Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97284 times)

Offline NatsNut

• pink caps suck
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #175: January 10, 2010, 02:41:29 PM »
The missus recently made a Thai chili peanut pork loin in the crock pot that was outrageously good over jasmine rice. 

:thumbs:

Gulp!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #176: January 10, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »
Tell Frau Mau to post the recipe here!

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #177: January 10, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »
Here goes:

Thai Pork with Peanut Sauce

1 2 pound boneless pork loin trimmed of fat and cut into 4 pieces (I used one prepackaged tenderloin, both pieces cut in half)
2 large red bell peppers, seeded andcut into strips
1/3 prepared teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used about 3, so use your own judgement, we like spicy)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

for serving:
1/2 cup chopped green onions (white part and some of the green)
1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts (optional)
2 limes, cut to make 8 to 12 wedges (optional)

Coat the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Put the pork, teriyaki sauce, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes and garlic in the cooker. Cover and cook on low until the pork is fork-tender (I put mine on the ten hour setting because it is the lowest one and just ended it earlier). The original recipe says to also add the red peppers, but I found they disappeared into the sauce. I would wait until the last hour to add them so they keep some of their shape and crispiness. 

Remove the pork from the cooker and coarsely chop (I just used two forks). Add the peanut butter to the liquid in the cooker; stir well to dissolve the peanut butter and blen with the liquid to make the sauce (I turned my cooker back on and used a high setting to mix the sauce, but also to get it to reduce some). You can either add sauce over the pork as you like, or add the pork back to the mixture and toss it to coat the meat evenly.

Serve in shallow bowls over hot jasmine rice, and sprinkle each serving with some of the green onions and peanuts, sprits with lime according to taste.

The original recipe is from 'Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook' by Beth Hensperger.

Enjoy!  :)

Offline saltydad

« Reply #178: January 10, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
Thanks!!! Since I can't use the pork here ay home, what beef cut do you think will work best? I use skirt steak to make satay, but this calls for something more substantial I think.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #179: January 10, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
Maybe a lean roast?  Like a round roast? 

Thanks!!! Since I can't use the pork here ay home, what beef cut do you think will work best? I use skirt steak to make satay, but this calls for something more substantial I think.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #180: January 10, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »
Great, I'll give it a try. Appreciate the fast service. Sure sounds delicious. I'll be over at 7.  :)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #181: January 10, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
Here goes:

The original recipe is from 'Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook' by Beth Hensperger.

Enjoy!  :)

Sweet thats the one that I got free for my Kindle.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #182: January 10, 2010, 04:28:01 PM »
Sweet thats the one that I got free for my Kindle.

My mom saw it for 18.95 in a store, and then found it in some book catalog for 3.95. So far the seasonings on the recipes have been great, but you need to use some common sense, too. (like don't put the bell pepper in at the same time as the pork or it will be mush). That particular recipe is on page 360.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #183: January 10, 2010, 04:28:34 PM »
Great, I'll give it a try. Appreciate the fast service. Sure sounds delicious. I'll be over at 7.  :)

Oh that was a week ago! Tonight it is the lentil chili! I'll let you know in 6 hours!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #184: January 10, 2010, 04:32:23 PM »
Here's another slow cooking recipe from bananas.org.

1- 2 or 3 pound pork roast, I used sirloin roast
1 large onion sliced
1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 minced clove garlic
1 sliced tomato
2 small sweet banana peppers and 1/4 t ground red pepper
or 2 of your favorite hot peppers (or more for hotter) sliced into rings or strips
juice of one lime
salt and pepper to taste
4 med or two large banana leaves, I used ice cream* this time because I had them

lay out the leaves in the sun for a couple of hours to wilt slightly, they wrap up easier that way.

If you use medium leaves, Lay two leaves overlapping slightly on the table and lay the roast on the leaves. If you're using large ones, just use one leaf. Season the roast well with the salt and pepper. Layer the onion, then the tomato, garlic, peppers and sprinkle the oregano and cumin on top. Squeeze the lime on top over all.
Wrap the banana leaves over the roast to make a packet then lay out the other two leaves and wrap it the other way to make it securely sealed. Put it in the crockpot and cook it for 8 hours on low or 4 on high. Remove from crock pot and rest it for 15 minutes, then slice or shred meat. Serves 4-6.
Serve with tortillas, salsa, avacado or guacamole, sour cream and your fave hot sauce. I'm sure this would be even better grilled but I was too lazy.

