Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167694 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #975: January 13, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
Dredd

More suited for a video game than a movie, this comic book adaptation blows Sly's version out of the water. The Raid: Redemption is better, though.

C+

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #976: January 13, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »
Dredd

More suited for a video game than a movie, this comic book adaptation blows Sly's version out of the water. The Raid Redemption is better, though.

C+

The Raid: Redemption was amazing.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #977: January 14, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »
cmd and I saw Zero Dark Thirty.  It's a good one.

Not huge on action, but that's the way it was intended and it worked well. 

Recommend seeing it.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #978: January 14, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
Lincoln is leaving the theatres (at least where I live) soon.  Is it worth seeing in the theatres, or is it one that would translate to home watching well?

Lincoln did quite well in theatres... In a historic sense, this is far from true.

That being said I really want to see Zero Dark Thirty. I could be epic but considering it came from the people who made "The Hurt Locker" my hopes aren't high.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #980: January 14, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/zack-snyder-preps-non-trilogy-star-wars-film.html

The Seven Jedi

I don't see the big appeal with all the Star Wars crap and why everyone is geeking out. Then again it did take me 29 years to start liking baseball, so maybe I'm just slow on the pick up.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #981: January 14, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »
You're a little slow, but SW really tanked at Return of the Jedi. Honestly, the Thrawn books and moments in the Clone Wars series are probably the best outside of Ep 5. That being said, if this consists of jedi running around, cutting people with with lightsabers, it could be awesome.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #982: January 14, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »
I don't see the big appeal with all the Star Wars crap and why everyone is geeking out. Then again it did take me 29 years to start liking baseball, so maybe I'm just slow on the pick up.

for me it's the same reason I'll see a star trek movie- they usually are well done, and I already know the back story from the other movies, so I can just sit and enjoy instead of trying to figure out who is who

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #983: January 14, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
Zero Dark Thirty

Exceptional.

Only complaint is that at times it is very clinical in its story telling, especially the raid. As a movie goer you want that big finish, while ZDT delivers that, it doesn't give that big OOMP we've been conditioned to expect.

Life doesn't always deliver that big OOMP when expected; it's refreshing to see a movie forgo the cliches of Hollywood and end it as ZDT did.

A-

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #984: January 14, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
Yesterday, saw Argo.

Very entertaining, the Hollywood scenes were very funny (as was Cranston's terrific line about the privileges of running a spy agency). Goodman, Arkin, Cranston, Garber, and Bob Gunton in a cameo as Cyrus Vance are all pleasures to watch, although Ben Affleck feels kinda bland. The final hour of the movie is thrilling, and the scene where one of the fugitives explains the plot of the imaginary movie to the Iranian soldiers is fantastic. For some reason I left the theater feeling strangely empty, though.

A solid entertainment.

B

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #985: January 14, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
Zero Dark Thirty
Life doesn't always deliver that big OOMP when expected; it's refreshing to see a movie forgo the cliches of Hollywood and end it as ZDT did.

Will see it Thursday  ...   nice review.   

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #986: January 14, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
Zero Dark Thirty

Exceptional.

Only complaint is that at times it is very clinical in its story telling, especially the raid. As a movie goer you want that big finish, while ZDT delivers that, it doesn't give that big OOMP we've been conditioned to expect.

A-

loved this movie, trying to see it in theaters again

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #987: January 17, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »
Zero Dark Thirty

Not huge on action, but that's the way it was intended and it worked well. 

Recommend seeing it.

A-

I saw it today.  I give it a B-.    It is clinical and I believe a little long.   If you follow current events closely, you may find some of the movie as "filler"/"supporting background".    Ain't gonna get into all that too much.   Don't wanna give anything away.   I'm glad I saw it once.   Probably will never see it again and will not buy it upon release.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #991: January 24, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »
Last Saturday, we saw the preview to the movie "42", which should be out in April.  It looked very interesting.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #992: January 24, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »
What plot did Lucas bring to the table in the past three movies?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #993: January 24, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
What plot did Lucas bring to the table in the past three movies?

the last three were pretty much all plot (I'm not claiming good plot necessarily), but random debates in whatever imperial senate, tons of back story, and not a ton of action qualifies as plot to me

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #994: January 24, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
Agree to disagree then. To me it was a bunch of nothing that failed to advance any true story.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #995: January 24, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
Star Wars 7 is still going to be awesome because the writer from Toy Story 3 is doing the story!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #996: January 26, 2013, 02:44:32 AM »
:crackup:

:'(

Offline Coladar

« Reply #997: January 26, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »
Agree to disagree then. To me it was a bunch of nothing that failed to advance any true story.

I'm a hardcore Star Wars nerd. Hard. Core. I despise Episode 1 and 2. The last time I saw them was in the damn theatre when they were released. Damn, I was at the grand charity premiere in DC for Episode 1 in 99 almost a week before it was released, with the reception care of the Tunisian ambassador if memory serves. (Figured he probably got shot during the Arab Spring uprising.) Like I said, hardcore SW fan, and also one of the biggest Ep 1&2 haters around. Wizard? Die, Jake Lloyd, die.

So all that said... Episode 3? Sorry, as insane and deluded as Lucas got, Episode 3 is as good as Star Wars gets. After order 66, when the Jedi die and Anakin kills the freaking Padawan kids? I could watch it a million times and still get chills.

But regardless of quality, the actors? Ain't gonna be around forever. Now is the time where they are aged perfectly for a next generation movie as parents. That's why I love it when actors return one last time to a role they defined, and that defined them. Recast all you want, use CG to put them in after they die. It isn't the same.

Me? I love watching old movies that an actor returned to a role they made one last time, even if the movie and plot suck. Because at the end of the day, that's all she wrote. One last message left to the annals of history, one last time playing that magical role. Seems most think that stuff degrades a legacy, but me, I enjoy knowing there's that one extra tale in the cosmos with them in that role. Because although 99 might be utter garbage, there's always that one that recaptures the magic.

And now that Lucas is hands off, all the creative people inspired by the OT, that worship and could contribute to new, better stories, with all the money invested? If these suck, they'd have to almost intentionally blow it so long as Lucas isn't involved.

If these movies don't have Mark, Carrie and Harrison? F*** them. So long as that hasn't been ruled out, it's the reason I await their release.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #999: January 27, 2013, 12:44:40 PM »
I like I, Robot.