Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167678 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1175: May 12, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
I finally got around to watching Avengers - which is comical (Whee, pun) considering I devour about 30-40 comics every new comics Wednesday. Yet it takes a year to get to one of the biggest events ever for the medium, and I'm a whedon fanboi to boot. I was leery -the Avengers dynamic, with that team, those *characters* (Meaning RDJr's playboy Stark)...

Captain America is a joke character in comparison to the Marvel U, superheroes in general, or even as a standalone concept. A jangoistic holdover from WW2, literally, whose sole aim was inspiring moral and patriotism. Super Soldier serum? Gimme a break. Cap's everyman appeal was great at the time, puny weakling soldiers become unstoppable heroes aided our drafted and out of place GIs by giving them a hero like themselves.

Now? Even the comics struggle to have the character make any sense or offer any decent stories (And they fail. Utterly. Show me one decent superhero Cap story this past... decade? Two? Ooh, Ultimates! Cap is the goddamn President of the US. For realz. Marvel 616? Ooh, Cap is the head of Shield! Ooh, Cap is lost for ten years in an alternate dimension raising the son of some dude who has a CRTV set for a chest/head. For realz. That is the current storyline in the comics today.)

Add in Widow? And Hawkeye? Two utter losers, who might make an awesome Dark Knight esque film, but... Mix in the goddamn Hulk, a literal goddamn God, and Iron Man being a technologically enhanced near God himself? The flick was, for those familiar with the franchise, destined to fail and suck. Only it didn't. I have no idea how, but Whedon somehow pulled off a miracle. Using the characters strengths, ignoring their weaknesses while making it completely reasonable to do so plot-wise... Genius.

Still haven't watched Amazing Spider-Man, nor sure I will anytime soon. Reboot, too soon. Hell, still haven't watched Daredevil, Elektra, either FF movie, the Wolverine standalone, Green Lantern, either Ghost Rider... Prolly less I've seen than those I have.

Silver Linings Playbook, caught that yesterday. Good flick, but I was hoping for more. The Indy/awards buzz, I was expecting a less formulaic ending/progression. Deeply flawed characters with not just issues, but entire freaking subscriptions? Life sucks, then you die, blah blah without getting into major spoilers.

I prolly posted this a few months back, but I'm still blown away by Cabin In The Woods. Now there, there's a motherf**** ending. Whedon is God, clearly. He's got a Midas touch for fiction unlike any creator that I can think of. Ever. Damn, Buffy. Angel. Firefly. Dollhouse. Cabin. Avengers. Can he do wrong? Genius.

Prometheus is equally one of the best of the past decade, just rewatched it again. The whole Jesus Christ was an alien, who we killed and earned annihilation because of our crime? Damn. Just damn. The Christmas sprinkles in the story, the faith/atheist dynamic. Such a beautiful and intricately desigined plot. In this vein, I've gotten back on an Event Horizon kick. Watched it several times this year again. Awesome movie. Just awesome. No creepy aliens, just sheer terror. Humans driven to kill themselves. Weir is a complex character, and not utterly unbelievable or bad. Just a man, flawed, but a man. Wormhole leading to Hell dimension, complete chaos? Such an amazing movie, one probably enhanced by the fact it was the very first movie my parents let me see by myself in the theatres (No G-rated crap first. Event Horizon was the absolute first time I sat alone in a theater, at the age of 12. Good parenting FTW!)

I had high hopes for Beautiful Creatures based on the trailers and nothing else. Bought it last week, haven't finished it. There was *so* much there without bringing in the damned tween Twilight BS lovey dovey BS. I cringe seeing the ad 'I'm still here, what does that tell you?' Give me a break. This concept of demigods, beings who have the capacity for light or darkness, whose decision on which they become is involuntary? If anyone watched Carnivale (And if you haven't, you should. Amazing.) this could have been a theatrical Carnivale. Instead it was a Twiblowhard ripoff.

