Author Topic: Destin Hood  (Read 7708 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Destin Hood
« Reply #25: June 25, 2008, 11:57:22 AM »
I don't know this team is making me DEPRESSED, and the lack of signings is killing me. I mean not one top 5 pick signed yet, I think we are the only team in the league that hasn't sign a least one of our top 5.

It'll happen. We have more than a month left to sign them.

« Reply #26: June 25, 2008, 12:07:29 PM »
I don't know. I understand about getting your foot in the door but you have to wonder if some of these kids actually rolled their eyes when they found out they were drafted by the one, the only, Washington Nationals.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #27: June 25, 2008, 12:09:10 PM »
I don't know. I understand about getting your foot in the door but you have to wonder if some of these kids actually rolled their eyes when they found out they were drafted by the one, the only, Washington Nationals.

If I was a player, that'd make me sign quicker. Especially if I was a college player.

« Reply #28: June 25, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »
If I was a player, that'd make me sign quicker. Especially if I was a college player.

Apparently that theory does work too well on this year's crop so far.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #29: June 25, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
Crow is projected as a #1 starter. First time we've had one of those, I believe. I say pay that man his money.

(Image removed from quote.)

Give him a bigger bonus to avoid starting his option clock with a Major League contract.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #30: June 25, 2008, 12:27:50 PM »
Opting to return to college for his senior year would be a mistake because he loses any leverage he has this season. What's he going to do next season when he's likely to get drafted lower, especially after showing he is not willing to be reasonable, and has no option left but to either sign or go play in an independent league?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #31: June 25, 2008, 12:29:03 PM »
Opting to return to college for his senior year would be a mistake because he loses any leverage he has this season. What's he going to do next season when he's likely to get drafted lower, especially after showing he is not willing to be reasonable, and has no option left but to either sign or go play in an independent league?

Independent leagues have actually worked once or twice. Hochevar right?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #32: June 25, 2008, 12:41:50 PM »
yep

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #33: June 25, 2008, 12:49:13 PM »
But that's more time wasted in the development process and also in earning potential. It just seems like a dumb idea.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #34: June 25, 2008, 12:51:53 PM »
100% chance he signs. :D

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #35: June 25, 2008, 12:52:52 PM »
But that's more time wasted in the development process and also in earning potential. It just seems like a dumb idea.

I agree with both of these statements.  It seems as Crow can do very little but hurt his status going into next season.  His season, this year, was short of amazing.  It would be very hard to replicate it and, more specifically, to gain the recognition for repeating it in an independent league.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #36: June 25, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
I agree with both of these statements.  It seems as Crow can do very little but hurt his status going into next season.  His season, this year, was short of amazing.  It would be very hard to replicate it and, more specifically, to gain the recognition for repeating it in an independent league.

I'm just playing devil's advocate - also I don't like guys demanding to get Major League deals. Also, if we don't sign him -we get picks 7a and potentially 1 next year.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #37: June 25, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »
I'm just playing devil's advocate - also I don't like guys demanding to get Major League deals. Also, if we don't sign him -we get picks 7a and potentially 1 next year.

I will agree with this assessment as well.  I would not give him a major league deal and think that we have a bit more leverage in the negotiating process with Crow.  Signing a guy for as much money as we will have to give him and then placing him on the 40-man roster is absurd, as he will pretty much guarantee that he will have to sit on that roster for the entire time he is with us.  I would love to sign him, I think they eventually will, but they shouldnt make the mistake of giving him a major league contract.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #38: June 25, 2008, 02:10:57 PM »
Hopefully Lenny Harris was kept away from Hood's BP session

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #39: June 25, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »
Hopefully Lenny Harris was kept away from Hood's BP session

:rofl:

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #40: June 25, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »
Whats everyone's rush on Crow? The deadline is not until Aug. 15th if after Aug. 15 we still haven't signed people then we can complain. Crow was rumored to be a tough sign before we picked him so it's going to take awhile but it will get done. Plus the MLB doesn't like teams to announce above-slot deals early because that will interfere with other teams negotiation process. Crow will definetly be an above-slot guy.

Bowden was saying the same type of things when he was negotiating with Smoker and Burgess last year. He's just sending the man a message that the sooner he signs the sooner he will be in the ML.

