Author Topic: BA: 2011 Nats Top 10 Prospects  (Read 7531 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: BA: 2011 Nats Top 10 Prospects
« Reply #50: December 23, 2010, 07:02:36 PM »
I vaguely remember him being left unprotected on waivers and immediately pounced on by the Yankees, for whom he appeared in parts of 3 seasons before being sold into indentured servitude with the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles.

His uncle or something posted on the MLB board.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: December 23, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »
I vaguely remember him being left unprotected on waivers and immediately pounced on by the Yankees, for whom he appeared in parts of 3 seasons before being sold into indentured servitude with the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles.
I pick up Rakuten Noodles when I want a cheap lunch.  I did not realize there were Golden Eagles in it, but they aren't on the endangered or threatened list.

Over in the 1B thread, I speculated about whether the Nats might have backed off from LaRoche (and possibly Dunn) because they want to keep a position open for Norris if he does not pan out at catcher.  that judgment may be made this season if they don't think his catching is up to snuff.  This might make a Lee or other shorter term fill ins more what they have in mind.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #52: December 26, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
http://www.masnsports.com/phil_wood/2010/12/post-christmas-update.html

Feelin' Good Phil Wood says Derek Norris could play some LF this year.  He looked reasonably athletic and mobile when I got to see him in AFL this year but that was only from him running the bases.  I have no clue what he'd look like in the field.  Anyone else have some insight? 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #53: December 27, 2010, 08:55:39 AM »
http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2010/12/nats-top-prospects---no-8-eury-perez.html

I'm liking this Byron Kerr series on each of the BA top ten.  Eure Perez is his latest.  Again, not super optimistic.  We've had guys with good speed before (ahem, Nyjer), who haven't seemed to put it all together.  Also, the article doesn't really mention anything about Perez's arm.  Anyone know if he as an outfield arm? 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #54: December 27, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »
I think management views Wilson Ramos as more than a stop-gap until Norris gets here, which would explain why they are looking to switch Norris to first or left.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: December 27, 2010, 04:33:06 PM »
If Ramos is the long term catcher going forward, Norris needs to be traded. A catcher with that bat has a whole lot more value that a left fielder or a first baseman

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56: December 27, 2010, 07:42:49 PM »
If Ramos is the long term catcher going forward, Norris needs to be traded. A catcher with that bat has a whole lot more value that a left fielder or a first baseman
+1.  You have to wonder how much the braintrust can devalue their best trade chits?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #57: December 27, 2010, 07:57:24 PM »
Maybe they decide Norris will never develop as a defensive catcher.  If his bat will play at 1B, I'm fine with him there.  I suppose I'd trade him if he brought back a Garza-level starter. 

How does Norris compare as a prospect to Lawrie, who brought Marcum?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #58: December 27, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »
Norris supposedly wowed enough scouts to the point that they're all confident he'll stick at catcher.

He's not very athletic looking though, and I honestly do think that plays a part in how Rizzo sees him.

I believe the Nats value Norris less, than most teams do.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #59: December 27, 2010, 08:06:54 PM »
Norris supposedly wowed enough scouts to the point that they're all confident he'll stick at catcher.

He's not very athletic looking though, and I honestly do think that plays a part in how Rizzo sees him.
Ramos isn't either.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #60: December 27, 2010, 08:25:28 PM »
He is in the sense that he's big and strapping. Norris is more of a short, stout type.

Online RD

« Reply #61: December 27, 2010, 10:38:47 PM »

I believe the Nats value Norris less, than most teams do.

Interesting how you come to that conclusion.

I seriously doubt it.

We have a catcher, who does appear to have some versatility, that can hit for power and has a fantastic eye at the plate. There is no reason for the organization to be 'down' on him, or undervalue him.

He doesn't have an athletic looking body, but that doesn't mean anything. He's no different than Willingham, body wise and Willingham started here for a couple years. I know we traded Willingham, but his body type had nothing to do with that. His rising contract, impending free agency, age, and injury history are what moved him on the way out.

Norris is a question mark in the outfield, but he shows surprising speed on the bases and has the short area quickness to play catcher. I dont see anything that would hinder him from moving to the OF, although I think 1B would be the more likely move for him in terms of moving at the big leauge level.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #62: December 27, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
I guess we'll have to see.

Online blue911

« Reply #63: December 28, 2010, 06:58:33 AM »
He is in the sense that he's big and strapping. Norris is more of a short, stout type.

