Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16168 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #175: February 27, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
Just go barefoot and skip the toe shoes.

I know, it's hard to do in the winter. I only manage about half my weekly mileage barefoot... tonight looks like an excellent night.

i'm not running barefoot on sidewalks.  :)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #176: February 27, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
i'm not running barefoot on sidewalks.  :)

You shouldn't be running in toe shoes on sidewalks either. Not at first anyway.

I use mine on grass hills or trails and usually only to do sprints. I also use them to work out in the gym, but thats for a different reason.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #177: February 27, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
Had some lower back problems that sidelined me for a bit. Got a couple runs in last weekend and a great little one in today. What great weather! I'm pumped that days are now long enough to run after work without cutting out early.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #178: February 27, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
There are so many opinions on this - the new, prevalent one seems to be that the only way to really learn the stride is to take your shoes off and run on smooth pavement - even the Vibram Five Finger site says this now.

The thinking is that if you run on soft surfaces, you will not learn to midfoot strike.

I dunno. I think soft surfaces teach you to pick your knees up, which is key. Hard surfaces teach you to run gently. Frankly, i just like it all. Did three miles barefoot tonight and felt like I could have doubled that. It's so much nicer now that it's warmer and the bottom of my feets aren't cold hardened. Just a great run tonight.

There are a million options for barefoot-style shoes now. Check some of them out. Altra, Vivobarefoot, Merrell, innov-8, etc.

I use mine on grass hills or trails and usually only to do sprints. I also use them to work out in the gym, but thats for a different reason.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #179: February 27, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
Couch-to-5K might be a perfect time to learn barefoot-style running.
i started a couch-to-5k program today to get ready for a  5k in April.  First run went well, 5 minute brisk walk then 60 second run / 90 second walk, alternating for 20 minutes.

now might be a good time to get those toe-shoes.

Online imref

« Reply #180: February 27, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »

this is getting way too complicated, maybe it's best to stick with regular running shoes?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #181: February 27, 2012, 09:14:23 PM »
Completely up to you. I do it because I'm 52, and there's no way I'd be running anymore if I wasn't doing it barefoot-style. Joints don't ache at all anymore. My muscles hurt from time to time and in weird ways, but muscles recover. Joints don't after a while.

Plus it just feels great.

Couch-2-5K could be a great way to start. You can always go back to standard shoes.

this is getting way too complicated, maybe it's best to stick with regular running shoes?

Online imref

« Reply #182: February 27, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
Completely up to you. I do it because I'm 52, and there's no way I'd be running anymore if I wasn't doing it barefoot-style. Joints don't ache at all anymore. My muscles hurt from time to time and in weird ways, but muscles recover. Joints don't after a while.

Plus it just feels great.

Couch-2-5K could be a great way to start. You can always go back to standard shoes.

are you running actual barefoot or barefoot "style" with the toe shoes?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #183: February 28, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
I run over the the park in barefoot-style shoes (Vivobarefoot NEOs, which I like, but buy them from Zappos, because they run very large and Zappos ships both ways free). That's a quarter mile or so. I wear shoes here because I have to run on a grassy shoulder which is often loaded with cans that the mowers have run over and shredded into little sharp pieces of aluminum, which are hidden in the grass. I'd do it without shoes, but my wife made me promise.

I run my 3-5 miles barefoot (tuck my shoes under the bench).

The surface at the park is better than chip-seal, but not as much fun as smooth, fresh pavement. It's old pavement, with large aggregate.

There is little comparison between running in barefoot-style shoes and running barefoot. The latter is so much better. I'd say it's like the difference between wearing "protection" and not, but that would be just a crazy thing to say.

are you running actual barefoot or barefoot "style" with the toe shoes?

Online imref

« Reply #184: March 07, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
I'm considering these from REI.

Have been plagued to varying degrees with plantar fasciitus since my 81 mile+ backpacking expedition to N.M. this past summer, and thinking that the barefoot style might be a remedy.

Anyone else tried them?  They get rave reviews from those who have tried them.

Vibram fivefingers bikila running shoes.

http://www.rei.com/product/811206/vibram-fivefingers-bikila-ls-running-shoes-mens

(Image removed from quote.)

Tom, did you ever get them?  I was at a running store today and they recommended those same shoes but unfortunately they didn't have any and apparently the can't be special ordered.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #185: March 07, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »
I don't even understand how you can run without hitting on your heel.

All the barefoot people:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #186: March 07, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
Your heel touches the ground, but after your forefoot does. This guy has a good stride. Note that the ankle lands behind the knee. You get power and speed through knee movement. Bringing your knee forward/up lifts your back foot off the ground.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #187: March 07, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
Looks like it would be hell on my bad achilles.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #188: March 07, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
No question. At least for a while.

Looks like it would be hell on my bad achilles.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #189: March 07, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
It destroyed shins and calves to start, but my terrible knees are much better

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #190: March 07, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
My calves are still adjusting a year later. :)
It destroyed shins and calves to start, but my terrible knees are much better

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #191: March 07, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
Tom, did you ever get them?  I was at a running store today and they recommended those same shoes but unfortunately they didn't have any and apparently the can't be special ordered.

Yes, I did.  I haven't really run much in them - once walked a 2 or 2.5 with short runs interspersed, but I was sore for a week or so after that.  I really like them in the gym, though.  Mundane exercises like stairclimber or squats feel much better with the stable toes-engaged base.  Looking forward to warm weather and more weekend time to spend outdoors in them.

Online imref

« Reply #192: March 07, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »
the guy at the running store said to try using them once or twice a week for very short runs (1/4 mile or so) while still running in normal shoes on other days, and over time gradually switch off to the five-toes.   He did say people don't like running in them in the winter.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #193: March 07, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
Hmmmm.  Supposed to have Jury Duty tomorrow but got released so I'm off.    Might do my run around 9 AM.   Ought to be a lovely thing ... with shoes.   :)

Online imref

« Reply #194: March 22, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
just about through week 3 of couch-to-5k (couldn't run during the actual week 3 due to travel and being sick).  This week was 5 min walk, 90 sec run, 90 sec walk, 3 min run, 3 min walk, and another 90-90-3-3. 

Legs are pretty achy but I'm feeling good.  I never did buy the 5-toe shoes, the local store was out of stock on my size and I haven't been able to get to any other place that has them just yet.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #195: March 23, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »
after a week in Philly on business and treadmill-only running, it felt great to get out for a couple miles in the fresh air tonight.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #196: March 24, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
after a week in Philly on business and treadmill-only running, it felt great to get out for a couple miles in the fresh air tonight.

Hell yeah.  I'm about to buy some of those Vibrams for the office.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #197: April 01, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
Damn. I guess in one sense he went out doing what he loved to do, and there might not be a better way to go. But 58 is too young for the Caballo Blanco.

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_20298068/micah-true-boulder-ultrarunner-search-new-mexico

Online imref

« Reply #198: April 01, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
i've missed a week now, ugh.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #199: April 01, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
i've missed a week now, ugh.

Just got in from my run.   Don't know how old you are but you'll find the older you get, the longer it takes to get back to your pre-break distance/time (ain't rocket science LOL).    Where I'm at in life, a week is a l-o-o-o-n-n-n-g time to take off.