Author Topic: Soccer thread (2014/15)  (Read 102531 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Soccer thread (2012)
« Reply #375: August 10, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »
I'll still get my live Chelsea this season - at Stamford Bridge for the fourteenth consecutive season.

That sounds like such a winner.    Missus and I have been discussing going to the UK and catching a match.   For us, it wouldn't matter who.   She likes the Canaries colors  :roll:.    I was thinking something along the lines of Swansea/Cardiff and Norwich.   

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #376: August 10, 2013, 01:20:18 PM »
I have no idea who these teams are, I'll be tailgating with friends at RFK tonight and I'm thinking of selling my ticket and leaving when the game starts.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #377: August 10, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
I have no idea who these teams are, I'll be tailgating with friends at RFK tonight and I'm thinking of selling my ticket and leaving when the game starts.

Don't know where you park, but if it's Lot 7, that'll likely be inaccessible due to the obstacle course thing. Whole lot was fenced off when I passed the stadium on Thursday.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #378: August 10, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Don't know where you park, but if it's Lot 7, that'll likely be inaccessible due to the obstacle course thing. Whole lot was fenced off when I passed the stadium on Thursday.

Lot 8 for life

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #379: August 10, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Too bad QPR went down, but with Crystal Palace back up there are still a lot of games one can go to just by taking the London tube.   
That sounds like such a winner.    Missus and I have been discussing going to the UK and catching a match.   For us, it wouldn't matter who.   She likes the Canaries colors  :roll:.    I was thinking something along the lines of Swansea/Cardiff and Norwich.   

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #380: August 10, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
Man, the RFK traffic was a nightmare, probably due to Lot 7 being closed and Lot 8 already being crowded with obstacle course traffic. Dumb move by management to schedule both events on the same day. I was glad we were leaving when all that pregame traffic was arriving!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #381: August 11, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »
Too bad QPR went down, but with Crystal Palace back up there are still a lot of games one can go to just by taking the London tube.   

...or National Rail (Selhurst Park isn't on the Tube but gets frequent rail service at Norwood Junction, Selhurst and Thornton Heath statjons from Victoria). At Chelsea, the Tube station is Fulham Broadway (District line) which about a decade ago had a special exit/entrance added, used only at matchdays, to ease crowd flow.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #382: August 11, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
Man, the RFK traffic was a nightmare, probably due to Lot 7 being closed and Lot 8 already being crowded with obstacle course traffic. Dumb move by management to schedule both events on the same day. I was glad we were leaving when all that pregame traffic was arriving!

Announced attendance was 25,615 (about 55% of RFK capacity, and quite a bit more than DC United have latterly been drawing).

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #383: August 11, 2013, 11:09:46 AM »
We must have missed all the traffic, we got there around 6:30 and were surprised to find plenty of spaces still available by the river.  When we went in at 8 there were still open spaces next to my car where some kids had been playing soccer.

After the game we tried to get out through lot 7 but got scolded by a security guard and never found an exit.  So we returned to lot 8 and waited in the line to get out to the highway which took about ten minutes, although we did cut in front of a lot of cars coming back.

The real issue was that the exit from lot 8 to 395 is still closed, of course traffic is going to suck when you close the easiest exit. The idiot soccer fans on the Post blog are saying that Buzzards Point will solve the traffic issue, none of them have ever left driven the length of South Cap Street after a Nats game.  The only reason traffic will be better in their new stadium will be because the won't have nearly as many parking spaces available.

• babble on
« Reply #384: August 11, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
It was also a Metro $hitshow with long waits for buses as well.  Wound up walking down East Capitol to Union Station before finally managing to catch a cab.  The slightest preparation either above or below ground and Metro would have cleared out the crowd in 20 minutes.  Instead...chaos. 

But it was a good time nevertheless.  Bradley went a full 90, Totti probably 88, and a bunch of the big-named gerbil stuffers in Blue were in for most of the match.  A few people even booed Terry when he came off, although the crowd was probably 75-80% Chelski. 

We must have missed all the traffic, we got there around 6:30 and were surprised to find plenty of spaces still available by the river.  When we went in at 8 there were still open spaces next to my car where some kids had been playing soccer.

After the game we tried to get out through lot 7 but got scolded by a security guard and never found an exit.  So we returned to lot 8 and waited in the line to get out to the highway which took about ten minutes, although we did cut in front of a lot of cars coming back.

The real issue was that the exit from lot 8 to 395 is still closed, of course traffic is going to suck when you close the easiest exit. The idiot soccer fans on the Post blog are saying that Buzzards Point will solve the traffic issue, none of them have ever left driven the length of South Cap Street after a Nats game.  The only reason traffic will be better in their new stadium will be because the won't have nearly as many parking spaces available.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #385: August 11, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »
The traffic we saw was a massive backup on the Whitney Young Bridge. We were parked near the entrance from eastbound East Capitol Street and I figured the easiest way home was just over the bridge and down 295 to the new exit for I-695. Didn't want to screw around driving past tailgaters and the like. Traffic headed towards the stadium over the bridge was at a complete standstill.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #386: August 14, 2013, 02:29:33 PM »
Good matchup today. Pjanic, Begovic and Dzeko are all really good players.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #387: August 14, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »
Jozy :shock:

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #388: August 14, 2013, 09:54:35 PM »

I missed everything.  How did they look?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #389: August 14, 2013, 10:33:31 PM »

I saw your comment then watched a recording. I figured the eyepopping might have only been applicable to Jozy passing up that chance early on. Nice surpise

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #390: August 14, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »
I missed everything.  How did they look?

