Author Topic: Android Thread  (Read 43712 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Android Thread
« Reply #75: March 04, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
I'm guilty of #s 4 and 5 and #1 is just a matter of time.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #76: March 04, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
"Google 'Assistant' will reportedly surpass Siri"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251217/google_assistant_reportedly_will_surpass_siri.html

Google is said to be working on artificial intelligence technology that could surpass the capabilities of Apple's Siri voice assistant, a development that comes as Apple prepares for a media event at which it could launch the next iteration of its popular iPad tablet.

Google, the Internet search leader, plans to reveal a new "Assistant" product by the fourth quarter of this year, according to a report by TechCrunch's Alexia Tsotsis, who cited an unnamed source at the company.

The feature will be personalized and make use of Google's data collection regarding how people behave online and will be "less about returning search results and more about accomplishing real-life goals," the report says.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #77: March 04, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251217/google_assistant_reportedly_will_surpass_siri.html

Not to be an Apple fanboy, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Offline Coladar

« Reply #78: March 04, 2012, 06:03:17 PM »

Google's current voice recognition technology is damn good, so not a surprise. I use it frequently with limited stuff, like web searches... takes the audio wave and sends it out across the Internet, decodes it, and usually is dead right despite zero calibration on my end for my voice/accent. And despite being purely born and raised in Falls Church , I have a slight southern drawl, so the fact it decodes with no personalized calibration... Like I said earlier, so far Google has bested everything in the iPad and iOS. No shock they'll eventually kick Siri's ass too.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #79: March 04, 2012, 06:05:08 PM »
Like I said earlier, so far Google has bested everything in the iPad and iOS.

Except public perception and sales

Offline The Chief

« Reply #80: March 04, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »
sales

Might want to double-check your figures, I'm pretty sure Android phones are far outselling iPhones these days.  iPad is still the king of tablets though.

public perception

I never knew you were Professor X :poke:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #81: March 04, 2012, 06:09:54 PM »
I have preferred Android has there has been some hardware competition, but knowing just how much of the infosphere Google controls makes me nervous anymore.
Might want to double-check your figures, I'm pretty sure Android phones are far outselling iPhones these days.  iPad is still the king of tablets though.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #82: March 04, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »
I have preferred Android has there has been some hardware competition, but knowing just how much of the infosphere Google controls makes me nervous anymore.

It's a circle jerk argument anyway, all those reports are done by one company or another.  For every report you can find saying one thing, I'm sure there's another concluding the opposite.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #83: March 04, 2012, 06:12:24 PM »

I have an android tablet (sort of), but I can easily see 5 iPads to every android tablet (and that's usually a fire which is barely android), as far as perception goes, be sure to tell me when HTC gets as much press as apple will on Wendsday for a marginal product upgrade.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #84: March 04, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
Shrug. Just saying, if you are using Android, you are "logged in" to Google and they can collect every single thing you do. Maybe Apple does the same thing, I don't know.

It's a circle jerk argument anyway, all those reports are done by one company or another.  For every report you can find saying one thing, I'm sure there's another concluding the opposite.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #85: March 04, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
I have an android tablet (sort of), but I can easily see 5 iPads to every android tablet (and that's usually a fire which is barely android), as far as perception goes, be sure to tell me when HTC gets as much press as apple will on Wendsday for a marginal product upgrade.

Did you even read my post? :lol:

Also, be sure and let me know when press pays the bills.  Android is the cheaper more ubiquitous option.  In the American market, that = winning.  I offer no opinion on the relative quality of said products, but you're deluded if you really believe that Apple's rep is going to hold off the Android onslaught forever.  Android phones have already tipped the scales, tablets are only a matter of time.

Apple devices are very polished luxury products.  Nothing wrong with that.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #86: March 04, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
Did you even read my post? :lol:

Also, be sure and let me know when press pays the bills.  Android is the cheaper more ubiquitous option.  In the American market, that = winning.  I offer no opinion on the relative quality of said products, but you're deluded if you really believe that Apple's rep is going to hold off the Android onslaught.

:shrug: cheaper?  For tablets I suppose, if you get crappy ones.  But aren't the good hardware ones the same price range as an iPad?

