Author Topic: The Future Of Baseball On The Space Coast  (Read 18965 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: The Future Of Baseball On The Space Coast
« Reply #100: March 07, 2012, 02:21:30 PM »
Yes, they should hold out for a thorough modernization.   I would think there is not much room for minor league fields near the park.  As I understand it, they are about a mile from the park. 

The one positive thing I've hear about City of Palms is it supposed to be close to downtown or a commercial area, or at least closer than the Twins complex and the new Jet Blue facility.  The merchants were even talking about setting up a bus from Jet Blue to downtown to bring back the ballpark tourists.

Hammonds - have you been there or are you working off reports?  For anyone who has gone to City of Palms and knows something about it, please chime in.

the minor league complex is miles down the road ... have to drive a few minutes and there's no parking lot for fans. 

also it's not in a great part of town. 

we're the damn nats, we can do whatever we want ... bulldoze over everything and make a mini replica nats park.  if the dbag sawx can, we can. 

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #101: March 07, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »
Looks to me like there's a second field just beyond the left field wall.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #102: March 07, 2012, 02:25:43 PM »
The field beyond the wall is not the minor league facility.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #103: March 07, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »
The field beyond the wall is not the minor league facility.

yup ... they only have a second field behind the park. 

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #104: March 07, 2012, 02:31:54 PM »
Yep, you're right JCA.

Here's an overhead shot. I bet with a little bit of tweaking a minor league facility could be fit in.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #105: March 07, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »
yup ... they only have a second field behind the park. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Beat me to it!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106: March 07, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »
The minor league development fields are 2.5 miles from City of Palms.  Here is a description of the Player Development Complex and a link to a description of City of Palms:

Until exhibition games begin, practices are held at the Player Development Complex each morning from approximately 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. The Complex is located at 4301 Edison Avenue, just two and a half miles from City of Palms Park. Fans can watch practice sessions for free but there is no public parking at the Complex, so shuttle buses are provided from City of Palms Park for $2 per person.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #107: March 07, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »
The minor league development fields are 2.5 miles from City of Palms.  Here is a description of the Player Development Complex and a link to a description of City of Palms:

Thanks for the info, JCA.

The more I look at the green space in that overhead shot the more I'm thinking that's what they use for parking on game days.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #108: March 20, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
@AdamKilgoreWP: Lee County seeking approval to negotiate with the #Nats, a process that could move their site from Viera to Fort Myers.

Offline imref

« Reply #109: April 26, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
Nats open negotiations with Ft. Myers;

http://m.news-press.com/topnews/article?a=2012120426002&f=1968

Lee County and Fort Myers officials today began negotiations with the Washington Nationals.

County officials hope the Nationals will move into City of Palms Park -- the venue left vacant when the Red Sox moved into their new home.

Fort Myers Mayor Randy Henderson Jr. and County Manager Karen Hawes walked into the downtown county administration building where negotiations are being held.

Lee County Commissioner Frank Mann also dropped by the building and made a brief statement.

"There's honest negotiations going on at this time and I high have hopes that we might be able to pull something off," Mann said.

The meeting was not open to the public or media.

If county officials reach a deal with the Nationals, they'll have to do it with limited resources.

The $80 million price tag of the Red Sox's new stadium, Jet Blue Park, has left the county's tourist tax fund strapped for cash.

A portion of the taxes on hotel rooms and rental properties pays for springtime baseball in the county.

With a majority dedicated to paying off bonds the county took out to build Jet Blue Park, the funds remaining revenue sources will likely need to be spent on improvements to Hammond Stadium for the Minnesota Twins.

From this morning on news-press.com

Lee County staff will meet this afternoon with representatives of the Washington Nationals about relocating the team's spring training operations to City of Palms Park, a move that could happen as early as 2014.

The closed-door meeting is scheduled for 1 p.m. today.

Assistant County Manager Doug Meurer is leading the negotiations with the Nationals.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #110: April 26, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
so where the hell will they get the money to do all the MUCH NEEDED renovations. 

don't move into a crappy park in a crappy location b/c it's closer to other teams. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111: April 26, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
There would have to be a heck of rent concession if the Nats have to move into City of Palms.  There's an advantage to being near other teams sites that Viera cannot offer, but if the facility was inadequate for the Red Sox, I don't see why it'd be adequate from a baseball sense for the Nats. 

I expect this is mostly just playing cities off against each other and that this does not preclude Viera.  Without Ft Myers having a better facility (and it does not sound like it is, necessarily), this just seems like looking for the best deal.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #112: April 26, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
There would have to be a heck of rent concession if the Nats have to move into City of Palms.  There's an advantage to being near other teams sites that Viera cannot offer, but if the facility was inadequate for the Red Sox, I don't see why it'd be adequate from a baseball sense for the Nats.

You don't?

