Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 103766 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #175: May 10, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »
Probably, haven't been in the attic in forever.

Good look on the Oriole advice, I'll look into it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #176: May 10, 2012, 09:55:33 PM »
I've had enough rum that I thought this thread was now "Backyard crackers".

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #177: May 10, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »
My philosophy is to let wild animals remain wild.  It's in their interest, and yours. 

Survival of the fittest.  Smart squirrel finds safe reliable food source.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #178: May 11, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »
Smart dinos find a comfortable trash can that moves.

Vega, we miss you!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #179: May 11, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »
Isn't that a new reality show on the Discovery channel, where they see how much damage rednecks can inflict with a charcoal grill and some lighter fluid?

I've had enough rum that I thought this thread was now "Backyard crackers".

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #180: May 11, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
We've been trying to attract them for years with fresh fruit, but never this combination. I'm on it.
Orioles love orange, or grape jelly.

Just put a flat platform out and half an orange, slathered with grape jelly.  Orioles aren't common but if they find it they'll establish it as a feeding stop.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #181: May 11, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
That's where someone dies a fiery death right after yelling "Hey! Y'all watch this!!"
Isn't that a new reality show on the Discovery channel, where they see how much damage rednecks can inflict with a charcoal grill and some lighter fluid?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #182: May 11, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
that could describe a number cable Reality shows, but yes, that's the catch phrase.

That's where someone dies a fiery death right after yelling "Hey! Y'all watch this!!"

Offline mitlen

« Reply #183: May 11, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »

Reminds me of a joke about Pittsburgh drivers. 

Throughout America, drivers who run off the edge of the road and lose control of the car yell, "Oh crap!"     In Pittsburgh, they say, "Hold my beer and watch this."

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #184: May 12, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/qftRg.jpg

Found this guy in downtown DC yesterday. Looks like he hit a building, he couldn't fly. I called animal control and they came and picked him up.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #185: May 14, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
How close does he let you get?

That picture wasn't taken from nearly as close as it looked. It's a small piece of a larger image—the original is 1936 x 2592 and the smaller piece I posted is 1024 x 768. He was probably about halfway across the deck from the kitchen door when I took that picture.

Why feed a wild animal?  It's not really helpful to them in the long run.

Some of the neighbors would throw them peanuts and such regardless of what I do. The biggest thing I'm conscious of is that when our relatives from Miami visit we not let their kids feed the squirrel because both kids are under 10 years old and would likely mistake the squirrel's seemingly friendly demeanor for tameness. I must say, though, that I became a bit concerned when I went outside last night to put two Cornish game hens on the grill and I suddenly realized a squirrel was on the deck table—while I don't think he'd go near a hot grill, I don't particularly want to find out the hard way that I'm wrong about that assumption!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #186: May 14, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »
Aww. A Red-bellied Woodpecker. I hope animal control treated him well.

http://i.imgur.com/qftRg.jpg

Found this guy in downtown DC yesterday. Looks like he hit a building, he couldn't fly. I called animal control and they came and picked him up.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #187: May 15, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
Somebody visited my grill and ate most of the chicken fat still in the trap.    :?

Then Sunday night there was a vicious fight outside the back of my house for about 20 seconds, followed by wimpering and eventual silence.  Cost me 3 good hours of sleep.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #188: May 15, 2012, 12:40:24 PM »
Somebody visited my grill and ate most of the chicken fat still in the trap.    :

Damn good chicken grease too.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #189: May 25, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »
There is definitely something living in my attic- it sounds larger than a mouse so I'm guessing squirrel, I also think I found where it got in. My question is what time of day do I close the hole to lock him out not in- I'm thinking morning? 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #190: May 25, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »
Our bat is back.  Time to hang the mothballs.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #191: May 25, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »
Our bat is back. 

Or you could go Adams Family. ;)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #192: May 25, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
There is definitely something living in my attic- it sounds larger than a mouse so I'm guessing squirrel, I also think I found where it got in. My question is what time of day do I close the hole to lock him out not in- I'm thinking morning? 

That would be my best guess. It would probably flee the attic if it hears you coming up there anyway.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #193: May 25, 2012, 09:13:34 AM »
And hope s/he hasn't had babies. I think morning is right for squirrels - they are active during the day.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #194: May 25, 2012, 09:49:38 AM »

I think I''d try to humanely trap it (or not, your call). Then seal the hole, and free the squirrel a few miles away.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #195: May 25, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
I think I''d try to humanely trap it (or not, your call). Then seal the hole, and free the squirrel a few miles away.

my wife agrees with you, our hippy pest guy is on vacation (for some reason he's not on call this weekend- self centered bastard), so hopefully whatever it is doesn't do too much damage until Wednesday

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #196: May 25, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
Hippy pest guy?  Does that mean he traps animals or he hangs around your house playing hacky-sack and listening to Phish?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #197: May 25, 2012, 02:58:46 PM »
Hippy pest guy?  Does that mean he traps animals or he hangs around your house playing hacky-sack and listening to Phish?

When the roofer guys got the squirrels out of our attic space to repair where they got in, they first sprayed some pepper spray and then went and got coffee. I would definitely use pepper spray on some hippy hanging around my house playing hacky sack and listing to Phish.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #198: May 25, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
When the roofer guys got the squirrels out of our attic space to repair where they got in, they first sprayed some pepper spray and then went and got coffee. I would definitely use pepper spray on some hippy hanging around my house playing hacky sack and listing to Phish.

Make sure you hear "Sample in a Jar" first.  Song kicks ASS.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #199: May 25, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »

he's a nice guy, definitely, pushes the eco friendly products and recommend against termite protection (even though it costs a lot) because the chemicals are bad for the environment