Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167710 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #900: December 24, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »
Everytime I watch Moneyball, I always get pumped for baseball.

Offline blue911

« Reply #901: December 24, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »
Everytime I watch Moneyball, I always get pumped for baseball.

I wish John Malkovich had played Art Howe

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #902: December 24, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »
I wish John Malkovich had played Art Howe

I wish John Malkovich played John Malkovich.

Philip Seymour Hoffman really looks like Buck Showalter.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #903: December 24, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
Man, I finally watched Resident Evil Retribution. Huge fan of the series, and I was stoked Anderson was back.

What the f*** was that? I thought the last film was genius, and set the stage for some crazy sh**.

So they bring Anderson back again and he wrecks it? Jesus christ, the entire movie was a rehash of the FIRST one, except worse in every regard. crap, they moved the series to a global scale, then for this film they toss Alice in some godforsaken facility i don't care about and have her try and escape, again? wtf?  This is what I expect from some music video director coming into an aging franchise and stealing the concept of the original to squeeze out more bucks. Not only the fact they total went backward, but it's from Anderson, the original director who departed for the next several sequels? He comes back, makes an awesome sequel, then goes and ignores everything for a remake, in essence? I was literaly praying the movie would end, and then when it did I couldn't believe the entire film didn't go past the 'escape from evil complex' storyline.

God damn that was awful. I seem to recall reading Anderson is doing the next one, too. God I hope that's correct and he picks up from where he left here. World totally destroyed, Alice and Wesker fighting out of a surrounded DC as the last humans on earth would be epic. no, it'd be what this film should have been, where Anderson should have picked up after Afterlife. Seems to me Anderson was enthralled by 3D and wanted to remake the first film in 3D, thus retribution. Now he owes the fanbase something that doesn't suck to make up for wasting an entire film in the franchise on junk.

Man, I can't believe it. The Silent Hill sequel, which was almost impossible to screw up if it at all followed the first, was unintelligible garbage. But Paul Anderson, a genius from Event Horizon through the start of the RE franchise, produced this trite trash? What a horrible month for awful films from survival horror game franchises that had actually managed to produce some great, unique films. I'll never watch either of these two again as long as I live, I just wish I hadn't sat through them the first ti

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #904: December 24, 2012, 10:56:56 PM »
How did you see it?

It's not on in Richmond or Lynchburg.

It's out in New York City. (Well, in a handful of theaters in the city. Luckily one was easily walkable.)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #905: December 24, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
Saw The Hobbit last night in Imax 3D. Overall the experience was positive, but a few things really detracted from my enjoyment. The movie was a half hour too long. 3D continues to add nothing to the viewing experience. Imax is WAY TOO LOUD. $17 is way to freaking much for a movie ticket. Would have preferred to spend $2 at Redbox 9 months from now instead.

Positives: 10 minute Imax 3D trailer for Star Trek was beastly. Very excited for the movie, seems overly dramatic but it's a hallmark of the movie series so can't fault them far that. I also could follow the plot of The Hobbit quite easily. Lots of bonuses for those who have watched the LOTR trilogy beforehand.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #906: December 24, 2012, 11:16:01 PM »
...Positives: 10 minute Imax 3D trailer for Star Trek was beastly. Very excited for the movie, seems overly dramatic but it's a hallmark of the movie series so can't fault them far that...
Especially if it includes Hannibal Lector

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #907: December 26, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
I'm going to see This is 40 before picking up the kids from daycare if I get my lazy ass out the door in time.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #908: December 26, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »
Anyone see "Barbara"?  I love that genre...bleak, grey, 1980s East German dystopia.  Perfect day for it today too. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #909: December 26, 2012, 07:53:13 PM »
I'm going to see This is 40 before picking up the kids from daycare if I get my lazy ass out the door in time.

Mrs PA fell asleep so I read the newspaper

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #910: December 26, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »
We saw Les Miz this afternoon in Viera. I love the stage production and that is still better, but the movie is very good. I got some kind of stuff in my eye at least twice.....