Looking forward to? Star Trek, but of course. This Is The End. World War Z. Elysium. Europa Report could be epic

#1 with a bullet? Riddick. About damn time. That franchise is epic. Most thought the sequel tried too hard, did too much, compared with the minimalist Pitch Black. And true enough, extremely bipolar franchise. I'm reluctant only because Riddick sounds like a return to Pitch Black instead of a followup to Chronicles. Say what you will about Chronicles, I still am blown away by the premise there. Everything. But that religion? I mean come on - the Necromancers were genius. In our universe, where life has one constant - death. Thus life is the aberration, and death the natural state of things in this world? It's mind blowing because you could totally see some nutjob cult coming to that conclusion on their own, and the sci-fi and mysticism dynamic of the film worked perfectly with a revolutionary concept. Hopefully that doesn't get dropped entirely from Riddick.

I do have a concept I wish somebody would use one day because it'd make a kickass movie I'd like to see - incorporating silent film and CG. I don't think you could have the entirety be silent and set in the 20s though... But CG is so damn lifelike now, allowing nearly anything to seem real. You take a silent film, silver nitrate deterioration effects and all, the inconsistent and quick frame rate, everything. Then throw in CG as though it were real? Like a horror flick with impossible visuals? Intersperse with modern era plot - maybe a Ring-esque movie, where a decades old film unleashes ancient evil (See silver nitrate film. Silver nitrate as in silver, a supernatural favorite weakness, which trapped the whatever.) I could even see utilizing London After Midnight - hype it Blair Witch style, found after all these decades. Purely silent, no modernity, just London After Midnight remade, full of CG unbelievable horrors that explain why people went nuts watching it and why it was lost.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1176: May 12, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
Still haven't watched Amazing Spider-Man, nor sure I will anytime soon. Reboot, too soon. Hell, still haven't watched Daredevil, Elektra, either FF movie, the Wolverine standalone, Green Lantern, either Ghost Rider... Prolly less I've seen than those I have.

I'm one of the few that seemed to like the new Spider-Man movie, but I thought it was worth it.

Daredevil - Meh
Elektra - Skip it
Fantastic Four 1 - Meh
Fantastic Four 2 - Skip it
Wolverine standalone - Skip it
Green Lantern - SKIP IT
Ghost Rider 1 - Ok
Ghost Rider 2-  Haven't seen it

Prometheus is equally one of the best of the past decade, just rewatched it again. The whole Jesus Christ was an alien, who we killed and earned annihilation because of our crime? Damn. Just damn. The Christmas sprinkles in the story, the faith/atheist dynamic. Such a beautiful and intricately desigined plot. In this vein, I've gotten back on an Event Horizon kick. Watched it several times this year again. Awesome movie. Just awesome. No creepy aliens, just sheer terror. Humans driven to kill themselves. Weir is a complex character, and not utterly unbelievable or bad. Just a man, flawed, but a man. Wormhole leading to Hell dimension, complete chaos? Such an amazing movie, one probably enhanced by the fact it was the very first movie my parents let me see by myself in the theatres (No G-rated crap first. Event Horizon was the absolute first time I sat alone in a theater, at the age of 12. Good parenting FTW!)

I'm sorry, but, WHAT?! Did I miss the whole spoiler part of the movie? I enjoyed it well enough, but I don't remember the spoiler part at all.

#1 with a bullet? Riddick. About damn time. That franchise is epic. Most thought the sequel tried too hard, did too much, compared with the minimalist Pitch Black. And true enough, extremely bipolar franchise. I'm reluctant only because Riddick sounds like a return to Pitch Black instead of a followup to Chronicles. Say what you will about Chronicles, I still am blown away by the premise there. Everything. But that religion? I mean come on - the Necromancers were genius. In our universe, where life has one constant - death. Thus life is the aberration, and death the natural state of things in this world? It's mind blowing because you could totally see some nutjob cult coming to that conclusion on their own, and the sci-fi and mysticism dynamic of the film worked perfectly with a revolutionary concept. Hopefully that doesn't get dropped entirely from Riddick.

