Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103791 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #250: June 14, 2012, 07:20:27 PM »
Hope that that lawn is organically fertilized. Organic grass-fed groundhog is delicious. ;)

Just kidding. I'm sure your kids are enjoying the heck out of this.

Of course, this was taken before we found out there were seven babies, but as promised, here is a picture of Gertrude and The Five Farts.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #251: June 14, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Hope that that lawn is organically fertilized. Organic grass-fed groundhog is delicious. ;)

Just kidding. I'm sure your kids are enjoying the heck out of this.

No enhancement or fertilizer whatsoever.  It's as natural as it comes.  Weeds and all.  :lol:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #252: June 14, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »
No enhancement or fertilizer whatsoever.  It's as natural as it comes.  Weeds and all.  :lol:

damn, that looked like a chem-lawn to me

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #253: June 14, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »
Say good  by to any gardens you might have.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #254: June 14, 2012, 10:05:46 PM »
I will also post a picture later of the next door neighbors that just moved in.  A momma groundhog and her seven babies are living under my shed. 

My children are smitten.

How does Howie feel?  :P

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #255: June 15, 2012, 07:37:59 AM »
How does Howie feel?  :P

He's quite frightened of them.  He tried it once and the momma hedgehog put him in his place.

Say good  by to any gardens you might have.

Yeah.  They're starting to take down these flowers we have growing next to our shed.  They haven't bloomed yet (and I'm not exactly sure what they are) but the stalks are already about three feet high and they're taking the stalks down to eat the leaves.  They're like miniature sunflowers when they bloom and they typically bloom in July.  Guess we won't see them this year.  :lol:

But we don't have the veggies growing this year so no harm there.  And none of our neighbors have any veggie gardens.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #256: June 21, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »
This guy was hanging out next to the house this morning, probably hunting chipmunks. Wife got this photo. It's a Barred Owl.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #257: June 21, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
Owls are the best birds in the world.  The Eurasian Eagle Owl is quite impressive.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #258: June 21, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
Fantastic shot of the most fascinating of all the birds of prey.

This guy was hanging out next to the house this morning, probably hunting chipmunks. Wife got this photo. It's a Barred Owl.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #259: July 05, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »
O.k., first off, let me say that no, I didn't take a picture and I am now regretting that I didn't because I have to try and describe what I found this morning on my way to work. 

It was ailing (I think it was dying) and I found a trail of fur all over my back yard this morning so I am guessing that Howie was chasing it and trying to kill it.  Anyway, my neighbor said to me as I was on my way out the door to work this morning, "I think there must be something wrong with that squirrel next to your swingset because your cat just walked right up to it, sniffed it and walked away - the squirrel never flinched."  So of course I go check out the "squirrel" only to find that it has a squirrel body, a squirrel-like tail (a bit shorter than your average squirrel) and a rabbit head with short rabbit ears.  I have no idea what the hell it was. 

It allowed me to get really close to it and study it - I NEVER TOUCHED THE THING.  Anyway, I called the animal control officer on my way out the door and he had me cover it with a recyclable collection container and he's going to come take it away.  I can't find a photo of it on the internets because I have no clue what to call it.  I really want to know what it is.  If I had to try to identify it, I'd say it was a really small wallaby.

Anyway, I am really hoping that Howard is up-to-date with his rabies shots...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #260: July 05, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
O.k., first off, let me say that no, I didn't take a picture and I am now regretting that I didn't because I have to try and describe what I found this morning on my way to work. 

It was ailing (I think it was dying) and I found a trail of fur all over my back yard this morning so I am guessing that Howie was chasing it and trying to kill it.  Anyway, my neighbor said to me as I was on my way out the door to work this morning, "I think there must be something wrong with that squirrel next to your swingset because your cat just walked right up to it, sniffed it and walked away - the squirrel never flinched."  So of course I go check out the "squirrel" only to find that it has a squirrel body, a squirrel-like tail (a bit shorter than your average squirrel) and a rabbit head with short rabbit ears.  I have no idea what the hell it was. 

It allowed me to get really close to it and study it - I NEVER TOUCHED THE THING.  Anyway, I called the animal control officer on my way out the door and he had me cover it with a recyclable collection container and he's going to come take it away.  I can't find a photo of it on the internets because I have no clue what to call it.  I really want to know what it is.  If I had to try to identify it, I'd say it was a really small wallaby.

Anyway, I am really hoping that Howard is up-to-date with his rabies shots...

Ask animal control what it is when they get there. I'm really at a loss to tell you what it is. It may have been a house pet that got loose which would explain why it didn't seem overly scared of you.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #261: July 05, 2012, 09:45:35 AM »
Minty, was it a Chinchilla?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #262: July 05, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

That's what I was picturing in my head. I just couldn't think of it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #263: July 05, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »

DISCO!  It looked bigger than either one of those pictured...

That's it.  Aren't Chinchilla's housepets?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #264: July 05, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
I love those things- a guy in my dorm sophomore year had one- biggest chick magnet ever

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #265: July 05, 2012, 10:12:25 AM »
DISCO!  It looked bigger than either one of those pictured...

That's it.  Aren't Chinchilla's housepets?

Yeah, pretty much. They have super soft fur and their pelts are often used for coats and what not.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #266: July 05, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
Yeah, pretty much. They have super soft fur and their pelts are often used for coats and what not.

Unfortunately for this guy, he really didn't have a lot of fur left.  Howie beat him up pretty good.

You can tell in which direction this poor thing ran last night because there were literally trails of fur all over my yard and the neighbor's yard.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #267: July 05, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »
Around here defiantely a lost or abandoned pet. The hail from the Andes. For something so cute, they are hardy.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #268: July 05, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »
This makes me haz a sad.  :'(

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #269: July 05, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
This makes me haz a sad.  :'(

Me too.  And the stupid twat of an Animal Control Officer in my podunk village still hasn't gone to pick this poor guy up.  He just sits there under this container. 

I hope he'll be o.k.  If they take him to a vet and he checks out perhaps I'll adopt it.  Or at the very least, offer to help find it a home.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #270: July 05, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »
if you're sure it's a chinchilla, maybe give these people a call

http://chinchillarescue.org/links-rescue.html

they might be more willing to care for it that animal control

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #271: July 05, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
if you're sure it's a chinchilla, maybe give these people a call

http://chinchillarescue.org/links-rescue.html

they might be more willing to care for it that animal control

There aren't any shelters on that list even close to me.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #272: July 05, 2012, 01:28:44 PM »
Vet care would probably be very expensive. I suppose you could take it there and see if they feel like it should be euthanized, or if there is something they can do for it.

Fur grows back. It probably needs water and food to survive.  If it isn't too beat up internally.

http://www.smallanimaladvice.com/what_do_chinchillas_eat.php

Me too.  And the stupid twat of an Animal Control Officer in my podunk village still hasn't gone to pick this poor guy up.  He just sits there under this container. 

I hope he'll be o.k.  If they take him to a vet and he checks out perhaps I'll adopt it.  Or at the very least, offer to help find it a home.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #273: July 05, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »
Damn, poor thing. 

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #274: July 05, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
I hope he's not suffering.