Wilson Ramos 6'0" 220 lbs.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ramoswi01.shtml

Derek Norris 6' 0" 210 lbs.   http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=norris001der

Not all facts are mindfacts.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #64: December 28, 2010, 07:00:24 AM »
Wilson Ramos 6'0" 220 lbs.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ramoswi01.shtml

Derek Norris 6' 0" 210 lbs.   http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=norris001der

Not all facts are mindfacts.

:lmao: Flores LOOKS like a catcher, but he's actually a pincushion.

Online blue911

« Reply #65: December 28, 2010, 07:17:41 AM »

:lmao: Flores LOOKS like a catcher, but he's actually a pincushion.

Calling Ramos "strapping" is like calling the Hulk "lanky". Ramos is built like a tank.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: December 28, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »
More to the point, the organization seems to be more willing to trade Norris than Ramos* because Ramos is recognized as a good defensive catcher with MLB level defense right now, while Norris's d is developing and a projection.  Ramos has enough pop that he is not just a glove only, catch and throw back up.  Norris has a  bat that is good enough to play other positions (although I'm not sure we are talking about a Daric Barton** type bat that would have been excellent at catcher and a good OBP-driven OPS elsewhere).  It's tea-lef reading, but the organization seems to be exploring more paths for Norris not to be the catcher here than paths to open the catching slot up for him.  That devalues him.

* I wish PotCan were here right now to blast me for believing the media hack stories that say Norris was one of the names in the mix in the Greinke discussions.  I don't know what other deals his name came up in, and it may be that KC wanted him because they and the Nats both recognize he's better than Ramos, but you couple that with Blurb Ludestones point they are looking to give Norris time at other positions like LF makes you think that they don't see Norris as their long term #1 catcher.

** yes, Norris has shown more power than Barton at this stage, but Barton was still more highly regarded as a hitter up through age 21 or so.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #67: December 28, 2010, 06:04:44 PM »
Honestly, I hope they leave Norris at C. Sign Lee/Laroche for a couple years, and maybe this year with one of our picks draft a 1B (even I've pretty much given up on Marrero).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #68: December 28, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »
Better yet, trade Norris for an elite 1b prospect. We won't get Hosmer, but we should be able to get a good one if we can find a team that thinks Norris will stick at C

Offline natstime

« Reply #69: December 29, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »
Better yet, trade Norris for an elite 1b prospect. We won't get Hosmer, but we should be able to get a good one if we can find a team that thinks Norris will stick at C

Or keep Norris, let him develop while we show that Ramos is a legitamite magor league cather, then trade Ramos for a major league ready first basemen.  Then you get to keep Norris's offense and a good first baseman.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #70: December 30, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
Or keep them both for a while and avoid putting all of your eggs in one basket. Prospects at premium positions don't always work out.

The Yankees, for example, looked like they had 3 premium catching prospects at the beginning of the 2010 season (Montero, Romine, Sanchez) and now they're lucky if they have one since Romine's catching skills were greatly exaggerated and Montero won't ever be a decent catcher.

No reason to do anything at all until we reach a point where (a) Norris looks like he can catch in the majors, and (b) Ramos looks like he can hit in the majors. At this point, it's silly to assume either. If both happen, it won't be hard to trade either for a good couple of prospects. Both good-hitting/average defense Cs and average hitting/good defense Cs are worth an awful lot if they're under team control.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #71: December 30, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »
I might be crazy... but isn't Norris's bat already considered MLB ready?

I thought it was his defense that was making the transition slow. Somewhat like Carlos Santana, last year.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #72: December 30, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
I'm excited for Norris- he has the athletic ability to be a good defensive catcher, from what I'e heard, and he's already started tranferring the athleticism into results. His hitting... well, he had a .235 batting average and somehow an OBP over .400. And he started getting really good at the end of the year.
He's starting at AA this year, right? That's a test.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #73: December 30, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
The reports I've read on Norris all point to great things.

Positives
+ Has an eye better than most minor league umpires
+ Great raw/practical power
+ Cannon for an arm
+ Calls a good game
+ Athletic

Negatives
- Problems getting into a solid pitch blocking position
- Receiving/framing difficulties
- Tendency to get nicked up (even though getting hit in the head wasn't his fault)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #74: December 30, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
I gotta think the Nats front office is smart enough to realize that Zim, Werth, Harper, and Norris are a crazy offensive core if kept together. In three years or so they could be combining for 125 home runs. (2008 Washington Nationals roster: 117 home runs.)