* refers to a particular banana variety Musa 'Ice Cream'.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #185: January 10, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
What's up with you and bananas, Salty?  Do you grow them?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #186: January 10, 2010, 04:39:24 PM »
Oh yes. I currently am growing 19 varieties of bananas and 6 of palms.
Banana species and cultivars grown:
    Musa basjoo
    Musa velutina
    Musella lasiocarpa
    Musa acuminata "Siam Ruby"
    Musa sikkimensis
    Musa "Dwarf Cavendish"
    Musa "Cavendish"
    Musa "Truly Tiny"
    Musa "High Color Mini"
    Ensete maurelli
    Musa "Bordelon"
    Musa 'Zebrina' rojo
    Ensete glaucum
    Musa Itinerans var. Guangdongensis (Burmese Blue)
    Musa 'dwarf orinoco'
    Musa ornata 'Bronze'
    Musa Saba
    Musa ornata 'Lavender'
    Orinoco

Palms

Trachycarpus fortunei
    Rapidophyllum hystrix
    Sabal minor
    Sabal mexicana
    Butia eriospatha
    Sabal 'Tamaulipas'

If you're interested head over to bananas.org, a great site for those interested. I'm also on the staff of The Bananas Quarterly, a magazine we publish.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #187: January 10, 2010, 04:41:47 PM »
:shock:
do you live in the DC area?  I didn't know you could grow them around here.  Do you have a special greenhouse or something like that?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #188: January 10, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
Don't want to totally derail this thread. Yeah, some are outside year round, others are brought into the house for the winter. If still interested, send me a PM to discuss further.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #189: January 10, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Salty, there is a banana that we had last time we were in Costa Rica, they grew right where we were staying and the owner of the casita would bring us some everyday, along with whatever bread/cookie/etc. that he had used them to cook. These guys were a little shorter, fatter, and straighter than what we get here. They were sweet with a creamy texture. I know this is all pretty vague, but based on that region do you have any ideas what kind they could have been? Makes me not want to have another 'industrial' banana. We were happy to eat several of these things a day.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #190: January 10, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »
My mom saw it for 18.95 in a store, and then found it in some book catalog for 3.95. So far the seasonings on the recipes have been great, but you need to use some common sense, too. (like don't put the bell pepper in at the same time as the pork or it will be mush). That particular recipe is on page 360.
It's 4.85 at Alibris now.
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?binding=&mtype=&keyword=Not+Your+Mother%27s+Slow+Cooker+Cookbook&hs.x=17&hs.y=12&hs=Submit

Offline saltydad

« Reply #191: January 10, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
Could be a few types. I've posted your question in the banana forum. Some members live in that area and could probably tell us exactly which type. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #192: January 10, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
Could be a few types. I've posted your question in the banana forum. Some members live in that area and could probably tell us exactly which type. I'll keep you posted.

I think we have some pictures, I'll try to dig them up, that should help. The location was at southern west coast, Marina Ballena. They just grew wild on the property.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #193: January 10, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
Don't want to totally derail this thread. Yeah, some are outside year round, others are brought into the house for the winter. If still interested, send me a PM to discuss further.

Dude, it's interesting! Start a thread :)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #194: January 10, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
Dude, it's interesting! Start a thread :)
I've been bugging him via PM, but if others are interested, he should totally make a Banana thread!

This "Pho" stuff looks amazing.  I've gotta try it if I could ever find it anywhere.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #195: January 10, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
I've been bugging him via PM, but if others are interested, he should totally make a Banana thread!

This "Pho" stuff looks amazing.  I've gotta try it if I could ever find it anywhere.

We've got two votes here from ATBC and I for the banana thread.

Pho 75 in Arlington is decent, but Pho 14 in Columbia Heights is the bomb. They have awesome beef skewers and pho. To. Die. For.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #196: January 10, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »
A member of our forum, Lorax (Beth) lives in Ecuador. She's the editor of our Journal. Here's her reply:

Short, fat, sweet, creamy bananas in South and Central America usually belong to the Sucrier subgroup. What I'd call "Oritos."

From The Food World.com:
'Orito,’ meaning ‘little gold’, is the Ecuadorian name for what in Europe are generally known as ‘baby bananas’. Because the orito originated Ecuador it is less vulnerable to disease than the mainstream banana varieties developed in laboratories. Oké oritos are grown organically and have a sweeter, more intense flavour and firmer flesh than ordinary bananas. Oritos are best eaten when they are very ripe, a golden yellow colour freckled with brown spots.

A pic from Lorax:

The 'Oritos' are in the center.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #197: January 10, 2010, 11:03:20 PM »

I never thought I could love raw tripe soup that much. Any place worth a damn gives you a plate with fresh herbs, jalapenos, and limes. I always liberally add hoisin sauce. I need to try Pho 75 and this Columbia Heights joint to see if anything measures up to Vietnamtown in Houston.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #198: January 11, 2010, 09:44:46 AM »
The shape looks right, but how big do you think they are? These bananas we had weren't 'mini' like the 'baby bananas' I've seen at Whole Paycheck sometimes. These are about the size of a normal industrial banana, length anyway.

Offline NatsNut

• pink caps suck
« Reply #199: January 14, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
Salty, there is a banana that we had last time we were in Costa Rica, they grew right where we were staying and the owner of the casita would bring us some everyday, along with whatever bread/cookie/etc. that he had used them to cook. These guys were a little shorter, fatter, and straighter than what we get here. They were sweet with a creamy texture.

hee hee.  The Costa Ricans or the bananas?