Author Topic: Send Bryce Down Until He Grows Up  (Read 11724 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Offline nickmiser91

Re: Send Bryce Down Until He Grows Up
« Reply #1: August 26, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
Yea... I agree.  He came up in May/June and provided a needed spark.  Since then he's been slumping without showing me as a fan much growth.  I feel like the best thing you could do is move him down to 6 or 7 in the line up where he isn't needed as much to get on base so the pressure of that would be a little lighter for him.  He's too much in focus up there in the 2 spot.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: August 26, 2012, 10:44:09 PM »
Who would you replace him with?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: August 26, 2012, 11:05:14 PM »
Who would you replace him with?

Roger Bernadina and Corey Brown

I kind of agree but I hate to. It's one thing to smash a bat once out of frustration. But this becoming a weekly occurrence. At the very least, move him down. Werth and Lombo can handle the top of the lineup

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #4: August 26, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »
The behavior really isn't acceptable. It was the funny the first couple times, but now it is ridiculous. I think Bryce Harper is a good person off the field, but on it he is the anti-Ryan Zimmerman.

I think the team is prepared to handle him struggling at the plate, but if he acts like a butt hurt 19 year old when things go badly he'll wear on them.

Love Bryce, but I think he is cracking under the pressure. No judgement, because I am not much older than him and I doubt I could handle the pressure if I was dropped into a playoff race tomorrow.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #5: August 26, 2012, 11:06:33 PM »
Roger Bernadina and Corey Brown

I kind of agree but I hate to. It's one thing to smash a bat once out of frustration. But this becoming a weekly occurrence. At the very least, move him down. Werth and Lombo can handle the top of the lineup
I feel bad for him right now. Drop him yesterday. Put him in the #7 hole and let him hack away down there. Teams are going after him right now because no one wants to have Zimmerman up with a man on base.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #6: August 26, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »
Bryce Harper has matured. Earlier, he was swinging at every breaking ball low and outside. Now, he takes the first three outside breaking balls for a 3-0 count, then fouls off a marginal strike to bring the count to 3-1, then swings at the 3-1 changeup low.

Never seen a guy turn so many 3-0 counts into outs as I've seen Bryce Harper do.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #7: August 26, 2012, 11:21:08 PM »
Maybe start Moore and Bernadina most of the time; let Harper look and learn. Because

- There isn't enough of a Syracuse season to send Harper down
- Corey Brown looks like a fundamentally weird hitter. I don't like the way he wiggles the battle and shifts his feet as the pitcher throws. (My ideal is the way Lombo and Moore hit. I was taught to flatten my elbow the way Lombo does...so he get's my unscientific approval). If somebody can explain what Brown is trying to do, I'll listen.
- Unless Desmond or Morse go on the DL, they need Harper at least on the bench for the next week.

Livo is signed with the Brewers. If not, I would hire Livo just to throw to Harper every day. All the soft breaking stuff, the off-balance unexpected spots, the tailing away stuff that baffles Harper.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #8: August 26, 2012, 11:29:17 PM »
Pence looks fundamentally weird too.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #9: August 27, 2012, 12:19:46 AM »
Livo is signed with the Brewers. If not, I would hire Livo just to throw to Harper every day. All the soft breaking stuff, the off-balance unexpected spots, the tailing away stuff that baffles Harper.

Sign him and Jamie Moyer so he has a soft lefty to learn from.  Give Harper TONS of simulated games to learn from.

If the team does hold on and makes the playoffs, not the one game win or go home play in, I think Bryce might be a bench bat or defensive replacement with Bernadina taking the majority of starts in CF.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #10: August 27, 2012, 07:11:55 AM »

His antics are embarassing to the franchise and the fan base.  19 or not, he needs to handle himself better than he has.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: August 27, 2012, 08:09:33 AM »
He was brought up in a panic when the offense was floundering,  and almost definitely rushed.  I would vote for leaving him up this year,  and if they white whale appears this off season,  leave him in the minors next year maturing and not accumulating service time

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #12: August 27, 2012, 10:57:43 AM »
there is basically no reason left for T. Moore to not start every game somewhere on the field

Offline Slateman

« Reply #13: August 27, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »
there is basically no reason left for T. Moore to not start every game somewhere on the field

Except Davey really doesn't like that guy

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #14: August 27, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »
PA ... no.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

Offline spit

« Reply #16: August 27, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »
Honestly? I'm tired of the "Ohhh, he's NINETEEN, it's okay" bullcrap.

He's been playing with people older than him his whole life. Elevating his maturity level should have been a priority too.

When I was 19 I was a bonehead but still way too old to throw temper tantrums.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #17: August 27, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: August 27, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
Made this point in the "Bryce Harper Compendium" thread:

Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #1451: Today at 08:52:38 AM »

It is kind of amazing to compare Bryce's age 19 season to A-Rod's.  A-Rod was brought up in early May, held SS until mid-August, then Pinnella (I think he was the manager) benched him in favor of Luis Sojo. He had spot duty in the rest of August and September.  After a good May, his slash line next peaked on 8/4 at .256 / .275 / .453. 
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=rodrial01&t=b&year=1995

Benching him did not do much to harm him in the next year, when he was runner up for MVP.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #19: August 27, 2012, 01:56:21 PM »
Made this point in the "Bryce Harper Compendium" thread:

The benching didn't seem to hurt him one bit.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #20: August 27, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »
His antics are embarassing to the franchise and the fan base.  19 or not, he needs to handle himself better than he has.

Yes.

Maybe he will learn quickest by sitting a lot and listening to older players. In September.

(On Pence and Corey Brown's hitting: Pence looks weird but he has been a major-league all-star, and Brown hits well in AAA. I just don' t understand how they do it with all that movement!)

Offline RL04

« Reply #21: August 27, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »
Can't send Bryce back down to minors.

He's a Boras client.

And we now know who runs the ship around here.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #22: August 27, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
Can't send Bryce back down to minors.

He's a Boras client.

Why is Boras relevant to the issue of sending him down?

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #23: August 27, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
oh grow up.

You learn to play the game by playing the game, let him play the game and quit worrying about how many batting helmets or bats he buys or how big of a fine he's racked up in the club house.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #24: August 27, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »

You learn to play the game by playing the game

That what the minor league system is for.    You don't "learn to play the game" at the major league level.