Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167722 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #1050: February 10, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »
I also watched Looper tonight. Decent action movie. I liked it. I got mad at a few parts but it was good.

I'll spoiler for Looper to save others waiting 'til it hits HBO/Starz...

I loved Looper. The concept, awesome. Truly, truly awesome. But... I think they overdid things with the TK aspect. You've got a film about time travel and the paradox of meeting yourself, amped up in Looper to killing your future self. Amazing and rich, relatively untapped story potential there. Then to add the Rain Maker portion, humans gai ing TK/psionic powers? Then to boot, this almost 'second coming' like child who towers over us all?

Too much, imo, and enough to cause the general public to shrug their shoulders Inception-like. Admittedly the time travel equals mega-suspension of disbelief, so why not go all out? I just think they had more than enough room to play around with one crazy sci-fi element without adding yet another.

Particularly since Push (2009), handled this secondary element superbly, and was largely panned by critics and the general public. I think Push is one of the best films of the past decade for sci-fi, and it got no attention or respect.  So as much as I enjoyed Looper in all regards, I think adding the TK bit not only prevented it from gaining traction with large numbers but also detracted from exploring time travel and subsequent paradoxes.

Maybe I'm slightly biased because I felt like they were forced to use that plotline for all the wrong reasons. I saw it as studio execs saying, 'Yeah, time travel. Neat. What's the end game/ultimate conflict to leave Joe Blow satisfied. The way it stands, there's not even a protagonist. Give him something to fight, sacrifice, a big battle to send people home happy.' I just can't imagine why it gets included for any other reason.