Author Topic: And the Nationals select...  (Read 9473 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: And the Nationals select...
« Reply #100: June 08, 2007, 09:22:30 AM »
Not a bad day, not a bad day at all.  I love how we have a pitcher with the last name "Smoker."

« Reply #101: June 08, 2007, 09:26:21 AM »
I can see it now, if Smoker goes big and throws big and we are on the road, opposing fans will tremble in fear and  want to sit in the "No Smoking" section and bring signs to the stadium like these:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #102: June 08, 2007, 12:41:28 PM »
The only problem seems to be that his fastball is not a smoker.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #103: June 08, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »
The only problem seems to be that his fastball is not a smoker.

Actually, that may be the perception based upon the early book on the guy before his senior year. But in the blurb from the NFA analysis, they said:
He changed from a control pitcher early in his high school career to a power pitcher by his senior year. He has a 90+ fastball, power curveball, deceptive change, and a split-fingered change. He was a great get late in the draft.

It is nice to have a guy who can throw the gas, but at the major league level, that is not as important as movement, control, and varying speeds. People get excited about seeing 97 on the speed gun, but to big league hitters, that's nothing if it is thrown straight over the plate. If this kid is over 90 now and has that good combination now, there is reason to believe that he has some good potential.

For pitching prospects my biggest worry is always durability.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #104: June 08, 2007, 02:21:38 PM »
People get excited about seeing 97 on the speed gun, but to big league hitters, that's nothing if it is thrown straight over the plate. If this kid is over 90 now and has that good combination now, there is reason to believe that he has some good potential.

For pitching prospects my biggest worry is always durability.

See Winston Abreau about throwing flat heaters. But yeah durability is such a concern especially for our organization.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #105: June 08, 2007, 06:09:12 PM »
I've watched the 20th round pick, Daniel Cook, CF (and officially a SS/3B) junior out of Florida Atlantic University, for a couple years.

This year he was primarily the leadoff guy, and started all 58 games after starting in only 34 last year (6 as a freshman).  He hit .349, with 14 2b, 3 3b, 6 HR, 39 RBI (hit leadoff), .417 OBP and .511 SLG in 235 AB.  He's a very disciplined hitter, good compact swing, and doesn't chase balls out of the zone.  He is generally a gap-to-gap hitter.  He had 20 BB and 36 K, and stole 15 out of 21 bases.  His defense in CF is excellent.  He sometime played the left side of the infield, but I'd never consider him for infield.  I have no idea why he ever was positioned there, but there is a lot about FAU baseball that makes no sense (like why for the last 3 seasons is every last stinkin' 1-1 pitch a curve?).   He has good speed.  In CF, he gets a great jump and takes almost perfect routes to the ball.  He has a strong and accurate arm, but booted some balls playing 3B and SS.  In CF, he makes the catch on balls no body else would even try for.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #106: June 08, 2007, 06:22:09 PM »
This draft has me really excited. Great first draft for Kasten and Lerner.
It seems like we've really got a good core of prospects. Who knows, maybe we'll become one of the top prospect teams in baseball in a couple of years.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #107: June 08, 2007, 07:39:41 PM »
This draft has me really excited. Great first draft for Kasten and Lerner.
It seems like we've really got a good core of prospects. Who knows, maybe we'll become one of the top prospect teams in baseball in a couple of years.

Better yet, let's be one of the best TEAMS in baseball in a few years :)

« Reply #108: June 08, 2007, 07:45:42 PM »
Better yet, let's be one of the best TEAMS in baseball in a few years :)

2K, I have got a pic for you.  Your avatar reminded me of it.  I was surfing google images the other day and this came up:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #109: June 09, 2007, 01:35:33 PM »
Some of the Nationals draft picks are playing the NCAA baseball playoffs ... including one of their later picks Zack Pitts from Louisville who threw 7 scoreless innings, giving up 4 hits and striking out 6 in the Cardinals win over Oklahoma State yesterday!

Pitts was taken @ 910th pick/30th round (his fellow teammate OF Boomer Whiting was takend 850th). 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #110: June 12, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »
And the Nationals select: Jordan Zimmerman, RHP, Wisconsin Stevens Point.

Watch out Ryan, there's a new Zimmerman in town.

Check out the Draft Central video of this dude pitching in the snow. What a gamer!  I want him on my team in October.