:$$$:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #113: April 26, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
i get it, it's close to other teams ... but i repeat, we should not be moving in there if there's no money going to be put into renovations.  the prax fields are miles down the road.  there is nothing whatsoever that is exciting about watching a game at the park.  the ameninities (for players/personnel and fans alike) are outdated.  the neighborhood is crummy.

i could go on and on. 

Offline 114D

« Reply #114: April 26, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
I don't want Ft. Myers, I want Ft. Lauderdale.  I don't care if they have to play in the O's old craphole stadium.  Ft. Lauderdale is an awesome area to visit unlike the other redneck and way-out-in-the-middle of nowhere locations every other team has their spring training site in FL.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #115: April 26, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »
I don't want Ft. Myers, I want Ft. Lauderdale.  I don't care if they have to play in the O's old craphole stadium.  Ft. Lauderdale is an awesome area to visit unlike the other redneck and way-out-in-the-middle of nowhere locations every other team has their spring training site in FL.

Like Viera?

Offline imref

« Reply #116: April 26, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »
Like Viera?

i'd prefer the gulf coast as well.  I'd love to be able to spend a week in the stretch from Ft. Myers to Tampa and see a few games.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #117: April 26, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »
i'd prefer the gulf coast as well.  I'd love to be able to spend a week in the stretch from Ft. Myers to Tampa and see a few games.

Agreed.  I dont' get why you would want to STAY on the east coast of Florida.  Generally it rains more, and there are NO teams out there anymore.  Moving to Ft. Meyers puts less games in play against the Braves, Mets, and Marlins.  They probably will get maybe ONE series against ONE of those teams each year.  Plus you are close to Tampa, and still close enough to Orlando if you have young kids and want to end up going to the Happiest Place on Earth.  Win-Win.   :shrug:

Offline imref

« Reply #118: April 26, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
Agreed.  I dont' get why you would want to STAY on the east coast of Florida.  Generally it rains more, and there are NO teams out there anymore.  Moving to Ft. Meyers puts less games in play against the Braves, Mets, and Marlins.  They probably will get maybe ONE series against ONE of those teams each year.  Plus you are close to Tampa, and still close enough to Orlando if you have young kids and want to end up going to the Happiest Place on Earth.  Win-Win.   :shrug:

There are plenty of nice places on the east coast - St. Augustine & Amelia Island are beautiful.  I like Miami beach (at least for conferences).  But yeah, if i'm coming down to see baseball it would be nice to have the Nats near a whole bunch of other teams.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #119: April 26, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »
There are plenty of nice places on the east coast - St. Augustine & Amelia Island are beautiful.  I like Miami beach (at least for conferences).  But yeah, if i'm coming down to see baseball it would be nice to have the Nats near a whole bunch of other teams.

Agreed that there are nice places, but the east coast does not benefit from Gulf effect warmth either.  My family (grandparents) would go down to the east coast every year until they bought a time share on the west coast IN Ft. Meyers.  They never went back to the east coast and never wanted to as far as weather goes.  Plus being close to other teams is nice.  Just to play the Sox, Rays, and Yanks would up ticket revenue.

Offline imref

« Reply #120: April 26, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
Agreed that there are nice places, but the east coast does not benefit from Gulf effect warmth either.  My family (grandparents) would go down to the east coast every year until they bought a time share on the west coast IN Ft. Meyers.  They never went back to the east coast and never wanted to as far as weather goes.  Plus being close to other teams is nice.  Just to play the Sox, Rays, and Yanks would up ticket revenue.

i've been fortunate enough to see a great deal of Florida (except Naples and Key West).  My absolute favorite spots are Ft. Myers Beach and Sanibel, but Amelia Island was really nice too.  I was there last August and the heat wasn't unbearable.  Least favorite is without a doubt, Orlando.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #121: April 26, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
Sanibel

The best place in Florida. I miss it. No resorts more than 4 floors tall, no mass market stuff, no chain restaurants except a Dairy Queen. Best seashell beaches in the Western Hemisphere and a wildlife refuge with canoeing.

Offline imref

« Reply #122: April 26, 2012, 10:07:03 PM »
The best place in Florida. I miss it. No resorts more than 4 floors tall, no mass market stuff, no chain restaurants except a Dairy Queen. Best seashell beaches in the Western Hemisphere and a wildlife refuge with canoeing.

you are killing me here. :)

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #123: April 26, 2012, 10:52:58 PM »
I much prefer the east coast, but

Offline machpost

Space Coast is a nice facility for the organization, but it sounds like Lee County wants them badly and should be willing to make whatever renovations/additions it takes to lure them. One of the recent articles mentioned turning one of the parking lots adjacent to the ballpark into practice fields, and building a parking garage nearby.

And count me as a huge fan of Sanibel Island. It really is gorgeous and relaxing down there. Very laid back, old-school Florida. I could definitely picture spending a little while down there every spring.