Author Topic: Nats fanbase  (Read 5399 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Nats fanbase
« Reply #50: October 15, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »
St. Louis is definitely a city where people tend to stay. When you just meet someone the popular saying in st. Louis is, where did you go to high school. That's just how we identify what part of St. Louis you're from. Once you get out of the city the suburbs are actually really nice.  We also draw from quite a few states, Iowa, southern Illinois,  Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas. The only team i can think about that is around these states are the braves.  Unlike the east coast, the cardinals actually have a pretty big following on the west coast. Didn't see many Cards fans at the games in Washington. But it is hard with the Nationals red and red towels. Which actually looked neat on TV, wish the cards would do red towels.

of course, the Cards were the furthest west and furthest south team until the Dodgers and Giants moved.  KMOX had that incredible signal that covered the country. I have a friend who followed the Cards in Vermont.  They are one of the great national franchises.  I'd probably put them and the the Dodgers as the top names in the NL.  More than the Cubs. The Cubs are more a local phenomenon in a huge local market, I think.  About the longest gap they've gone without winning a World Series was from the Herzog team to 2006 - a bit over 20 years.