Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 168706 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1700: August 04, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
The most entertaining horrible movie I have ever seen is Dhoom: 3. Please notice that on the poster, the characters are literally on fire:

(Image removed from quote.)

Here's my full essay on reasons why Dhoom: 3 is the most entertaining bad movie ever.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090190/

Offline houston-nat

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1702: August 05, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
"Get On Up"

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1703: August 07, 2014, 11:16:51 PM »
Not sure if I'll go to TMNT or not. Of course it is going to suck hard, but I don't know if it will be the entertaining type of suck.

Offline Optics

« Reply #1704: August 07, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
Not sure if I'll go to TMNT or not. Of course it is going to suck hard, but I don't know if it will be the entertaining type of suck.

16% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Looks like trash.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1705: August 08, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
You should not support it financially. Wait for Netflix/Hulu/used DVD/internet.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1706: August 15, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
The Expendables 3 wasn't very good. First, the parts that worked. Mel Gibson was fantastic, as was Wesley Snipes. They both were clearly having a lot of fun. Harrison Ford is basically playing Bruce Willis' character from the first two movies, and he does fine. The rest... doesn't work. The four new, young members of the team are all bland, underdeveloped, and uninteresting. I get that they're trying to the concept beyond just the guys from the '80s, but they did it in the worst way possible. The two proper actors they chose were pretty sucky, and the other two are an MMA fighter and a boxer. Not exactly the best casting decisions when you're trying to make a new generation of action stars. They needed to be far more talented and charismatic, but it wouldn't have mattered because there are too many Expendables. Granted, Terry Crews gets shot and is in the hospital for most of the movie, but even minus him, there are nine Expendables, plus Ford, plus Jet Li and Arnold. There are too damn many characters in this damn movie. There isn't the space to develop anyone at all. That doesn't really matter with the old guys because we already more or less understand them because of their past work, but the new members are totally anonymous because they're unfamiliar actors. They need to have their characters developed, but there is no time spent doing so, despite the unnecessarily long running time.

Another issue is Stallone's character. After Terry Crews gets shot, Stallone decides to break up the team and gets Kelsey Grammar to help him recruit some young talent to go get Gibson because Stallone thinks that it may be a suicide mission and he doesn't want to get the rest of the veterans to die too. First, this goes against what happens in the second movie, which is basically driven by the team's desire to get revenge on Van Damme after he kills Liam Hemsworth. Very similar situation here, except this time Stallone tells the team to piss off and instead hires a new team who has no connection to the situation to help him instead, because I guess he prefers to get a bunch of twenty/thirty-somethings who are only in it for the money killed instead. Douche. (Oh, and only one of the new members gets any sort of motivation explained for why he joins up with Stallone.) This creates some irritating false tension because you know the old team isn't going to stay out of the movie for long, so you just end up sitting around waiting for something to go wrong and for them to show up to save the day, which they do.

The PG-13 rating isn't quite as intrusive as I expected, but it is definitely noticeable. Snipes and Statham both use knives, so the camera switches away quickly when they stab someone and it doesn't show blood, which really takes you out of the intended atmosphere, which is that of an old school R rated '80s action flick, but what is far more noticeable than the lesser amount of blood is the crappy CGI. The effects in the first two movies are, to my knowledge entirely practical with only one or two exceptions, namely the bit in the second movie where they fly the plane into the mine. In this one though, there are poorly CGIed planes, helicopters, and explosions on several occasions, and it is really annoying.

Finally, there is the really awkward "buddy dialogue," mostly between Stallone and Statham. This was in the first two also, but it was really bad here. It's hard to give examples, but you can tell when you hear it. Really stilted and unnatural dialogue that is supposed to be friendly banter, but just sounds really stupid. Hell, most of the dialogue sucks, except for a few bits here and there where it actually tries to be a bit more serious.

Overall, this was a really underwhelming followup. I liked the second movie a lot, but I was very hesitant when I first started seeing the pretty widespread negative reviews. Critics actually did seem to get what the deal is with these movies when the last one came out and thus gave it relatively decent reviews, so when this one started getting panned, I feared the worst, and I was unfortunately correct. If you liked the first two, I'm guessing you'll go see it anyway, but I recommend avoiding it. Go watch Lethal Weapon instead.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1707: August 28, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »
Three on my list:

1)   November Man
2)   A Walk Among the Tombstones
3)   The Equalizer

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1708: August 28, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
Three on my list:

1)   November Man
2)   A Walk Among the Tombstones
3)   The Equalizer
Yes to all but The Equalizer. Once you've seen one Denzel performance, you've seen them all.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1709: August 28, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
Yes to all but The Equalizer. Once you've seen one Denzel performance, you've seen them all.

My connection to the Equalizer may be my likin' the TV show in the '80's.     However, I do like Denzel.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1710: August 29, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
Now in theaters, especially for spidernat:

30th anniversary re-release,
Harold Ramis died recently

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1712: September 22, 2014, 03:54:39 PM »
"A Walk Among the Tombstones"    ...    like "Silence of the Lambs" without the happy ending.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1713: October 03, 2014, 12:57:27 AM »

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1714: October 04, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »

So much!!! I loved the book, Clint F'n Eastwood is directing and Kyle's sniper partner/spotter is playing himself? HELL YES!!!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1715: October 06, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
Inherent Vice
Gone Girl

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1716: October 06, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
Saw Equalizer today   ...   lots of violence once the movie got warmed up.    The ending left room for a follow-up.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1717: October 06, 2014, 04:55:04 PM »
i want to see Fury, but am skeptical if it will be decent

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1718: October 14, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
"The Judge"    Certainly worth one senior and one adult admission along with the cost of one box of Bunch of Crunch, pretzel pieces with melted cheese and a bottle of water.    I'm a Duvall fan and I was not disappointed.   Brought several tears to the missus' cheeks.   It was dark and I couldn't tell if I had a tear.    Downey, JR played his part to the hilt as well.   

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1719: October 14, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
Gone Girl
Good fun, well-directed, well-performed by everyone (although Affleck and Pike were the weak links...yes, I liked Tyler Perry's performance). Nice cheesy thriller with some messed-up twists.

That said, Amy could easily be prosecuted at the end of the movie and if anyone asks I can explain how.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1720: October 14, 2014, 05:46:41 PM »
This all brings me to  ....  are there any movies you wanna see but never will?    First one that pops to my mind is "On Golden Pond".    Another one is "Lone Survivor".   I will never watch "Saving Private Ryan" again  .... 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1721: October 14, 2014, 06:21:45 PM »
I want to see Interstellar, but I'm growing weary of Matthew McGrundlesquirt being the flavor of the month who gets cast in everything.  Honestly not thrilled with Anne Hathaway as the co-star, either.  Are great films built on relatively unknown actors  not a thing in cinema anymore?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1722: October 14, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
I want to see Interstellar, but I'm growing weary of Matthew McGrundlesquirt being the flavor of the month who gets cast in everything.  Honestly not thrilled with Anne Hathaway as the co-star, either.  Are great films built on relatively unknown actors  not a thing in cinema anymore?

time is a flat circle

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1723: October 14, 2014, 06:59:07 PM »

Remember when Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie were in The Hurt Locker and nobody knew who they were? Slumdog, Juno, District 9.

Coming soon there's Dear White People, where Dennis Haysbert is the token famous actor.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1724: November 02, 2014, 08:25:11 PM »
I think I might see three movies this week. John Wick on Thursday and then a double-feature of Interstellar and Big Hero 6 on Friday.