Author Topic: Best "chick" songs  (Read 1478 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Best "chick" songs
« Topic Start: July 29, 2007, 09:28:14 PM »
Back in the day, it just seemed certain songs would generate a more positive response than others, when engaged socially with females of our species. 

In a way, such a list draws upon our formative era, as well as musical tastes, so it will be interesting to see what range of selections we get with this.  Bolero, anyone?

I was only able to come up with a few off the top of my head that I think warrant top 5 rating, and I know there are more out there, but with a time deficit and alchohol surplus, better just to post the list and get out of the way.  I will say with all certainty, however, that #'s 1 and 2 are not negotiable, except as to the order between the two.  But then again, I'm not a chick, so what do I know?  I would especially hope to hear from some of our female posters on this, and I promise not to attempt to exploit your vulnerabilities, once exposed.

1- "Amy" - Pure Prairie League

2- "Brown-Eyed Girl" Van Morrison

3- (space holder for future selection)

4- "Peaceful Easy Feeling", Eagles

5- "You Are The Woman (that I've always dreamed of)",  Firefall

Did not make the top 10:

"Why don't we get drunk" -Jimmy Buffett
"Dead Skunk (in the middle of the road" Loudon Wainwright III

Offline kimnat

Re: Best "chick" songs
« Reply #1: July 29, 2007, 09:48:48 PM »
pretty much any 80's top 10 would be an excellent choice for your list.  There is no way to keep it to 5 when looking at the 1980's top hits!!!

Against All Odds is a good start!  Phil Collins

Right Here Waiting for You - Richard Marx

Catch Me I'm Falling could end up on it.  Was this one Tiffany or Belinda Carlisle?

Take My Breath Away - Berlin

The Next Time I Fall in Love - Peter cetera & Amy Grant

That's just a start for me.  And funny, when I read over the top hit lists, I'm singing the opening lines of all these songs!  Cringing, laughing, enjoying some and hating others!  But yeah, the list depends upon your era!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #2: July 29, 2007, 11:15:04 PM »
For her 50th birthday, I made a slideshow DVD for my wife.  For one of the chapters, the of the songs I had as background music were "Maybe I'm Amazed" by McCartney, "(I've had) The Time of My Life" by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes, and "Unforgetable" by Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: July 29, 2007, 11:48:02 PM »
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues
Joey - Concrete Blond
Anything by Barry White
Anything by Leonard Cohen
Anything by Serge Gainesbourg

Offline kimnat

« Reply #4: July 30, 2007, 08:49:37 AM »
For her 50th birthday, I made a slideshow DVD for my wife.  For one of the chapters, the of the songs I had as background music were "Maybe I'm Amazed" by McCartney, "(I've had) The Time of My Life" by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes, and "Unforgetable" by Natalie Cole and Nat King Cole.

That was so sweet of you!  I bet she loved it!  She doesn't look more than 35 in that pic!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #5: July 30, 2007, 10:29:42 AM »
That was so sweet of you!  I bet she loved it!  She doesn't look more than 35 in that pic!

That was taken about 2 months after her 50th.   I, though, look every minute of my 48 years.  I get accused of robbing the cradle, and I'm 4 years younger than she is.  But, she's the only one in this household getting mail from AARP :).

She was 44 when she decided to go and get her BA in music.  Now she has a masters in music education, is ABD on her PhD in the arts, and it can be tough to find common ground on our tastes in music.  But she did very much like the DVD.

The first movie we saw together was "Ghost," so I had "Unchained Melody" in another chapter on special events/vacations.  That would probably be a "chick" music nominee.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #6: July 30, 2007, 07:16:31 PM »
Did not make the top 10:

"Why don't we get drunk" -Jimmy Buffett
"Dead Skunk (in the middle of the road" Loudon Wainwright III

This is hilarious! Seriously, I agree with your 1,2 and 4 picks. I would add that for some reason Barbra Streisand, Gracie Slick and Stevie Nicks also always seemed to cause a positive reaction!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #7: July 30, 2007, 10:01:15 PM »
Oh gosh yes!!!  You have to have Babs on a list like this!  You don't bring me flowers.... You don't sing me love songs...  help me stop before I gag!  I've had that confounded one memorized since middle school when we had to sing it in chorus!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: July 30, 2007, 10:19:59 PM »
...and Stevie Nicks also always seemed to cause a positive reaction!

I think Fleetwood Mac did so much incredible stuff, it's hard to single out any one song.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #9: July 31, 2007, 05:30:31 PM »
I think Fleetwood Mac did so much incredible stuff, it's hard to single out any one song.

So true. Yet I'm going to expose my lowbrow leanings here, and say that  my favorite FM is "Tusk"! Go figure.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: August 01, 2007, 08:13:55 AM »
So true. Yet I'm going to expose my lowbrow leanings here, and say that  my favorite FM is "Tusk"! Go figure.

That is one of the oddest tunes they did.  I think it holds up pretty well over time, but it's hard to get warm and comfy with it.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #11: August 05, 2007, 12:15:57 AM »
That is one of the oddest tunes they did.  I think it holds up pretty well over time, but it's hard to get warm and comfy with it.

Wasn't nominating it for a makeout song, but I find the visceral nature of the song gets me. But then my favorite "song" (altho not a vocal) is listening to Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing" on the 1938 Carnegie Concert recording. I'm jumping around every time I hear it, which must be over 5,000 times! Go Gene Krupa, Ziggy Ellman, and Harry James!!

[attachment deleted by admin]