Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97517 times)

Offline saltydad

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1475: May 23, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
My cousin was the same way. He later was diagnosed with a severe case of OCD. "Out, out, damn spot!" I'm more like you and like America- mix up all the ingredients. Usually comes out better.

The missus practices culinary apartheid as well...she might as well be presiding over checkpoint charlie with barbed wire and floodlights when it comes to salad and rice touching.  She looks like she just swallowed a toad when I mix up a big plate of stuff in a restaurant. 

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1476: May 24, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »
My cousin was the same way. He later was diagnosed with a severe case of OCD. "Out, out, damn spot!" I'm more like you and like America- mix up all the ingredients. Usually comes out better.

Catergorizing the fridge by continent does not make me racist.  :lol:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1477: May 24, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
So this exists...

and it's bodacious!  Really kind of weird to bite into, but god dammit.  PORTABLE.  BACON.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1478: May 24, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
How is it nutritionally?  It looks damn good.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1479: May 24, 2012, 06:47:08 PM »
How is it nutritionally?  It looks damn good.

Terrible :lol:  150 calories per 1 oz serving.  And it is good.  I found an online shop that also makes it and sells a bunch of different flavors like cajun, jalapeno, and maple.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #1480: May 24, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
Terrible :lol:  150 calories per 1 oz serving.  And it is good.  I found an online shop that also makes it and sells a bunch of different flavors like cajun, jalapeno, and maple.

I love jerky. MMMmmmmm.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1481: May 24, 2012, 06:56:03 PM »

What's the protein and fat like?  I had to stop buying the "Pounder" of jerky at work. I'd eat the entire bag (16oz) in a day if I wasnt careful.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1482: May 24, 2012, 06:58:35 PM »
150 calories, 12g fat (6 sat), 0 carb, 7g protein.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1483: May 24, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »
Ok, that's bad. ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1484: May 25, 2012, 10:32:09 AM »
Isn't a pound of jerky the dehydrated equivalent of a few Strasburgers?

What's the protein and fat like?  I had to stop buying the "Pounder" of jerky at work. I'd eat the entire bag (16oz) in a day if I wasnt careful.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1485: May 25, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Isn't a pound of jerky the dehydrated equivalent of a few Strasburgers?

Jerky is super lean though. For 16oz there's probably only 20g of fat in it and 256g of protein.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1486: May 25, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Jerky is pretty awesome. I actually marinated some meat last night and I have it drying now on my dehydrator. For about $7 I can get 1-1.5lbs worth of jerky, which is so freaking sweet. I got this dehydrator over Christmas and it has been amazing. I've been able to dry countless pounds of meat, but it also does really well with fruit, flowers, whatever you want dehydrated. Dehydrated pineapple is the freaking best.

If you're willing to put in the time and mess with your own flavorings, then getting your own dehydrator and making your own jerky is more than worth it.

Though I wonder if I could pull off bacon jerky... that would be so terrible for you though.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1487: May 25, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
you can dehydrator one out of a box fan and some pleated paper filters - via Alton Brown:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1488: May 25, 2012, 03:16:14 PM »
Went to Good Stuff Eatery again here in the Danger Zone with some friends last night and can now give them a final grade - D.  After cycling 14 miles and lifting out for 40 minutes I was beyond starved and went with the Smokehouse cheeseburger, a small fries and Oreo shake. The wait was short and I had high hopes when I saw their mayo-based saucebar of Mango, Old Bay, Chipotle, and Sriracha sauces.  Here's what was in the bag:

I knew this was trouble when I opened the fry sack and discovered damp, soggy, cold "fries" and a tiny slider burger I figured "hey, I paid $20 for this, I'm eating it.". The fries were terrible, just absolute garbage. Maybe I'm just used to crispy baked fries and the waffle goodness from Chick-fil-a but these were just like wet yarn.  The sauces, on the other hand, were really good, really, really good, especially the mango sauce.

When I finally got to the burger I thought there had to have been a mistake. First of all the bun felt like it was soaked in grease and the size of a slider bun. When I went to put some sauce on the burger there was a sad little burger patty about the size of a slider staring back at me.  This wouldn't have been a problem if the thing wasn't $7. Still, I gave it a go and with enough of the sauce finished it off.  The shake was ok, definitely not werth $6. I left feeling ripped off, disappointed, and still hungry. I'll probably go back just for the sauce, but otherwise I'll passn.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1489: May 25, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »
Jack Links has Cholula jerky now too :az:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1490: May 25, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
So much fat in bacon... I don't know if drying it would preserve it.
Jerky is pretty awesome. I actually marinated some meat last night and I have it drying now on my dehydrator. For about $7 I can get 1-1.5lbs worth of jerky, which is so freaking sweet. I got this dehydrator over Christmas and it has been amazing. I've been able to dry countless pounds of meat, but it also does really well with fruit, flowers, whatever you want dehydrated. Dehydrated pineapple is the freaking best.

If you're willing to put in the time and mess with your own flavorings, then getting your own dehydrator and making your own jerky is more than worth it.

Though I wonder if I could pull off bacon jerky... that would be so terrible for you though.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1491: May 25, 2012, 06:45:06 PM »
I'm not sure how Wild Bills and other companies do it, but it looks and tastes pretty much like thick slices of bacon.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1492: May 25, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »
Went to Good Stuff Eatery again here in the Danger Zone with some friends last night and can now give them a final grade - D.

Wow, totally disagree.

Although they are a freaking rip-off, so I sort of get your point.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1493: May 25, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »
This is the second time I've had Good Stuff and the fries were even werse the second time.  I get the feeling they keep their fries in a steam drawer instead of cooking them fresh as ordered. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1494: May 25, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »
cold fries are an abomination right up there with overcooked pasta.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1495: May 25, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
cold fries are an abomination right up there with overcooked pasta.

And food all mixed together and touching.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1496: May 25, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »
freaking celebrity chefs. can cook crap and people will still go eat it

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1497: May 25, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »
This is the second time I've had Good Stuff and the fries were even werse the second time.  I get the feeling they keep their fries in a steam drawer instead of cooking them fresh as ordered. 

I get the whole soggy thing, but the fries taste really good to me.  It's like a better version of Five Guys.

They've never been cold when I've ordered them.  Then again, I always go to the Capitol Hill location.  Maybe they don't have their crap together at the NoVa one.

Also, the burger I get is small too, but it's double-pattied so it's very filling.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1498: May 25, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
They looked burnt in the pic MDS posted.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1499: May 25, 2012, 08:04:42 PM »
freaking celebrity chefs. can cook crap and people will still go eat it

Yeah, I saw the pic of the dude responsible for that abortion and could only think "douchebag".  The burger wasn't bad, but you can get a better and cheaper burger (and fries) at Wendy's.  The sauces are REALLY good though.