Author Topic: Baltimore Umpire Attendent Ernie Tyler Dies at 86  (Read 309 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Baltimore Umpire Attendent Ernie Tyler Dies at 86
« Topic Start: February 12, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »
Ernie had a longer streak than even Cal did.  RIP Ernie.
 :'(

Orioles umpire attendant Tyler dead at 86
Saturday - 2/12/2011, 11:08am  ET
By DAVID GINSBURG
AP Sports Writer

BALTIMORE (AP) - Ernie Tyler, who served 51 years as an umpire attendant for the Baltimore Orioles through last season, died Thursday night. He was 86.

Tyler worked 3,819 straight home games from 1960-2007, an astounding streak that he voluntarily _ and ironically _ ended to attend the Hall of Fame induction of Orioles infielder Cal Ripken, Jr.

Ripken earned the nickname "Iron Man" for playing in a major-league record 2,632 consecutive games, all of them with the Orioles.

"Baltimore lost a very special man in Ernie Tyler," Ripken said. "The Tyler family is synonymous with Orioles baseball, and O's games won't be the same without Ernie. His commitment and dedication to the Orioles and to the game was something my family and I have always admired. He was Baltimore's true Iron Man, and he will be missed."

Tyler's streak included 40 postseason games, nine exhibition games and the 1993 All-Star game.

"For over half a century Ernie Tyler was an integral part of the Orioles organization," owner Peter Angelos said. "Ernie's kindness, loyalty and commitment to his work and to the Orioles defined who he was both at the ballpark and in his personal life."

Tyler's job included assisting the umpires before, during and after Orioles games. He was also responsible for rubbing the game baseballs with mud so the surface would not be slick.

"Ernie was a staple for the Orioles, someone who dedicated his time to the organization longer than I've been on this earth," Baltimore pitcher Jeremy Guthrie said Friday. "What I remember most is the respect and recognition he received after returning from Cal's Hall of Fame ceremony. Everyone applauded. That was really neat.

"Ernie did his job in a good way and with class. He will be missed by the umpires, the players and his family."

Tyler's sons, Jim and Fred, are clubhouse managers at Camden Yards for the home and visiting teams.

Ernie Tyler was born April 30, 1924. He began his run with the Orioles as a part-time usher at Memorial Stadium during the team's first season in 1954, became a full-time usher in 1958 and assumed the job as umpires attendant in 1960.

Tyler and his wife, Juliane, were married 64 years.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been determined.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)