I too liked Chronicles, although it easily could have been an entirely different franchise the way it differed from Pitch Black. Hoping Diesel can give a strong third act to the series.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1177: May 12, 2013, 08:49:40 AM »
Yeah, the spoiler is 100% there. Absolutely, without question. I picked it up my first time through by the end.

Rewatch it. It's spread throughout, but the 'A-HA!' moment for me? The timeline. Engineers create life on Earth, return with representatives over time. The alien ship headed to wipe out the Earth because we killed their last representative, proving we're evil/bad and deserving? Yeah, 2,000 years ago. What famous death of a descendant of the maker(s) of life on Earth with impossible powers do we know that happened around the first century? If you watch it again and look for it, you'll have no problem 'getting' it. I just don't see any other possibility, particularly with the constant references to Christmas amongst the crew during the movie.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1178: May 12, 2013, 08:53:28 AM »
Yeah, the spoiler is 100% there. Absolutely, without question. I picked it up my first time through by the end.

Rewatch it. It's spread throughout, but the 'A-HA!' moment for me? The timeline. Engineers create life on Earth, return with representatives over time. The alien ship headed to wipe out the Earth because we killed their last representative, proving we're evil/bad and deserving? Yeah, 2,000 years ago. What famous death of a descendant of the maker(s) of life on Earth with impossible powers do we know that happened around the first century? If you watch it again and look for it, you'll have no problem 'getting' it. I just don't see any other possibility, particularly with the constant references to Christmas amongst the crew during the movie.

Well, that certainly all makes sense... but somehow I never picked up on it the first time. Hell, I'm still confused as to why the original engineer in the first shot of the movie just withers up and dies.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1179: May 12, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »
Well, that certainly all makes sense... but somehow I never picked up on it the first time. Hell, I'm still confused as to why the original engineer in the first shot of the movie just withers up and dies.

Well, Coladar's spoiler is more theory then fact. I thought the same thing and enjoy the idea behind it. There are only hints in the movie that relate to that plot point. The flashback thing they saw when they were investigating that building was dated some 2030 years prior to their current time which would've been around the time Jesus was crucified. A lot of other plot points are about faith and science. There are numerous cinematography moments that allude to this plot as well, such as the ship leaving the engineer at the beginning of the movie. The ship was seen shaped as a seed when it was leaving the clouds suggesting that they are the race that is "seeding" all of these planets and hence, creating life.

As for the beginning it is also suggested through Ridley interviews that the engineers are a type of race similar to Ancient Egyptians and other cultures. For example, those cultures sacrificed humans for Gods. Instead of selecting someone, people would volunteer to be the person sacrificed. For a duration of time, whether it's a month or a year, these people would live like Kings. Then they would be sacrificed at the end of that period. So this guy at the beginning probably volunteered to "seed" the planet. The goo he drank was similar to the goo they found in capsules on the planet. It was obviously some compound mixture that would break away his cells and then combine it's components with his DNA.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1180: May 14, 2013, 06:15:21 PM »
i still love prometheus to this day. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1181: May 14, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
Damn, this thread looks like a CIA document.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1182: May 14, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »

zero dark thirty

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1183: May 14, 2013, 07:30:25 PM »
I haven't seen Prometheus, but there is one issue I've read about that bothers me. Why does Charlize Theron's surgical unit thingie not work on women? That is moronic, especially when considering that a woman owns and installed it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1184: May 14, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
I haven't seen Prometheus, but there is one issue I've read about that bothers me. Why does Charlize Theron's surgical unit thingie not work on women? That is moronic, especially when considering that a woman owns and installed it.

Watching the movie will answer that question.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1185: May 14, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
I heard that mitlen knows what he wants which is to eat bacon while he watches blue911 junk-punch Nathan by a green-screen so it looks like they're on top of Mount Everest.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1186: May 14, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »
I heard that mitlen knows what he wants which is to eat bacon while he watches blue911 junk-punch Nathan by a green-screen so it looks like they're on top of Mount Everest.