They were all over the place in the first half. Bradley and Jozy took over in the second half when they changed the formation. It was a good game.

I saw your comment then watched a recording. I figured the eyepopping might have only been applicable to Jozy passing up that chance early on. Nice surpise

I can't wait to see him in the Premier League. Adam Johnson, Sessegnon and Jozy should work well together.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #391: August 14, 2013, 11:29:09 PM »
Not just the quantity of the goals but the quality. None of them were tap-ins. Great first touches and finishes. Seemed like new dimensions to his game. The assist on Johnson's was a pretty good first touch and if Johnson didnt get it, Jozy might have finished himself. I think he has a nice turn on the defender in the first half when he found himself open at the six yard box and passed for some reason.

That new guy Johansson looks like he could be something. Was a threat almost every time he touched the ball. Could beat defenders on his own. Not timid at all for a first game

Offline mitlen

« Reply #392: August 16, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
This weeks EPL television schedule:

Date/Time                         Matchup                                          Network

Aug. 17, 7:45 a.m. ET    Liverpool vs. Stoke City                            NBCSN
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            Arsenal vs. Aston Villa                            NBCSN
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            Norwich vs. Everton                                    Extra Time
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            Sunderland vs. Fulham                            Extra Time
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            West Ham vs. Cardiff                            Extra Time
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            West Brom vs. Southampton                    Extra Time
Aug. 17, 12:30 p.m. ET    Swansea vs. Manchester United            NBC
Aug. 18, 8:30 a.m. ET    Crystal Palace vs. Tottenham                    NBCSN
Aug. 18, 11 a.m. ET            Chelsea vs. Hull City                                    NBCSN
Aug. 19, 2:30 p.m. ET    Manchester City vs. Newcastle                    NBCSN
Aug. 21, 2:30 p.m. ET    Chelsea vs. Aston Villa                            NBCSN

http://sportsnos.com/soccer/nbc-announces-first-three-weeks-of-epl-games/

• babble on
« Reply #393: August 16, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »
C'mon Arsenal!!

This weeks EPL television schedule:

Date/Time                         Matchup                                          Network

Aug. 17, 7:45 a.m. ET    Liverpool vs. Stoke City                            NBCSN
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            Arsenal vs. Aston Villa                            NBCSN
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            Norwich vs. Everton                                    Extra Time
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            Sunderland vs. Fulham                            Extra Time
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            West Ham vs. Cardiff                            Extra Time
Aug. 17, 10 a.m. ET            West Brom vs. Southampton                    Extra Time
Aug. 17, 12:30 p.m. ET    Swansea vs. Manchester United            NBC
Aug. 18, 8:30 a.m. ET    Crystal Palace vs. Tottenham                    NBCSN
Aug. 18, 11 a.m. ET            Chelsea vs. Hull City                                    NBCSN
Aug. 19, 2:30 p.m. ET    Manchester City vs. Newcastle                    NBCSN
Aug. 21, 2:30 p.m. ET    Chelsea vs. Aston Villa                            NBCSN

http://sportsnos.com/soccer/nbc-announces-first-three-weeks-of-epl-games/

• babble on
« Reply #394: August 16, 2013, 11:10:16 PM »
So...what is NBCSN?  I assume that it is hiding somewhere back in those scary cable channels with like "Tattoo Nightmares Dubuque".  DirectTV has some neighbourhoods that just ain't safe for a simple white boy. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #395: August 16, 2013, 11:31:38 PM »
So...what is NBCSN?  I assume that it is hiding somewhere back in those scary cable channels with like "Tattoo Nightmares Dubuque".  DirectTV has some neighbourhoods that just ain't safe for a simple white boy. 

It's 590 on FIOS HD.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #396: August 16, 2013, 11:36:46 PM »
DirectTV has some neighbourhoods that just ain't safe for a simple white boy. 

Or as Foreigner said, "Dirty White Boy".   :)

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #397: August 17, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »

It is 220 on DTV.  It is the old Versus channel.  Now it is NBCSports. 

Offline brec7

• Twitter
« Reply #398: August 17, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »
Hopefully for you footy fans NBCSN is easily accessible.   Here in Canada we're lucky, most packages have all the Sportsnet channels and TSN and there's 5 games on this weekend!  Plus the main NBC game but that might be one of the games on tv here anyway.

• babble on
« Reply #399: August 17, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »
Hmmm, Arsenal look just like they did back in May. 

That said, Giroud just scored  :D