Author Topic: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2  (Read 53854 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Nationals @ Mets, Game 2
« Reply #425: September 10, 2008, 11:19:48 PM »
ouch. Zimmerman just said that "There's no place for those kind of antics in this game" when being asked a question about Dukes. He said that it's really not his place to answer that question but that Dukes is a very emotional guy and has a lot to learn. He also said Dukes showed how talented he is tonight.

I don't think Dukes is on good terms with everyone in the clubhouse. I think he ruffles some of the guys the wrong way.

I really have no problem with what Zim said and neither should Dukes.  If he was really, really pissed he would've charged Pelfrey when he did get hit.  I genuinely feel that Dukes knows he overreacted when he hit the homer and almost got hit the pitch. 

And Zim is the leader of the team - appointed by the think tank and Manny (not us) - so he has that freedom to speak.  He wasn't throwing him under the bus, he made one brief comment on the situation but said it wasn't his to say and that Dukes is very talented. 

I'm sure Dukes doesn't get along with everyone, but for the most part he's done a decent job in keeping his head on straight and keeping his name out of the negative headlines.  It's a long season, tempers will flare between teammates, player vs. opposing player, player vs. umpire, player vs. manager and hell even player vs. fan. 

It's subsiding his anger/emotions that will be key.

MrMadison

« Reply #426: September 10, 2008, 11:31:27 PM »
aww snap, Zimmerman spoke out against the Sacred Dukes.

now AZ has to change his name.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #427: September 11, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »
I really have no problem with what Zim said and neither should Dukes.  If he was really, really pissed he would've charged Pelfrey when he did get hit.  I genuinely feel that Dukes knows he overreacted when he hit the homer and almost got hit the pitch. 

And Zim is the leader of the team - appointed by the think tank and Manny (not us) - so he has that freedom to speak.  He wasn't throwing him under the bus, he made one brief comment on the situation but said it wasn't his to say and that Dukes is very talented. 

I'm sure Dukes doesn't get along with everyone, but for the most part he's done a decent job in keeping his head on straight and keeping his name out of the negative headlines.  It's a long season, tempers will flare between teammates, player vs. opposing player, player vs. umpire, player vs. manager and hell even player vs. fan. 

It's subsiding his anger/emotions that will be key.

I have no issue with what RZ said, but I do think it is better said behind closed doors. I would hope that Dukes would get backed up a little more by his team mates and manager, although I think Acta was more diplomatic. Dukes is a football player at heart, and I kind of like that he shows this level of passion. He does need to stay within himself, but that is something that he should get from the other players on the team. It would be easier for RZ to get that point across to him by handling this in private, while publicly backing him up a little more. (Just my take on how I'd like to see it handled.) I think Dukes is genuinely well liked and appreciated.''

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #428: September 11, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »
I think that is exactly the case. Seriously. Dude, everyone here, St. Claire, the Nats' announcers, EVERYONE, pleaded with Luis to go back to throwing his great low 90s fastball that he lived on for years but he would not want to throw anything but hanging sliders and change ups. Now look at him. He didn't throw anything but fastballs the last two nights. It's bull**** and makes me sick. Players piss on this organization while they are here and then go elsewhere and decide to perform. Ayala was one of the bottom 3 relievers in ALL OF BASEBALL while he was here and now he's a closer for a 1st Place Team. It's bull**** and I can't stand it. Ayala is the definition of scum bag trash.

While it is hard to imagine a player intentially tanking, Ayala is on my crap list because of everything you point out. He refused the instruction he was getting to stick with his sinking FB 80% of the time. And while one could argue he had lost confidence, it is known that he was not happy about not getting the closer job after Chad went down and then after Rauch was traded. So part of me blames his own whining attitude. He's paid a lot of money to be a relief pitcher. If he had actually pitched well the way he is capable of, he would have had a lot of advocates for the closer role. But instead, he sulked, got sloppy, and cost us a lot of games.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #429: September 11, 2008, 09:41:55 AM »
aww snap, Zimmerman spoke out against the Sacred Dukes.

now AZ has to change his name.
ROFLMAO
I have no issue with what RZ said, but I do think it is better said behind closed doors.
I wholeheartedly agree.  Calling out a fellow player in front of the media is kind of excessive, IMO.  It's just not the right forum.

BTW, I love the Dukes quote in your sig.  He's a really smart ballplayer, that kid.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #430: September 11, 2008, 10:40:20 AM »
I have no issue with what RZ said, but I do think it is better said behind closed doors. I would hope that Dukes would get backed up a little more by his team mates and manager, although I think Acta was more diplomatic. Dukes is a football player at heart, and I kind of like that he shows this level of passion. He does need to stay within himself, but that is something that he should get from the other players on the team. It would be easier for RZ to get that point across to him by handling this in private, while publicly backing him up a little more. (Just my take on how I'd like to see it handled.) I think Dukes is genuinely well liked and appreciated.''

Looking at the full text from Zimmerman I am completley 110% behind what he said.  He mentioned "I don't know if there is a place for that in baseball" which is better than just saying "there is no place."  Then he moved on to a subject of how talented Dukes is and that they need him.  I think Zim did the right thing to say he acknowledges it, but nobody wants to talk about it.

I agree, I thought Acta would be a little harder.  And Milledge stuck up for Dukes, seeing how he got hit by a couple pitches last weekend and almost started something. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #431: September 11, 2008, 04:51:03 PM »
I wish Manny were giving Montz more of a shot. Nieves is obviously nothing more than an average backup, and if you really think Luke is a "late bloomer" then see what he can do playing every day.

Plus, I said he was going to get his first major league hit this week, and if he doesn't play at all.... :?