Author Topic: Cordero and Rauch for Milledge?  (Read 2703 times)

Offline ronnynat

Cordero and Rauch for Milledge?
« Topic Start: July 02, 2007, 09:52:13 PM »
Found this on mlbtraderumors.com:

Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog says recent buzz in Washington, D.C. has linked the Mets to relievers Chad Cordero and Jon Rauch.  He also adds that Nationals manager and former Mets' third base coach Manny Acta is a fan of Lastings Milledge.

Milledge suffered from a sprained foot ligament for most of the season, but finally returned to the Triple A lineup on Friday.  It figures that many GMs will try to pry away the 22 year-old this month.  It's been said that Minaya wouldn't trade him for a rental, but Cordero and Rauch are both under contract for a while.  Both relievers have strikeout rates around seven per nine innings; the Mets might prefer someone more dominant.

Has Omar Minaya ever struck a deal with Jim Bowden?  Sure.  Back in June of '02, when Minaya was GM of the Expos and Bowden was in charge of the Reds.  Minaya sent lefty Bruce Chen to the Reds for reliever Jim Brower.

Offline mikehughes

Re: Cordero and Rauch for Milledge?
« Reply #1: July 02, 2007, 09:58:42 PM »
Personaly, id rather have Dukes over Milledge. But really I wouldnt mind which we got, they both are better than Nook Logan.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: July 02, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »
LOL
We'd be getting robbed.
Milledge has potential but there's no reason to trade away 2 future keystones of our BP (probably) for a maybe in OF.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: July 02, 2007, 10:11:02 PM »
I might do with if they'd throw in a young pitcher with at least a little bit of potential. We need to stock the farmsystem as much as possible. I've always had this hope that Cordero would be here like 15 years from now, going for records and all. Chances are, though, there are going to be A LOT of players coming up that could fill the role better....an intimidator of some kind.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: July 02, 2007, 10:17:49 PM »
Given the choices of the prospects that have been rumored to be on the Nats radar, I'd much rather the Nats get Dukes that Milledge. I believe a change of scenery would do the world of good for Dukes, but no matter where Milledge plays he'll be a pain in the ass.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: July 02, 2007, 10:52:40 PM »
We'd be getting robbed.

^^^Enough said

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #6: July 02, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »
LOL, too bad you're aren't prejudiced at all... hehehee

I'd rather have Dukes anyway, and he'd very likely cost a lot less

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #7: July 03, 2007, 12:19:55 AM »
Throw in Phillip Humber and John Maine and we can talk

« Reply #8: July 03, 2007, 12:22:24 AM »
A trade like that says:

Where is my veto stamp?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #9: July 03, 2007, 01:36:28 AM »
Where is my veto stamp?

On your desk, Mr. President, same place it always is... lol

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #10: July 03, 2007, 02:12:54 AM »
This would be a horrendous trade...maybe Cordero OR Rauch for Milledge, that I would be open to.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #11: July 03, 2007, 04:00:13 AM »
Cordero AND rauch?? HELL to the NO!

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #12: July 03, 2007, 06:51:25 AM »
I am starting to think they are just taking names of players on the Nationals out of a hat to link them to toolsy outfielders just because our GM is Jim Bowden. I bet he never even called Tampa Bay or even asked Oakland about Bradley. These rumor sites are just trying to start a rumor by linking Bowden to outfielders.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13: July 03, 2007, 10:09:21 AM »
I am starting to think they are just taking names of players on the Nationals out of a hat to link them to toolsy outfielders just because our GM is Jim Bowden. I bet he never even called Tampa Bay or even asked Oakland about Bradley. These rumor sites are just trying to start a rumor by linking Bowden to outfielders.

I also like how it says "buzz out of washington".  I feel like most of us are in tune with any "buzz" and none of us has said anything about it. So, it really sounds made up

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #14: July 03, 2007, 12:20:50 PM »
Kasten has repeatedly said that 1 or 2 out of 10 pitching prospects might actually end up being of MLB caliber.  That comes from many years of experience.  If that's the case, a fair trade might consist of 5 or 10 prospects in exchange for 1 proven MLB player.  That way, you have probably traded one MLB player to get another one, along with a lot of junk.

Jonny Gomes has replaced Elijah Dukes at Tampa Bay, and Gomes is outperforming him in most hitting categories, based on equivalent ABs.  Gomes' BA is 56 points higher and is on pace to hit the same number of homers if he had the same number of ABs as Dukes.  There are all sorts of prospects who lots of people think are future stars, but then it just doesn't happen.

Lastings Milledge hasn't demonstrated in either AAA or MLB that he'd be substantially better than Brandon Watson.  I don't think many people in this Forum would trade Rauch or Cordero to get a Watson.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #15: July 03, 2007, 01:04:24 PM »
Kasten has repeatedly said that 1 or 2 out of 10 pitching prospects might actually end up being of MLB caliber.  That comes from many years of experience.  If that's the case, a fair trade might consist of 5 or 10 prospects in exchange for 1 proven MLB player.  That way, you have probably traded one MLB player to get another one, along with a lot of junk.

Jonny Gomes has replaced Elijah Dukes at Tampa Bay, and Gomes is outperforming him in most hitting categories, based on equivalent ABs.  Gomes' BA is 56 points higher and is on pace to hit the same number of homers if he had the same number of ABs as Dukes.  There are all sorts of prospects who lots of people think are future stars, but then it just doesn't happen.

Lastings Milledge hasn't demonstrated in either AAA or MLB that he'd be substantially better than Brandon Watson.  I don't think many people in this Forum would trade Rauch or Cordero to get a Watson.
(Image removed from quote.)

Its really hard to say that he is another brandon watson.  If you go back to when watson was 20 and 21, milledge's OPS is almost 100 points higher than watson's, at the same level of minor leagues.  Watson didnt sniff the majors until he was 23, Milledge was 21 when he came up and he has done pretty well through 60 ABs in the majors this year (i think he is hurt now)

Gomes is also 26 to dukes' 22

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #16: July 03, 2007, 03:25:32 PM »
Found this on mlbtraderumors.com:

I love this because it is a site dedicated to rumors posting a rumor posted on a mets blog. So this is like a rumor of a rumor, and a pretty questionable one at that given the source. This would be an idiotic trade.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #17: July 03, 2007, 03:34:30 PM »
I love this because it is a site dedicated to rumors posting a rumor posted on a mets blog. So this is like a rumor of a rumor, and a pretty questionable one at that given the source. This would be an idiotic trade.

dealing both would be idiotic. but how about one of the two?  at first i read the article to be both. but now, as i reread it, it doesnt necessarily state that. 

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #18: July 03, 2007, 07:42:04 PM »
If Bowden dealt both for Milledge, his days as the Nats GM would be numbered. Everyone would want his head served on a platter.

expofan1968

« Reply #19: July 08, 2007, 12:23:51 PM »
I certainly hope this remains but a rumor.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #20: July 08, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
Well, on the bright side, at least we're trying to get Milledge...