If I'm bothered about anything in our scouting dept. right now its our lack of linkage to these International FA that will be available July 2nd. I know we have a ton of guys in the DSL and some argue the strategy of would you rather sign a lot of young guys for a little or one for a bunch. It seems like we're taking the don't put all your eggs in one basket approach. I like what I'm seeing in the DSL but I'd just like to combine that with one of the big name guys July 2nd. Btw Smiley's hitting .444 and S. Leon is hitting .455 so far in the GCL.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #41: June 26, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
Whats everyone's rush on Crow? The deadline is not until Aug. 15th if after Aug. 15 we still haven't signed people then we can complain. Crow was rumored to be a tough sign before we picked him so it's going to take awhile but it will get done. Plus the MLB doesn't like teams to announce above-slot deals early because that will interfere with other teams negotiation process. Crow will definetly be an above-slot guy.

Bowden was saying the same type of things when he was negotiating with Smoker and Burgess last year. He's just sending the man a message that the sooner he signs the sooner he will be in the ML.

If I'm bothered about anything in our scouting dept. right now its our lack of linkage to these International FA that will be available July 2nd. I know we have a ton of guys in the DSL and some argue the strategy of would you rather sign a lot of young guys for a little or one for a bunch. It seems like we're taking the don't put all your eggs in one basket approach. I like what I'm seeing in the DSL but I'd just like to combine that with one of the big name guys July 2nd. Btw Smiley's hitting .444 and S. Leon is hitting .455 so far in the GCL.

Every now and then you hear something about Dominican's being signed. I dont know how much hoopla surrounds these signings typically. These guys are 16 years old and probably dont have any stats to put in a press release.  Its basically like "we saw him do some drills and gave him a million dollars".

Before Emailyn we signed Frank Cruz or something like that, wonder what he is up to.  I dont know how highly regarded he was but I think we paid a decent amount for him and beat out some big spending teams.

We won the Dominican League and right now none of those guys even factor into our jump from the 30th ranked farm system to the 9th.  I think we are going to be pretty well stocked in 3 years when these guys start getting to A ball age

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: June 26, 2008, 03:00:17 PM »
Before Emailyn we signed Frank Cruz or something like that, wonder what he is up to.  I dont know how highly regarded he was but I think we paid a decent amount for him and beat out some big spending teams.

Frank was listed on the GCL Nationals teams' roster, second year same team.

http://farmauthority.dcsportsnet.com/2008/06/16/gcl-rosters-announced/

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #43: June 26, 2008, 06:18:55 PM »
Okay, how much longer are we going to have to wait before they sign D.Hood? He came to visit D.C. and still nothing, if this was the Redskins Danny boy would have been had him signed.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: June 26, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »
Seriously man, simmer a bit.  Don't be shocked if this goes down to the deadline.  I think we'll sign Crow before  we sign Hood.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #45: June 26, 2008, 07:47:14 PM »
I would have thought Crow would be the last to sign.

MrMadison

« Reply #46: June 26, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
I don't care WHEN they sign, so long as they do.

for all the focus, importance, and attention this Organization is placing on drafting and development, not signing their draft picks is absolutely inexcusable.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #47: June 26, 2008, 08:06:47 PM »

for all the focus, importance, and attention this Organization is placing on drafting and development, not signing their draft picks is absolutely inexcusable.
Yessss!!! That is exactly what i'am saying, don't talk about it be about it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #48: June 26, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »

Sooner they sign, the sooner they get into instructional leagues or A ball and get their asses up to the majors.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #49: July 03, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »
As I do everyday, I checked for any news related to our unsigned draft picks.  Found another blurb on Hood today, here it is (I will continue to post any info or news I find on him in this thread):

With their second pick in the 2008 draft, the Washington Nationals selected Destin Hood. Hood is a tremendous athlete who prior to the draft had committed to play both football (3 star wide receiver recruit) and baseball at Alabama. His tremendous natural power and athleticism reminds you of a Mike Cameron or a Torri Hunter, but his raw skills make you realize that he will have to work hard to achieve Major League readiness.

Hood played shortstop for his high school, but he will likely be converted to an outfielder by the Nats. He has poor hands and his height and speed really convert perfectly to the outfield. The only thing he will need to do is improve his arm. His power in batting practice is incredible but it has yet to translate to in game success. This isn’t uncommon for pure athletes. Once he better understands the game and how to approach pitch counts, he will start turning on, and driving balls out of the park.

from:  http://www.thenatsblog.com/2008/06/look-at-nats-second-round-pic-destin.html