Author Topic: YouTube embedding  (Read 4987 times)

Offline RL04

YouTube embedding
« Topic Start: June 09, 2011, 05:59:06 PM »
Is there a way to embed videos?

I have asked The Chief to allow YouTube tags [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE], which is common in almost every other online forum, and his response was negative.

I believe the concern is the introduction of malware.

But, as we all know, may other fora use it.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: YouTube embedding
« Reply #1: June 09, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
Links work fine.  Keep crappy flash junk out of my forum experience.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: June 09, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
Links work fine.  Keep crappy flash junk out of my forum experience.

Youtube is Java, no?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #3: June 09, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
No.

Offline RL04

« Reply #4: June 09, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »
Correct, YouTube uses Adobe Flash Player to play FLV files.

There have been a million Flash Player vulnerabilities in the NIST database, but I don't know any specific attack vector used through forum imbedding.

I'm not saying there aren't any.   I just don't follow that stuff that closely.

My philosophy is patch and take your chances.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: June 10, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
My position on youtube embedding is that it (potentially) slows down page loads as well as opening up attack vectors.  Is the risk minimal?  Perhaps.  But personally I find any risk unacceptable due to the fact that I just think embedded videos are annoying.  What's so wrong with clicking a link and opening the video in a new tab/window?

That said, if everyone would like, I'll hold a poll on the matter, and if there is a large enough demand for it, I will see what I can come up with.  It probably wouldn't be *too* difficult, but only youtube would be supported as I'm not interested in hacking together enough code to suport all the other one-offs.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #6: June 10, 2011, 03:00:09 PM »
It's not that difficult to just click on the links that people post here from youtube.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #7: June 10, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
It's not that difficult to just click on the links that people post here from youtube.

Also it allows for funnier jokes and rickrolls.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: June 10, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »
But personally I find any risk unacceptable due to the fact that I just think embedded videos are annoying. 

You're da Chief.  I'm wit chew on dis.    I don't need it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #9: June 10, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »
Also it allows for funnier jokes and rickrolls.

QFT (except at least one jerk rickrolled me here in the past :?)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #10: June 10, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »

It wasn't me.   I don't know what a "rickroll" is.   :)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #11: June 10, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »
It wasn't me.   I don't know what a "rickroll" is.   :)

It's a cool new dance move:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #12: June 10, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »

I use Greasemonkey and the script called "Videoembed." Works well.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #13: June 10, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I use Greasemonkey and the script called "Videoembed." Works well.
I was going to mention that there was probably a Greasemonkey script out there to do it.  Then people who want it can have it, and everyone else can have a good board :P

Offline blue911

« Reply #14: June 10, 2011, 07:41:44 PM »

It was probably me.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: June 10, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
It's a cool new dance move:

Know what?   I was a DJ and I remember playin' his stuff but for the life of me, I can't remember his last name.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #16: June 10, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »
I'm extremely in favor of this. It is pretty much standard on forums these days. It simplifies and consolidates browsing. If you wanted to post a series of scouting videos, it's pretty silly to have a bunch of links that open in another window/tab when you could view them all in thread.

Links work fine.  Keep crappy flash junk out of my forum experience.

Honestly, I don't click on random Youtube links at work unless there's an explanation of what it is. Which you don't get from a URL, but you would get from an embedded video. I skip over tons of youtube links on this site as a consequence.

I don't see how an embedded video is more of a security risk than a youtube link that people click on, maybe someone can school me on that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #17: June 10, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
Astley, or something like that?
Know what?   I was a DJ and I remember playin' his stuff but for the life of me, I can't remember his last name.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: June 10, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
Astley, or something like that?

Yeah, yeah ... that's it.    Thanks Gburg.   BTW, I'm thinkin' about riding my MC up that way tomorrow.   If ya see me, honk.   I'll be the old white guy on a HD.   LOL

Offline The Chief

« Reply #19: July 01, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
since we can't embed videos for whatever reason.

This is a bit of a sore spot with me.  People have been griping about the lack of embedded video for a while now without any understanding of how time-consuming/tedious it is for me to safely implement something like that in a way that doesn't force it upon people who don't want it.  I'm not a professional coder, nor is the forum my full-time job (wouldn't that be nice?), so I'd have to muddle through implementing something like this.  During the season, uptime and stability are the foremost concerns, not adding video thumbnails for people who are too lazy/afraid to click a link (nothing personal :P )

For what it's worth, I'm looking into some upgrades this offseason, so embedded video options are among the things being considered.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #20: July 01, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
FWIW, I am totally okay with not having embedded video, as it can be very distracting and slow down page loading tremendously.  But I understand if it's a feature some people want.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #21: July 01, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
FWIW, I am totally okay with not having embedded video, as it can be very distracting and slow down page loading tremendously.  But I understand if it's a feature some people want.

Right, this is my personal feeling on the matter as well, but I'm not opposed to giving people the option.  It has to remain an option, though, not a mandatory thing, which is why I don't want to half-ass it mid-season.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #22: July 01, 2011, 10:17:50 AM »

Same here.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #23: July 01, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »
also IIRC, embedded videos can increase the likelihood of viruses.

chief you're doing a great job :thumbs:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #24: July 01, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »
This is a bit of a sore spot with me.  People have been griping about the lack of embedded video for a while now without any understanding of how time-consuming/tedious it is for me to safely implement something like that in a way that doesn't force it upon people who don't want it.  I'm not a professional coder, nor is the forum my full-time job (wouldn't that be nice?), so I'd have to muddle through implementing something like this.  During the season, uptime and stability are the foremost concerns, not adding video thumbnails for people who are too lazy/afraid to click a link (nothing personal :P )

Woah, my bad, I didn't think about time considerations and difficulty of the upgrade. I certainly didn't mean to understate the job that you do for us and the greater Nats community by maintaining these boards. In hindsight, my comment was snarky and out of place.

Good to hear you're working on finding a solution that would work for both schools of thought on videos.