I don't have a clearance to read this redacted information.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1187: May 14, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
Now it reminds me of that Austin Powers: Goldmember joke.

I have a huge roden problem

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1188: May 14, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »
houston-nat is an egotistical maniac that just wants to see me get junk punched by blue

Offline Bloo

« Reply #1189: May 15, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »
Great Gatsby was good. Not great, but good.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1190: May 15, 2013, 01:10:07 AM »
Saw Silver Linings Playbook.  I'm guessing your life experiences will shape how you view that movie.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1191: May 15, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
Saw Silver Linings Playbook.  I'm guessing your life experiences will shape how you view that movie.

Missus and I saw it as well.    Liked it  ...   

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #1192: May 15, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
i still love prometheus to this day. 

i had HUGE expectations for prometheus and was let down.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1193: May 15, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »
i had HUGE expectations for prometheus and was let down.

Man, I cannot fathom this. Not at all. It was amazing in a million different ways, it tried to do some incredible things and succeeded, while avoiding doing exactly what everyone expected (Alien v0.0)

If you went in expecting the Alien prequel/Ripley lovefest, I can perhaps, perhaps, understand. But even if you did, I can't imagine not walking away in awe of what they pulled off. The movie has layers on top of layers, easily going to be one of the best films of this decade.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1194: May 15, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
Man, I cannot fathom this. Not at all. It was amazing in a million different ways, it tried to do some incredible things and succeeded, while avoiding doing exactly what everyone expected (Alien v0.0)

If you went in expecting the Alien prequel/Ripley lovefest, I can perhaps, perhaps, understand. But even if you did, I can't imagine not walking away in awe of what they pulled off. The movie has layers on top of layers, easily going to be one of the best films of this decade.

I'm with you on this. Maybe not  "best film of the decade" but it possibly could be. I just need to look at the options.

I really enjoyed the movie. I was expecting to get this awesome experience that took place in the Alien universe and I did. The whole idea of searching for our origins and finding out that some greater alien race may be the creators was awesome. I'm greatly hyped for the sequel. I want to see what else Ridley has up his sleeve.

One thing, though, the movie didn't match all of my expectations that the trailer created but it's not like that was a bad thing. I enjoyed the movie as was.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1195: May 15, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
You are the only people I know of who liked Prometheus, especially as anything more than a mindless entertainment sci-fi flick. Perhaps I should watch it...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1196: May 15, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
You are the only people I know of who liked Prometheus, especially as anything more than a mindless entertainment sci-fi flick. Perhaps I should watch it...

IMO, people love to trash the movie. Most of the negative criticism I've read was mostly nitpicking.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1197: May 15, 2013, 10:25:48 PM »

Really? Wow, that's news to me. I'm not big on obsessing over what others think about movies or TV, but I didn't realize Prometheus wasn't a darling both critically and with the general public. Figured it was as beloved as I imagined it would be. C'est la vie, and others loss. I hate to sound like the sociopathic hipster elitist, but if you 'get' the film, I don't see how folks could dislike it.

Since it did earn said sequel, obviously it can't be too scorned or despised. Just a beautiful example of sci-fi done right, and an utterly unique and unprecedented film examining what might be extremely controversial subject matter, 'creators' and the origins of life on earth, yet handling it perfectly. We need more introspective sci-fi like this, looking at our future somewhat realistically and what might be instead of popcorn dreck like Men In Black 3, Cowboys vs Aliens, etc.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1198: May 15, 2013, 11:14:31 PM »
I just really loved the atmosphere of the film. I wish there was more that they could've explored. There definitely needs to be more films like Promotheus in the sci-fi realm at least.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1199: May 16, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
I was going to go see Star Trek last night at midnight but the closest theater showing it was in Chambersburg, like an hour away.  :wtf: why weren't many theaters showing it at midnight?