Loved seeing Colm Wilkinson play the Bishop of Digne.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #911: December 26, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
just watched Elf again, what a great movie.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #912: December 26, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »
Put aside 3 hours and See Les Miserables!   Excellent!  Well Russell Crowd was great acting Javair but singing?  Not so much!  Songs were actually sung as they filmed instead of record and lip sync.  I didn't notice the time.  Hugh Jackman is fantastic!  Sacha Cohen as the unscrupulous innkeeper was funny as was his wife,Helen Bonam Carter. 

Those of you who have seen stage productions, see if you recognize who plays the priest who sets Jean Val Jean on the straight and narrow.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #913: December 27, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
Put aside 3 hours and See Les Miserables!   Excellent!  Well Russell Crowd was great acting Javair but singing?  Not so much!  Songs were actually sung as they filmed instead of record and lip sync.  I didn't notice the time.  Hugh Jackman is fantastic!  Sacha Cohen as the unscrupulous innkeeper was funny as was his wife,Helen Bonam Carter. 

Those of you who have seen stage productions, see if you recognize who plays the priest who sets Jean Val Jean on the straight and narrow.
I won't give it away, but I saw a little story on that.  Thought that was pretty cool.  I never got to see him in the role, but I'm told he was the standard.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #914: December 27, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »

Uh... Ok. It was a pretty good movie, don't know where you're coming up with that, but ok then.
LOTR sparked a lot of NZ tourism- if you like hiking/biking/paddling,  the scenery really is stunning
Absolutely, but I don't really get where it's just an advertisement. The scenery in the movie is just awesome.

Because the movie seems to be one long film of fantastic scenery, with little cuts of dialog in the middle. So, basically, a NZ tourism commercial. Not that I'm complaining, makes me with I could go back.

speaking of ... what is everyone's favorite LOTR?

The one where Darth Vader tells Luke that he's Luke's father.

Never liked LoTR. Always thought it was very overrated.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #915: December 27, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »

I recognized him immediately and the way he sang the word "God" confirmed it. Thought that was a great touch.

I've seen the stage production several times and we have the DVDs of the anniversary concerts. I'm thinking maybe I should finally read the book (after I read the final Wheel of Time book that's coming in two weeks). Anyone know which translations are the best ones? I know it's incredibly long regardless, so if I'm going to read a 1400-page novel originally written in French I might as well read a top-notch translation.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #916: December 27, 2012, 10:14:49 AM »
speaking of ... what is everyone's favorite LOTR?

The books.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #917: December 27, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
The books.

I'm a big fan of the books, and I'm usually not happy about film adaptations of childhood favorites, but I think the movies really did the books justice in this case

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #918: December 27, 2012, 10:40:25 AM »
I'm a big fan of the books, and I'm usually not happy about film adaptations of childhood favorites, but I think the movies really did the books justice in this case

Yup, Jackson may have taken some artistic license, but it was well done. Loved them!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #919: December 27, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
The books.

haha i meant out of the flicks?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #920: January 01, 2013, 11:13:37 AM »
Watched This Is 40 on Sunday.

Not a huge fan. Similar to Funny People, it was about totally unlikeable characters that occasionally said something funny.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #921: January 01, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »

Not a huge fan. Similar to Funny People, it was about totally unlikeable characters that occasionally said something funny.

And more Judd Apatow family.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #922: January 01, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »
I really liked funny people- sometimes a bunch of sad characters is a refreshing change from the normal every lead is good at heart that most movies have

Offline thepointe01

« Reply #923: January 01, 2013, 03:14:53 PM »

I usually adore Paul Rudd.  He was the only reason I wanted to see that movie.  He said some funny things, but this seemed like a movies purely to make a movie that he knew would profit.  The story was stupid, I'm not even sure if there was a story, just some depressed 40 year olds.

On the bright side, Django was great imo.  Combination of humor and tarantino gore.  The scene with the klan members is the hardest I've laughed in a while for a movie.  Christopher Waltz>>>>.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #924: January 01, 2013, 03:53:19 PM »
so how long into django did it take before you stopped thinking of Christopher Waltz as Hans Landa?