Author Topic: apologies to LaRoche  (Read 19497 times)

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
Re: apologies to LaRoche
« Reply #375: September 06, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
Adam Dunn has a smooth swing too and he hits tons of homers.

He's also Paul Bunyan-sized and swings a tree trunk for a bat.  I think that may help, too.  :)

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #376: September 06, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
As well as LaRoche has played this season I doubt he'll pick up his end of the mutual option but how much of a commitment can we afford to make? I'm thinking if he denies the option offer him a 2 year 24 million deal to stay. If Laroche stays next year is probably Morse's last as a National.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #377: September 06, 2012, 09:55:37 PM »
Did you see the short list that MASN showed of players who have homered in all 4 games of a series?

Ruth, Schmidt, Berra, ....LaRoche (6 total, can't remember the other 3).

Lofty company for Adam.   

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #378: September 06, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »
Did you see the short list that MASN showed of players who have homered in all 4 games of a series?

Ruth, Schmidt, Berra, ....LaRoche (6 total, can't remember the other 3).

Lofty company for Adam.   

That was nuts - this entire series has been nuts

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #379: September 06, 2012, 10:06:31 PM »
Boy can he hit

Offline Hogie

« Reply #380: September 06, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »
Motel!

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #381: September 06, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »
Man I really wish we had outbid the Tigers for Prince Fielder.  This scrub we have at 1B right now is useless :couch:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #382: September 07, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »
Man I really wish we had outbid the Tigers for Prince Fielder.  This scrub we have at 1B right now is useless :couch:

he's OK, Marrero would have been much better. ;)

« Reply #383: September 07, 2012, 07:40:53 AM »
To those of you who would like to keep Morse and get rid of LaRoche who is your lefty bat in the middle of the lineup?  Both the free agent and trade market is awful there.

Harper moves to the middle if Rizzo harpoons his great white whale. (aka leadoff CF)

Offline zoom

« Reply #384: September 07, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »
Per Zuckerman:

Mark Zuckerman ‏@MarkZuckerman

The other five: Babe Ruth, Hank Greenberg, Yogi Berra, Johnny Bench, Mike Schmidt. Yeah, all Hall of Famers.
Expand
--------------------

Mark Zuckerman Mark Zuckerman ‏@MarkZuckerman

Per Elias, Adam LaRoche is only the 6th player in @MLB history to hit a HR in every game of a 4-game series. #Nats

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #385: September 07, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »

Our 1B, don't forget, has a 'magic glove.'

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #386: September 07, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »
We need to pay Adam LaRoche. The guy simply has had an awesome year. If they can get him to agree to a 2 or 3 year deal with big money, I think they have to do it.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #387: September 07, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
Hopefully the market is pretty dry for him. The Dodgers no longer need a 1B so that's good.

And, as Comak's article yesterday points out, there's really not a huge need at CF or leadoff anymore with Harper and Werth more than getting the jobs done.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/6/questions-about-center-leadoff-starting-to-disappe/

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #388: September 07, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
Not a good idea for career longevity for a GM to make a habit of negotiating with a player having a career year.

That's when you're at your weakest in terms of leverage... And the contract will end up being a massive overpay.

And, although it seems some in the SSS can't comprehend this concept... Players don't always continue to perform and what you're seeing now isn't a promise next year and beyond.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #389: September 07, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Not a good idea for career longevity for a GM to make a habit of negotiating with a player having a career year.

That's when you're at your weakest in terms of leverage... And the contract will end up being a massive overpay.

And, although it seems some in the SSS can't comprehend this concept... Players don't always continue to perform and what you're seeing now isn't a promise next year and beyond.

So what do you suggest they do with regards to LaRoche/first base in 2013 and beyond?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #390: September 07, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
They hope like hell he agrees to the option. If not, plug Morse or Moore into 1B and either sign a OF'er or go with Morse/Moore in LF.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #391: September 07, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »

I agree with the premise but not it's application to this situation.  If we don't keep LaRoche then what do you propose we do at 1B and for a good middle-of-the-order lefty power bat?

Offline Hogie

« Reply #392: September 07, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
I would say that the spirit of the term "career year" would indicate a certain % jump up from career averages.

I would not call this a "career year" for LaRoche. About a week ago he was below his career averages in many categories. He's streaky and obviously will cool down again before the season is over.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #393: September 07, 2012, 12:39:37 PM »
As I said, you either shift Morse/Moore to 1B and either sign an OF'er or go with Morse/Moore in LF and you'll likely not see a huge dropoff in numbers in regards to OPS, SLG, etc.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #394: September 07, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
As I said, you either shift Morse/Moore to 1B and either sign an OF'er or go with Morse/Moore in LF and you'll likely not see a huge dropoff in numbers in regards to OPS, SLG, etc.

I'm sorry but which lefty power bat is available to sign that wouldn't be a huge dropoff in OPS?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #395: September 07, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
Why does it need to be a LHB?

Good hitters work fine regardless of what side they hit on.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #396: September 07, 2012, 12:43:42 PM »
I would say that the spirit of the term "career year" would indicate a certain % jump up from career averages.

I would not call this a "career year" for LaRoche. About a week ago he was below his career averages in many categories. He's streaky and obviously will cool down again before the season is over.
Adam LaRoche is trending to end the season with a fWAR of 3.6.  His previous career high was 2.5 in 2006 so yeah he's definitely having a career year.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #397: September 07, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »
I don't think we should discount LaRoche's defense either - outside of maybe Tex, whos' better defensively at first?  I think it's made a big difference in our success this year.

Anyway - I think we should keep LaRoche (and EJax), even if their numbers decline a bit, they're still going to be much less expensive than the alternative

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #398: September 07, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
Why does it need to be a LHB?

Good hitters work fine regardless of what side they hit on.

That's obviously true but not entirely so.  Lefties hit righties better in general and righties hit lefties better.  Just a fact.  The left-handed middle-of-the-order bat gives you much needed balance so a dominant righty like some of the guys in our own division can't own your lineup.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #399: September 07, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
If you go LHB leadoff, Harper becomes the LHB power bat.