Author Topic: Where is Gio in the Cy Young running?  (Read 3347 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Where is Gio in the Cy Young running?
« Topic Start: September 11, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »
Whaddya think?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: Where is Gio in the Cy Young running?
« Reply #1: September 11, 2012, 02:11:36 PM »
Numbah 1 nages!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: September 11, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »
Most whispers have Cueto or Dickey. Gio might end up 3rd or 4th.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #3: September 11, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Gio could still win it with a big September but Dickey has to be the frontrunner right now.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #4: September 11, 2012, 02:34:17 PM »
Been hearing more convo about him being right there with Dickey, or at least they discussed it yesterday MLB Tonight.  He should be right in the mix.  The thing working against Dickey is that the Mets have completely fallen out of the race.  Gio and Cueto have done it in the heat or a pennant chase.  I think that should count for something.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #5: September 11, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
Been hearing more convo about him being right there with Dickey, or at least they discussed it yesterday MLB Tonight.  He should be right in the mix.  The thing working against Dickey is that the Mets have completely fallen out of the race.  Gio and Cueto have done it in the heat or a pennant chase.  I think that should count for something.

It does count for something.  Which is why if Gio can have a very good September he can leapfrog Dickey, who is having a SPECTACULAR season.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #6: September 11, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »
It does count for something.  Which is why if Gio can have a very good September he can leapfrog Dickey, who is having a SPECTACULAR season.

I'm with ya on this.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: September 11, 2012, 03:21:05 PM »
Nats can give Gio the lead tonight if they light up Dickey

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: September 11, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
Here it is, I was wondering what we would do with all the CMW jokes now that he is not pitching.  We have a perfect target - RAD!

Offline Clever

« Reply #9: September 11, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
I would pick Cueto, but after his All-Star snub, I wouldn't be so sure. If Gio finds a way to win NL pitcher of the month, I think he's looking pretty good. If the award were solely based upon individual performance, I think Dickey would win, but since team performance is such a major factor, I don't think his performance on 65-76 team would garner enough 1st place votes. Thank you, this is probably the longest post I have ever written.

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #10: September 11, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
Gio is 2nd on the ESPN Cy Young predictor. Pinning a loss on Dickey tonight should put Gio in front by that metric.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

Offline Hogie

« Reply #11: September 11, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
I'd say probably 2nd right now but there's still a lot of baseball to be played. Oh, and Gio has been insanely good with Suzuki behind the plate so that should continue.

That said, even being a Nats fan, I wouldn't vote for him to win it.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #13: September 11, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
I would pick Cueto, but after his All-Star snub, I wouldn't be so sure. If Gio finds a way to win NL pitcher of the month, I think he's looking pretty good. If the award were solely based upon individual performance, I think Dickey would win, but since team performance is such a major factor, I don't think his performance on 65-76 team would garner enough 1st place votes. Thank you, this is probably the longest post I have ever written.
Sad too because as much as I dislike the Mets I really think the fact that Dickey is having the kind of year he has had on such a bad team makes it all the more impressive.  I think in the end Dickey will deserve it no matter what but that doesn't mean he'll win it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #14: September 11, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
Nats can give Gio the lead tonight if they light up Dickey

Oh SF,  you left a lot of wiggle room there.   :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: September 11, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »
Most whispers have Cueto or Dickey. Gio might end up 3rd or 4th.

Cueto's had a couple of weak outings, trending downward.

Dickey should be the favorite.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: September 11, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

Don't forget voters correctly selected Felix Hernandez, 13-12, over the 21-7 CC Sabathia and others who were playing with contenders or had gaudier W-L records. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #17: September 11, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
Don't forget voters correctly selected Felix Hernandez, 13-12, over the 21-7 CC Sabathia and others who were playing with contenders or had gaudier W-L records. 

Felix also had a WAY better year than Dickey.  And that's not taking anything away from Dickey either because he has been stellar.  But that season by Hernandez was amazing.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #18: September 11, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »

Oh SF,  you left a lot of wiggle room there.   :)

This is the only situation where I'd enjoy a Dickey behind us.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #19: September 11, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »
About that ESPN calculator thing, the victory bonus shouldn't be on Division Title, it should be based on overall record.  Just because the NL East is toughest division out of the three in the NL should allows the Nats to be better than the Reds who are outpacing  weaker opponents.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #20: September 11, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »
Everybody on baseball tonight is on the Dickey. BANDWAGON! 

Of course I think Gio should get it.  You know Dickey will because hes on a NY team.  Docent matter that we're in 1st or that be plays on a team that is the best in baseball!  DICKEY will get it because in the eyes of MLB NY IS KING!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #21: September 11, 2012, 11:16:08 PM »
Dickey shouldn't get crap. Mets stink and he's a gimmick that's having a fluke season. Gio is leading a team to their first playoff birth in team history and is having an amazing season.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #22: September 11, 2012, 11:30:06 PM »
Dickey shouldn't get crap. Mets stink and he's a gimmick that's having a fluke season. Gio is leading a team to their first playoff birth in team history and is having an amazing season.

Umm Dickey is the better pitcher. I'm guessing you think only playoff pitchers can win the Cy

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #23: September 11, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »
Umm Dickey is the better pitcher. I'm guessing you think only playoff pitchers can win the Cy

I don't know about that. I don't think Dickey is the better pitcher at all, he just seems to fell into something that works and has worked incredibly hard to make it work. I don't think he's the better pitcher though.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #24: September 11, 2012, 11:37:30 PM »
Dickey is pretty clearly having a better year.