Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 42536 times)

Offline PC

Re: Google Thread
« Reply #675: July 29, 2011, 11:11:12 AM »
GMail > Any Web App Microsoft will ever come up with.

NOT by a long shot!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #676: July 29, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »

The irony of ironies is that this is a youtube video.  :)

I love a good :stir: as much as the next guy but you're doing it wrong.  Worrying about Gmail reading your email is missing the forest for the trees.  Everywhere you go on the internet is watching you and tracking you and trying to figure you out in order to better pitch ads to you.  What gmail does is completely automated anyway, so the scenario presented in that video is quite misleading.

Besides, if you want to :poke: Jmad, this one is better :mg:

Google+ traffic dropping already?

Offline PC

« Reply #677: July 29, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »
What gmail does is completely automated anyway, so the scenario presented in that video is quite misleading.

Actually, you're trusting Google that that's how the ad generation is done, that no human eye, no Gmail Man eye, ever lays on anyone's email.  I don't trust Google that much.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #678: July 29, 2011, 11:53:47 AM »
Actually, you're trusting Google that that's how the ad generation is done, that no human eye, no Gmail Man eye, ever lays on anyone's email.  I don't trust Google that much.

Shrug.  There are far more things to be paranoid about online than gmail.  Common sense should tell you not to send trade secrets or confidential information over gmail if you're really concerned about 3rd-party eyeballing.  And it's not like any other free webmail service is any better.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #679: July 29, 2011, 12:19:16 PM »
You could use your ISPs email or something like an apple account, but do you trust them any more than google?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #680: July 29, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »
You could use your ISPs email or something like an apple account, but do you trust them any more than google?

Email is one of the least secure methods of communication - your email could be intercepted at several stages before it gets to your recepient. What's the big deal? :shrug:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #681: July 29, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
Email is one of the least secure methods of communication - your email could be intercepted at several stages before it gets to your recepient. What's the big deal? :shrug:

PGP.

Can you use PGP with gmail?  Presumably not with the web client, but what about POP or IMAP?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #682: July 29, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
PGP

How many people even know what that means? How many people have the ability to deal with it even if I encrypt my messages. I'm not scared of the google robots is all I'm saying. If something is important and confidential, use the damn post office.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #683: July 29, 2011, 02:01:41 PM »
How many people even know what that means? How many people have the ability to deal with it even if I encrypt my messages. I'm not scared of the google robots is all I'm saying. If something is important and confidential, use the damn post office.

I was merely pointing out that there are relatively safe ways to use email.  I'm not sure what you'r eon about, but I don't think a tinfoil hat-wearer would trust the post office or any other physical courier more than they'd trust a well-encrypted electronic message, though.  Unless you sent the message via courier on an encrypted disk :P

"How many people even give a crap about what we're discussing to begin with?"

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #684: July 29, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
How many billions of pieces of email does google move in a day? I doubt that they're looking at my emails with eyeballs. Are they "reading" it and picking out keywords to send me an ad, oh, of course, yes. But I don't care.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #685: July 29, 2011, 05:45:36 PM »
I just realized I have 2 google music invites.  Does anyone want an invite?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #686: August 04, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
google+ is a great product, but they are freaking up big time.

pissing a lot of loyal google fanboys/girls off with this whole "use your full real name or we delete your profile" crap.

its a freakin social network. let people use whatever names they want.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #687: August 13, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »
google+ launches games.

and they did it right. everything regarding games is sectioned off in its own area. no annoying game spam in your main stream.

only a few games so far, no "ville" games yet.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #688: August 14, 2011, 12:23:27 AM »
google+ is completely dead, I never get a single message. Also Spotify killed google music.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #689: August 14, 2011, 12:38:02 AM »
google+ is completely dead, I never get a single message. Also Spotify killed google music.

In your opinion Spotify killed Google music. They're different programs. I use Google Music all the time. Spotify seems pretty cool, but I like being able to listen to my music on any computer.

The problem I have with Google+ is the lack of posting on "walls" like facebook. Posting on people's walls is aout 90% of my Facebook usage. 

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #690: August 14, 2011, 06:18:10 AM »
google+ is completely dead,

umm...no its not.

my stream is consistently full and active. are you even using it?

and by "using it" i mean actually posting and talking to people.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #691: August 14, 2011, 06:23:55 AM »

I don't do much on it anymore. I have 3 friends who post to it all the time and everyone else obviously just said "Oh, so this is Google+... uh... cool." and left.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #692: August 14, 2011, 07:23:19 AM »
I don't do much on it anymore. I have 3 friends who post to it all the time and everyone else obviously just said "Oh, so this is Google+... uh... cool." and left.

yes

I posted stuff and heard crickets so that was it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #693: August 14, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
I work in an office of 15 IT people and only 1 is using Google+  Everyone else has zero interest.  The one guy uses it very enthusiastically, but a small core of G+ fanatics will not make the service a long-term success.

Anecdotal evidence of course, just pitching in my 2¢

I had considered giving it a cursory look, but then they started the whole "real name" thing and that clinched it for me.  I would have stopped using it after the initial inspection anyway though, so no big deal really.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #694: August 14, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »
I haven't checked it in a couple days but of the 35 or so people in my circles, only 3-4 were actually posting on it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #695: August 14, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
I work in an office of 15 IT people and only 1 is using Google+  Everyone else has zero interest.

Yeah, I looked at it, quickly realized my parents and dumbazz friends from backwater Virginia would never figure it out and quickly gave up.  Facebook has become a roach motel but I'm stick with it until the custom profiles and auto-music/videos show up.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #696: August 14, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
the whole "real name" thing

What is that?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #697: August 14, 2011, 07:16:28 PM »
What is that?

not sure if rhetorical question

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #698: August 14, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
not sure if rhetorical question

I do not know what it is.
Nice meme appropriation

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #699: August 14, 2011, 07:27:40 PM »
If you want a google+ account, you have to sign up under your real name.  You can't be "Pickles the Clown" unless that's your name.