but the product is not complete...yet.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #911: September 28, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »

I mean really, what did people expect when they trot out no real third CB and the absolutelte worst safety duo in the past ten years when this league has become so incredibly pass happy? And of course its compunded by putting no pressure on the QB.

Everyone got excited after the first game, but the product is not complete...yet.

the defense looked awful with Orakpo too, I don't know how they fill all these holes (the really need an elite CB, safety, and possibly tackle if Williams can't stay healthy) since college players who can step in and play at a high level at those position usually go in the first few rounds.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #912: September 28, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »
Not having the 1st round pick sucks, but as a Dolphins fan, I'm totally jealous because the Skins have the most important part locked up with a 22 year old budding superstar. Everything else will fall into place eventually. That roster is young; the picks and cap space will return before the guys 25th birthday.

I mean, how many NFL players would you trade RG3 for? Maybe a handful of guys. I don't think they'll need worldbeaters everywhere just because this dude is going to be so good, he'll score enough points to hide issues elsewhere.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #913: September 28, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
I'd take the Vikings over the skins, Bucs and Panthers should be close. If we're having this discussion at the end of the year, I'm hoping that they clean house (maybe give allen a shot at being a real gm?), I just want to know how the defense is this god awful?

I don't hope that at all. Our secondary situation is the biggest issue, Orakpo and Carriker aside, but more importantly, the safeties. They suck. Meriweather, is he gonna play this year? If he does, will it be the Pro-Bowler or the the dud?

I'm tired of knee jerk regime changes. Shanny and Allen made their biggest move by trading 2 firsts and swapping another first to get RGIII. So far, it looks like a good move as he's played damn good all things considered. But making a bunch of changes like you're suggesting will set us back how many more years? Come on man.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #914: September 28, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »

Who might that be?

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #915: September 28, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »
Orakpo.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #916: September 28, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »
Isn't he like 3rd in sacks in the NFL the past few seasons? Could've sworn I read that. Curious now to see who Pro Football Focus has rated as the Redskins best defensive player.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #917: September 28, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
:lmao:  Orakpo is mostly a media hype. He had a few sacks in his first two seasons and was selected to the "pro bowl" but aside from geico commercials Orakpo is slight above an average player. He gets handled one on one all the time and has not been anything to write home about in space. Kerrigan and Fletcher are by far the Redskins best defensive players. And I don't know that I wouldn't say Bowen and Cofield are right behind those two before I would name Orakpo.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #918: September 28, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
Isn't he like 3rd in sacks in the NFL the past few seasons? Could've sworn I read that. Curious now to see who Pro Football Focus has rated as the Redskins best defensive player.

That explains it.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #919: September 28, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
I like PPF metrics myself, obviously they're not the end all be all. I think in today's pass happy NFL, I'd take a pass rusher over almost anything outside a ball hawking CB.

For what it's worth, they have Orakpo as the highest rated, with a +29 value. I don't watch every snap of every game so I'll take your word for it.  8)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #920: September 28, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
I doubt some of those guys watch every snap of every game but it doesn't stop them from printing bullcrap about teams. Fans that pay close attention to their teams can find laughable things they write about their respective teams all the time. One poster came here saying Chris Chester was the Redskins worst OL last season because he read it in one of those publications.  :lmao:

I agree with you about the pass rushers. Next to QB, someone who can pressure the QB is the most important part of a team (in my estimation). But Brian Orakpo is not an elite pass rusher. I'm sure you know there is a lot more than sacks (as important as they are) to being considered an elite pass rusher. DeMarcus Ware is an elite pass rusher. Clay Matthews is an elite pass rusher. Jared Allen is an elite pass rusher. Dwight Freeney was once an elite pass rusher. And even Freeney has more sacks than Orakpo over the last 3 years and he has been oft injured and on the downside of this career. Trent Cole is an elite pass rusher. Elvis Dumervil missed an entire season and he trails Orakpo in that 3 year span by only 1 or 2 sacks. There's even another tier below the above mentioned that belong ranked ahead of Orakpo. Guys like Abraham, Harrison and Peppers. And let's not forget to mention all those freakers from the NY Giants. Even the worst ones of that DL are better than Orakpo. JPP is just starting but I consider him elite already and certainly a better player than Orakpo.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #921: September 28, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
I don't hope that at all. Our secondary situation is the biggest issue, Orakpo and Carriker aside, but more importantly, the safeties. They suck. Meriweather, is he gonna play this year? If he does, will it be the Pro-Bowler or the the dud?

I'm tired of knee jerk regime changes. Shanny and Allen made their biggest move by trading 2 firsts and swapping another first to get RGIII. So far, it looks like a good move as he's played damn good all things considered. But making a bunch of changes like you're suggesting will set us back how many more years? Come on man.

A constant criticism for years has been that this team pisses away draft picks and ends up with no depth- this year, our back up LT was out of the league and our safeties should be. Griffen looks damn good, but does he look better than Dalton and a shut down CB or a legitimate FS (plus two more first rounders)?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #922: September 28, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »
A constant criticism for years has been that this team pisses away draft picks and ends up with no depth- this year, our back up LT was out of the league and our safeties should be. Griffen looks damn good, but does he look better than Dalton and a shut down CB or a legitimate FS (plus two more first rounders)?

Does Griffin have AJ Green? No. Do I think Griffin is better than Dalton, absofreakinlutely. The difference is, we pissed away draft picks on passed their prime players and name players. This time it was done to draft a franchise qb. Was it risky, hell yeah it was, but so far, it looks like a smart move. While the process may appear the same, the thought and mindset behind it are totally different. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Really, how many shut down corners are there in the NFL. Legit ones, Revis, Champ (not so much now, but at one time), Namdi... How many more are there? Yes, we need those things. Keep in mind, some of these decisions were made w/o knowledge that the NFL was gonna put the screws to the team over a bullcrap non-capped season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #923: September 28, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »
You see a franchise qb,  I see a team with no depth that chose to stay that way- we don't have a green,  and we can't get one in the next two years (or a top corner or LT)- the question isn't Griffin v  Dalton   it's Griffin v. Dalton + the picks

Offline spidernat

« Reply #924: September 28, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
Terpfan76 is a company guy.  :lol:

Terpfan, if you think Nnamdi Asomugha is a legit cover corner then you must be related to Dan Snyder. Also, any perceptive Redskin fan who watched every snap of Champ Bailey's time here and even beyond can tell that Champ Bailey also was a hype created "cover corner". The funny thing is that the idiot that was doing MNF in 2000 (that clown Dennis Miller character) was the one who started the myth of Champ Bailey being the heir apparent to Darrell Green and Deion Sanders and people bought into that crap for the rest of Bailey's career.  :lmao:  Bailey has capitalized on it though. Champ Bailey was constantly getting owned for first down after first down. But in this media hype era all you need to do is make a play here and there to show up on ESPN highlights shows to build a reputation. Revis is the cream of the crop for sure. There are a few others though that merit mention. Brandon Flowers (Chiefs), Antonio Cromartie (Jets), Tramon Williams (Packers, when healthy) and I'd keep a close eye on the Seahawks' Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner. Charles Woodson was another beast at the CB position but he's way past his prime and is now playing safety.