FU and your ninja edits :razz:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #87: March 04, 2012, 06:16:17 PM »
If ubiquitous = winning, why is apple's market cap multiples of google's?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #88: March 04, 2012, 06:17:06 PM »
:shrug: cheaper?  For tablets I suppose, if you get crappy ones.  But aren't the good hardware ones the same price range as an iPad?

Same range, and they destroy the iPad on specs, and noone buys them

Offline The Chief

« Reply #89: March 04, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »

Because market cap doesn't freaking mean anything.  Please tell me you aren't really that blind.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #90: March 04, 2012, 06:19:52 PM »

Link to some specs?  Genuinely curious on that, not trying to be a dick.

And anyway, specs don't make the product.  Apple has thrived with hardware that wasn't top of the line specs wise forever due to the fact that they control everything and can make sure all the components and OS work together just right.  Kind of like how a $200 console can play games with graphics that can rival $500 PCs.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #91: March 04, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »

As an Apple user, I would expect you of all people to know that hardware specs on paper don't always translate into real-world performance.  The vast majority of Android devices aren't as smooth or optimized in everyday operation as your typical Apple device, for generally obvious reasons.  Extra GHz and cores in Androids generally just cover up for the relatively poor codebase.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #92: March 04, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
Because Apple gets all the money? Google makes a free operating system and gets to collect data.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #93: March 04, 2012, 06:23:14 PM »
Because market cap doesn't freaking mean anything.  Please tell me you aren't really that blind.

No, I actually like amazon's os for tablets :couch: and I like my iPhone, but will look around when it's time to upgrade since I only have around $15 in paid apps.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #94: March 04, 2012, 06:23:40 PM »
Link to some specs?  Genuinely curious on that, not trying to be a dick.

For the record, I'm not trying to be a dick either, I just find it difficult to remain calm when attempting to have a rational conversation with anyone who blurts out the usual Apple zealot talking points :stir:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #95: March 04, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »
Android tabs generally aren't that much cheaper, at least not the ones that are worth anything.  typically 350-400 for the base models, I believe (Asus Transformer sans dock, Galaxy II Tab, etc.), but IMO the iPad is still much nicer to use, so saving a hundred bucks isn't that compelling (to me, anyway, can't speak for everyone)

No, I actually like amazon's os for tablets :couch: and I like my iPhone, but will look around when it's time to upgrade since I only have around $15 in paid apps.

I haven't really given them a shake yet, but I do notice every.time.you.post.from.one :lol:

All I really care about for a tablet is does it browse the web smoothly.  Most Android tablets I've tried out can't even switch home screens smoothly :smh:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #96: March 04, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
Android tabs generally aren't that much cheaper, at least not the ones that are worth anything.  typically 350-400 for the base models, I believe (Asus Transformer sans dock, Galaxy II Tab, etc.), but IMO the iPad is still much nicer to use, so saving a hundred bucks isn't that compelling (to me, anyway, can't speak for everyone)

I haven't really given them a shake yet, but I do notice every.time.you.post.from.one :lol:

All I really care about for a tablet is does it browse the web smoothly.  Most Android tablets I've tried out can't even switch home screens smoothly :smh:

Which you do get with iOS.  It can't be the specs so is it just Android in general or the manufacturers not being arsed to actually get things working right like gpu acceleration?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #97: March 04, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
ICS/4.0 has more GPU acceleration, but I'm not entirely sure where exactly it does and doesn't apply.  I know on the ICS ROM I'm running it's definitely applied to the native browsing engine, so the stock browser (and others that build off of it, like Dolphin) are actually very smooth now.  Just a hair short of iOS-like.  I would imagine the regular assortment of gApps are similarly enhanced - the new gallery in ICS is great - but again, I'm basing this off of my experience with a community ROM for older hardware (Galaxy S Fascinate).  I messed with a Galaxy Nexus at my local VZW store and it actually seemed just a tad less smooth than my own phone - perhaps because it's pushing more pixels?  Who knows.

In a nutshell, that uncertainty over what kind of experience you're going to get is the biggest problem with Android, IMO.  With iPhones and iPads, you know exactly what you're getting.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #98: March 04, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »

the key board layout is asinine - small space bar with a period where my right thumb usually strikes space. For me a Tablet is about media consumption and amazon's Os is great displaying your media

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #99: March 04, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »
iPad 3 or Amazon Fire?