Author Topic: Washington Capitals (2012-13)  (Read 47306 times)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Re: Washington Capitals 2012-2013
« Reply #25: July 04, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »
Caps signed winger Joey Crabb tonight - 1 year deal worth $950,000. Scored 11 goals last season with Toronto; he seems like a solid, cheap addition to the bottom-six. Essentially a cheaper, grittier replacement for Aucoin/Knuble rotating on the fourth line. I'm not sure what else we're going to do (I doubt we are in on either Suter or Parise), but I've heard we're going hard for Bobby Ryan, which I would love. If we can swing a deal where we move Green, Johansson, and a pick for Ryan I'll be thrilled. I think we can make a deal work even though Anaheim just picked up a couple depth defensemen today.

Ideally, for me, we are able to acquire Ryan and sign Matt Carle and Jiri Hudler. Carle, though, could be really expensive considering how much teams overpaid for Dennis Wideman and Garrison. We have the space and Carle is incredibly solid - but if Wideman got $5.25 million for 5 years, what will 27-year-old Carle get? $6+ million? I'd be interested in a 4-or-5-year deal worth 24/30 million as he seems like a pretty safe investment (only missed 4 total games the last 3 seasons) and could be a great replacement for Green (if we traded him). We can get pretty creative this offseason and re-tool our roster completely for what Oates is looking for. Standing pat and making a few minor moves seems so unlikely considering McPhee's tone recently (saying how he was watching the playoffs and kept thinking how we need guys who can take and receive physical punishment day in and day out - to me that means more big power forwards (Ryan! ... and our second first-round pick this year, Wilson). Ribeiro isn't a powerful center but he's willing to mix it up and can be an agitator so I liked that move a lot (plus he's a legit #2 center).

I think the organization - especially Ovechkin - saw what it takes to win and what it means to sacrifice for the team this year, and adding in the right players for an up-tempo, attacking system that Oates seems to bring in (but with defensive responsibility) could prove huge dividends. I think Ovechkin will be energized by Oates' coaching and system this year, and hopefully moving out his buddy Semin will make it easier on him to lead and not worry about his friend slouching so much (his comments after the playoffs screamed "my best friend on the team has been jealous of ice time for less talented players, but he doesn't realize what it takes to win").

Hopefully Parise and Suter decide to go to Western Conference teams tomorrow, and the rest of the dominoes can fall shortly thereafter. Bobby Ryan could be really expensive, so if we can hold on to Alzner and Carlson in that deal, I'll probably be OK with it.

Edit, son, edit!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #26: July 04, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
5 and 10 game plans are out.  Repeat partial plan holders go first (ME ME ME).  They include a ticket to an Outdoor classic in Hershey next year.  I got schedules if you need them.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #27: July 04, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »
Well, Tampa just signed Carle to a 5-year deal worth $33.3 million, a perfectly reasonable contract. Disappointing. And Hudler went to Calgary. McPhee really better have some trades cooking, because if he's just planning on re-signing Semin eventually...

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #28: July 04, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »
Caps have same team as last year. Odd. Only change is coach

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #29: July 04, 2012, 11:27:12 PM »
Caps have same team as last year. Odd. Only change is coach

Well, they lost Semin, Wideman, Halpern, Vokoun and Knuble (and Aucoin, I guess) and added a 6th defenseman (Hillen) and a 3rd/4th liner (Crabb), so they've actually taken a pretty significant step backwards, I think, but the offseason is hopefull long from over for McPhee.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #30: July 05, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »
Well, they lost Semin, Wideman, Halpern, Vokoun and Knuble (and Aucoin, I guess) and added a 6th defenseman (Hillen) and a 3rd/4th liner (Crabb), so they've actually taken a pretty significant step backwards, I think, but the offseason is hopefull long from over for McPhee.

They added Ribeiro. Vokoun was auxiliary, Halpern and Knuble rarely played on the same night and Crabb fills that void with upside to spare. IMO the only significant loss at this point is Wideman, and I'm not sure he's the defenseman the team needs right now anyway. I personally am not a big Semin fan, but even so I think Ribeiro cancels out the loss (FINALLY takes care of 2C). I do hope McPhee isn't done though. I would love a trade for Bobby Ryan, especially if it means trading Johansson (there is already a surplus of centers). I would have loved Matt Carle, though, but I believe Michael Roszival is available, and I don't think he would be a bad fit.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #31: July 05, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
They added Ribeiro. Vokoun was auxiliary, Halpern and Knuble rarely played on the same night and Crabb fills that void with upside to spare. IMO the only significant loss at this point is Wideman, and I'm not sure he's the defenseman the team needs right now anyway. I personally am not a big Semin fan, but even so I think Ribeiro cancels out the loss (FINALLY takes care of 2C). I do hope McPhee isn't done though. I would love a trade for Bobby Ryan, especially if it means trading Johansson (there is already a surplus of centers). I would have loved Matt Carle, though, but I believe Michael Roszival is available, and I don't think he would be a bad fit.

