Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103790 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #225: June 08, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
This will take care of your chipmunk infestation:

(Image removed from quote.)

Turns out, so will one of these:

Howie caught TWO of those bad-boys yesterday on his very first day we let him out.  First one he was convinced was dead so he brought it into the house and when my wife saw him with something in his mouth she tried to get him back out to release it which then only spooked poor Howie so he hid under my sons' bunkbed and then released it.  Much to Howie's surprise, the chipmunk was still very much alive and immediately attempted to escape.  Then, my wife, my two sons and Howie all tried to corral the chipmunk each with their own agenda (Howie was pride of a kill, wife just wanted it the hell out of the house, preferrably dead, my youngest son wanted to save the chipmunk's life and my older son just wanted it to be over so he could go back to playing his video game).  Eventually, my wife caught the rodent as it made it's way into my sons' dirty clothes hamper so she scooped up the entire hamper and emptied it on the back porch and the chipmunk escaped.

Howie was disappointed.

However, while on my way out the door to bring my son to Scouts last night, I saw Howie come across the backyard with yet another chipmunk in his clutches.  This time, the chipmunk didn't make it.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #226: June 08, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »
:lmao: Great story. I wish I wasn't allergic to cats.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #227: June 08, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
Put a little peanut butter mixed with rat poison out for them to eat and that will take care of the critters

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #228: June 08, 2012, 11:46:26 AM »
:lmao: Great story. I wish I wasn't allergic to cats.

My oldest son is really allergic to cats and he does fine with both of my cats.  And my house has been mouse-free since we've had the girl cat and now that we have another boy cat the yard will be free of rodents as well.  Howie damn near got himself a squirrel who ventured onto our porch this morning.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #229: June 08, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Are they hypoallergenic or is he just used to them?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #230: June 08, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
But is there a reason to get rid of the 2 (or more) chipmunks? 
Squirrels have co-existed peacefully around that house for decades.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #231: June 08, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
Are they hypoallergenic or is he just used to them?

They're not hypoallergenic but we already had two cats when he was born.  One died but we still have the older cat (she's 11 now) and then we recently adopted Howie.  My son struggles in the spring when his seasonal allergies compound on top of his cat alleries but he's fine in summer, autumn and winter.  He takes Zyrtec to alleviate symptoms and our pediatrician just recommends that we keep windows open in his room as frequently as we can - especially in winter when the air is really cold and dry.  And then my wife and I are pretty diligent about ensuring we wash his sheets two times per week and keep the house vacuumed and the furniture cleaned.

That's the long-winded way of saying, "he's used to it now."  :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #232: June 08, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »

Chipmunks tunnel relentlessly, can cause water to flow in around foundations or undermine sidewalks/patios etc.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #233: June 08, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »
My oldest son is really allergic to cats and he does fine with both of my cats.  And my house has been mouse-free since we've had the girl cat and now that we have another boy cat the yard will be free of rodents as well.  Howie damn near got himself a squirrel who ventured onto our porch this morning.

I think the squirrels around my house enjoy nothing more than taunting my dog- unfortunately for them, he's a whippet- a few learned the hard way getting caught to far into the yard

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #234: June 08, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other to me, but apparently Howie believes them to be the scourge of the Earth.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #235: June 08, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
Good stuff, Minty.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #236: June 08, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
I think the squirrels around my house enjoy nothing more than taunting my dog- unfortunately for them, he's a whippet- a few learned the hard way getting caught to far into the yard

I dunno if I ever told the story of "The Squirrel Mafia" that taunted my cat Sophia last year.  We let her out as we usually do first thing in the morning and within minutes she was howling (caterwalling style) at the back door so I opened the door to find her pressed against the back door in a panic.  Turns out there were three squireels chattering at her on the porch while three of their friends scavenged for food in our yard.  It was as if the three on the porch were saying, "bring it, nag."

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #237: June 08, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
I had a cardinal fly directly into my back yesterday when I was walking into work.  As I was leaving I saw a woman running screaming to the parking garage with the cardinal that attacked me chasing her.  Fun times.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #238: June 08, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
They're territorial sometimes. Were you wearing red? :lol:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #239: June 08, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
They're territorial sometimes. Were you wearing red? :lol:

Actually I was - a Nats hat.  The woman being chased had a red bag.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #240: June 08, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »
I had a cardinal fly directly into my back yesterday when I was walking into work.  As I was leaving I saw a woman running screaming to the parking garage with the cardinal that attacked me chasing her.  Fun times.

Do we have to drink for the Cardinals reference?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #241: June 08, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
Do we have to drink for the Cardinals reference?

:rimshot:

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #242: June 08, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
Pretty much sounds like my place.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hummingbird/msg081545368050.html

Just glad the raccoon hasn't figured out how to unscrew the bottom of the feeder yet. They are clever as heck.

Indeed they are a lot more clever than people think. I recall a camping trip once where we awoke in the middle of the night to a crash. Three raccoons had pushed our cooler off the picnic table outside our tent so that the lid popped open when it hit the ground. One was running off with the pack of hot dogs and another had unscrewed a jar of peanut butter and was licking it out of the jar.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #243: June 08, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »
 :lmao:

Indeed they are a lot more clever than people think. I recall a camping trip once where we awoke in the middle of the night to a crash. Three raccoons had pushed our cooler off the picnic table outside our tent so that the lid popped open when it hit the ground. One was running off with the pack of hot dogs and another had unscrewed a jar of peanut butter and was licking it out of the jar.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #244: June 08, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #245: June 08, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »
:lol: awesome.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #246: June 14, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
Bald eagle siting last Friday at the ranch in Cali where my nephew's wedding was held.  Just hanging out.  There was a little bird buzzing him / her, but we figured it must be an eaglet because the big bird did not react.   Also so a bunch of buzzard sjust chilling in a tree, and a few big jack rabbits no doubt trying to stay out of sight of the eagle.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #247: June 14, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Bald eagle siting last Friday at the ranch in Cali where my nephew's wedding was held.  Just hanging out.  There was a little bird buzzing him / her, but we figured it must be an eaglet because the big bird did not react.   Also so a bunch of buzzard sjust chilling in a tree, and a few big jack rabbits no doubt trying to stay out of sight of the eagle.

It is believed that we have four Eagles living in our humble little town along the Hudson River.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #248: June 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »
I will also post a picture later of the next door neighbors that just moved in.  A momma groundhog and her seven babies are living under my shed. 

My children are smitten.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #249: June 14, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »
Of course, this was taken before we found out there were seven babies, but as promised, here is a picture of Gertrude and The Five Farts.