Author Topic: Hagerstown Suns on the move?  (Read 24268 times)

Offline THE PIBBSTER

Re: Hagerstown Suns on the move?
« Reply #25: January 08, 2012, 07:35:14 AM »
A portion of the article from Dec. 17th,

Suns have plan for stadium makeover
Without county funding, team could leave city
http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-suns-have-plan-for-stadium-makeover-20111217,0,7023973.story?page=1

Leaving town?

In an interview Thursday, Dahbura said the Suns' owners have an active offer to move the Suns to another city.

Dahbura would not say what city, but Winchester, Va., has been floated in official circles as one that might be interested.

Asked if the offer was from Winchester, Dahbura said "no comment."

Winchester Mayor Elizabeth Minor referred questions about the city's interest in the Suns to the city's director of economic development, Jim Deskins.

"We're not in a position to comment," Deskins said.

Dahbura said the owners have received interest from multiple cities within the past six months.

"Even in this economy, there are at least 12 communities with ballpark projects, and probably more," he said. "Baseball teams are viewed as economic development engines by communities, as well as just, people want baseball in their community. So they're not making baseball teams, so they have to take them from somewhere."

Dahbura said the offers have been unsolicited. He and Kothari, in particular, do not want to see the team leave Hagerstown, but the two of them do not have a controlling interest in the team, he said.

The other owners are Bruce Quinn, chief operating officer and general manager of Polo Trace Golf Club in Delray Beach, Fla., and his sister, Sheri Quinn.

Dahbura said while the Quinns have a great interest in baseball, Dahbura and Kothari are "community-driven" and invested in the team because they want to keep professional baseball in Hagerstown.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #26: January 08, 2012, 07:58:36 AM »
Make note of new blog site to read the archived and latest developing stories ...

http://winchestersuns.blogspot.com/

Cool logo, providing good information, you sir get a :thumbs:

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #27: January 10, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
There is an update for Jan. 9th from another blogger from Hagerstown, MD.

MONDAY, JANUARY 9, 2012

http://thoughtsofrs.blogspot.com/2012/01/cleaning-out-inbox.html

Time to clean the inbox a bit and we will start with what I have found out about the recent chatter on the Hagerstown/Winchester Suns (makes me think of the old Kansas City-Omaha Kings from the 1970's).

My source is a very reliable one and tells me that the city of Hagerstown will make a charge to keep the Suns in the Hub City and that the last swing will be a strong one.

I cannot say more than that, but allow me to say this - if this turns out to be what I have been told, the Suns will be the guilty party.

The hangup thus far with the Suns and Winchester appears to be over revenue sharing or lack thereof.

Currently, the Winchester offer that would not include revenue sharing is one that the Suns are not thrilled with.

My concern is this - If Winchester comes up with a revenue sharing offer that the team likes - is that the end game?  My source says - very likely .....

The source adds this and this is a surprise to me - there is an Atlantic League team following the Hagerstown Suns situation very closely and is ready to pounce on the Hub City if the Suns are destined to leave.

Of course, affiliated baseball is much preferable to me and I am sure most fans, but that does say something about the market, if an Atlantic League (The Atlantic League is the Cadillac of Indy ball) owner thinks that highly of the potential here.

Still rather have the Suns, mind you, but this is an acceptable backup plan for me, if not others....

http://thoughtsofrs.blogspot.com/2012/01/cleaning-out-inbox.html

For all regional media related stories ... http://winchestersuns.blogspot.com/

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #28: January 11, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
The Frederick Keys minor league baseball team is the "High-A" class A baseball affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles. The Keys are based in Frederick, Maryland. The franchise is named for Star Spangled Banner poet Francis Scott Key, a native of Frederick County. The team mascot is a coyote known as Keyote. The team is currently owned by Maryland Baseball Holding LLC, after being purchased in 2006 from Comcast Spectacor. Home games are played at Harry Grove Stadium.

Slideshow of Harry Grove Stadium:
http://digitalballparks.com/Carolina/Frederick1.html

The team was founded in 1989 when the Baltimore Orioles decided to move their Class A affiliate from Hagerstown, Maryland. The city of Frederick convinced the owners of the then-Hagerstown Suns to move the team to Frederick and promised a 4,000-seat stadium to be built for the 1990 season. For the 1989 season, the Keys played at McCurdy Field, a Babe Ruth League stadium, while waiting for the construction of the new stadium to be completed.[1]

Slide Show of McCurdy Field:
http://digitalballparks.com/Carolina/McCurdy1.html

History of Hagerstown Suns:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagerstown_Suns

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #29: January 11, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
I'd definitely be down for a Nats affiliate to take over Harry Grove Stadium :woop:

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #30: January 15, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »
I have learned that Winchester is very serious about this and have been working on this for nearly a year!  Understand that a site has been identified that contains approx 8 acres within city limits.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #31: January 15, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
Did I miss something? Is there some chance that will happen?
I'd definitely be down for a Nats affiliate to take over Harry Grove Stadium :woop:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #32: January 15, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
No, I was just fantasizing at the mention of the old Suns having moved to Frederick.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: January 15, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
I have learned that Winchester is very serious about this and have been working on this for nearly a year!  Understand that a site has been identified that contains approx 8 acres within city limits.

There is that huge cemetary that nobody seems to use very much.

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #34: January 16, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »
There is that huge cemetary that nobody seems to use very much.

That's funny but I am hearing on the Northwest part of the city.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: January 16, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »

That's funny but I am hearing on the Northwest park of the city.

Did you mean park or part?

Like, over by James Wood?

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #36: January 16, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »
Should of be "part"

James Wood is in the county.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: January 16, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »
Should of be "part"

James Wood is in the county.

Gotcha.  I used to spend a bit of time in and around Winchester but have no clue as to boundaries.  I do know however that there's a bit of sibling rivalry between the Handley / James Wood contingents, as I had one of each on my audit staff for a while. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #38: January 16, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »
tom, on a scale of 1 to your head exploding, how hard was it for you not to correct "should of be"? :poke:

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #39: January 16, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
"Should of been" ... never was a 60wpm typist as my mind is much quicker than my fingers  :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #40: January 16, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »
tom, on a scale of 1 to your head exploding, how hard was it for you not to correct "should of be"? :poke:

:roll:

:lol:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #41: January 16, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »
"Should of been" ... never was a 60wpm typist as my mind is much quicker than my fingers  :)

This post makes it 1000 times more funny.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: January 16, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »

2-1 odds Linty hacked into Pibbster's account.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #43: January 16, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »

That's funny but I am hearing on the Northwest part of the city.

National Fruit/Shockey's area? DM me Pibb. Are u on Twitter?

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #45: January 22, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
MINOR LEAGUES COMING TO CITY? Baseball on Winchester City council's (work session) Tuesday agenda

winchestersuns.blogspot.com

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #46: January 23, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
The City of Winchester is holding a meeting this morning (10am) to talk about a possible location for a minor league baseball park.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #47: January 23, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
fingers crossed - i'd go there instead of Loudoun.

Offline THE PIBBSTER

« Reply #48: January 23, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »
For more details ...
winchestersuns.blogspot.com