Forgot about Ribeiro - you're right, that was a very good move. Gave up nothing in my opinion as Eakin showed nothing last year. We need a scoring winger and another defenseman, hopefully we can add them soon.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #32: July 05, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »
Forgot about Ribeiro - you're right, that was a very good move. Gave up nothing in my opinion as Eakin showed nothing last year. We need a scoring winger and another defenseman, hopefully we can add them soon.

I think at this point the offseason is actually a major victory only because of the Ribeiro move. 2C has been a problem since Fedorov retired, and it's finally been addressed, which should pay huge dividends for the whole team. Then again, I'm not a big Semin fan, and I don't love Wideman either. A scoring winger will likely be tough to find- Shane Doan might be the best option at this point, and I wouldn't mind adding him (if he decides to leave Phoenix). Other than that, it will have to come by trade. There also isn't a glut of defensemem to sign, which is a pain. In any case they project to have around 12 million in cap space after resigning their RFAs.

Speaking of RFA signings, the Caps resigned Perreault for 2 years, 2.1 million and Beagle for 3 years, 2.7 million. Each had a previous contract paying 525K.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #33: July 05, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
Perrault is a bargain.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #34: July 05, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »
After the signings the Caps have 18.8 million in cap space.

• babble on
« Reply #35: July 05, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
 :shock:

Is that counting Poti?

After the signings the Caps have 18.8 million in cap space.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #36: July 05, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »
:shock:

Is that counting Poti?

I believe so, since he'll be on LTIR. Assuming Green gets ~$5 million and Carlson gets between $2 and $3 million, we have plenty of space to play with.

• babble on
« Reply #37: July 05, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
Alllllright, nages, let's go shopping  :lol:

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #38: July 05, 2012, 08:46:23 PM »
I get the feeling they don't sign anyone and save up for the deadline instead.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #39: July 05, 2012, 10:01:18 PM »
I think at this point the offseason is actually a major victory only because of the Ribeiro move. 2C has been a problem since Fedorov retired, and it's finally been addressed, which should pay huge dividends for the whole team. Then again, I'm not a big Semin fan, and I don't love Wideman either. A scoring winger will likely be tough to find- Shane Doan might be the best option at this point, and I wouldn't mind adding him (if he decides to leave Phoenix). Other than that, it will have to come by trade. There also isn't a glut of defensemem to sign, which is a pain. In any case they project to have around 12 million in cap space after resigning their RFAs.

Speaking of RFA signings, the Caps resigned Perreault for 2 years, 2.1 million and Beagle for 3 years, 2.7 million. Each had a previous contract paying 525K.

I would love to get Doan. Sorry OV, but you give that guy the "C" from day one.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #40: July 05, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
I get the feeling they don't sign anyone and save up for the deadline instead.

I think GMGM might still have something up his sleeve. I can see them making a run at Bobby Ryan. There's a rumor that they are inquiring about Evander Kane from Winnipeg also. I would never say a bad word about GMGM ever again if he somehow got us Evander Kane.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #41: July 05, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
I would love to get Doan. Sorry OV, but you give that guy the "C" from day one.

Unfortunately, Doan could be a pipedream. If he does happen to leave Phoenix, it seems he wants to stay on the West Coast.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #42: July 11, 2012, 07:06:02 PM »
Caps sign Wojtek Wolski, 1 year/600k. They told him they see him as a top-6 guy, apparently. Not a bad move.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #43: July 11, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »
Caps sign Wojtek Wolski, 1 year/600k. They told him they see him as a top-6 guy, apparently. Not a bad move.

Not crazy about the move, but I can't really fault them since it doesn't cost anything. They're hoping to find a steal in the bargain section with Wolski. No harm if he doesn't amount to anything.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #44: July 11, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »
this is kinda awesome

Offline Dave B

« Reply #45: July 11, 2012, 08:07:30 PM »
Not crazy about the move, but I can't really fault them since it doesn't cost anything. They're hoping to find a steal in the bargain section with Wolski. No harm if he doesn't amount to anything.

talented player in a contract year. reality has struck for him that he can't freak around anymore, what with the almost league minimum salary

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #46: July 11, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
this is kinda awesome

I never realized that (I think it was) Majesky followed that play up. He saw it go in, and just stared stupidly for a second.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #47: July 11, 2012, 11:16:31 PM »
Just got my 5 game plan!  1st game 31 Oct.  HALLOWEEN NOT SCARY!  FACING THE PENS.....REALLY SCARY!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #48: July 12, 2012, 07:12:01 AM »
Just got my 5 game plan!  1st game 31 Oct.  HALLOWEEN NOT SCARY!  FACING THE PENS.....REALLY SCARY!

Wasn't aware they were offering those anymore.

[former full STH 2001-11]

Offline CALSGR8