Author Topic: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?  (Read 30786 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?
« Reply #275: June 23, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
He hit the ball hard tonight, didn't have anything to show for it

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #276: June 23, 2012, 10:51:48 PM »
Mark Zuckerman ‏@MarkZuckerman
Lots of #Nats pregame news... Zim admits shoulder a problem, Davey says Clippard will remain as closer.

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP
Davey says Zim may soon need cortisone shot, DL. Zim: "If things keep going the way they have been, we're going to have to do something."

Zim: Says shoulder doesn't bother him during BP or in field but can't catch up to fastballs in game. May get cortisone shot.

Adam Kilgore@AdamKilgoreWP
Zimmerman mentioned possibly "using the all-star break" to help shoulder. If he gets shot 6/26, he could miss 15 days, but only 11 games.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #277: June 23, 2012, 10:55:32 PM »
At least he finally admitted it. Should have had an MRI when it started bothering him.

Offline PC

« Reply #278: June 23, 2012, 10:57:32 PM »
It would be nice to get an actual diagnosis for what's wrong with his shoulder rather than just a cortisone shot.

Also, how about moving him down in the batting order now?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #279: June 23, 2012, 10:59:31 PM »
Didn't he have an MRI? Didn't it just show inflammation and no structural damage? Am I remembering that wrong?

He probably sits starting tomorrow through the AS Break

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #280: June 23, 2012, 11:02:23 PM »
Didn't he have an MRI? Didn't it just show inflammation and no structural damage? Am I remembering that wrong?

He probably sits starting tomorrow through the AS Break

Yeah he did now that I think about it. I think he needs another one now, maybe a nice two week vacation. Lombardozzi can hold down third.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #281: June 23, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
Yeah he did now that I think about it. I think he needs another one now, maybe a nice two week vacation. Lombardozzi can hold down third.

DeRosa is coming back tomorrow too. Lombo, DeRosa can easily hold down third for a couple of weeks.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
« Reply #282: June 23, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
DeRosa is coming back tomorrow too. Lombo, DeRosa can easily hold down third for a couple of weeks.

Sucks that DeRosa is 0-8 with 3 BBs in his rehab so far, but if it means getting rid of Nady (which I think it does), I can't wait to have him back.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #283: June 23, 2012, 11:07:38 PM »
Sucks that DeRosa is 0-8 with 3 BBs in his rehab so far, but if it means getting rid of Nady (which I think it does), I can't wait to have him back.

I think they keep Nady (for now) and put Zim on the DL

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #284: June 23, 2012, 11:10:26 PM »
Amanda Comak ‏@acomak

Zimmerman:"If I’m in a hitter’s count & I see a fastball, I usually am not continuously late pitch after pitch. That’s what’s so frustrating."

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #285: June 23, 2012, 11:27:25 PM »
my only question is why lie about it for this long?  he's said his shoulder wasn't the issue.

if he's hurt, sit it out and treat it and give it some rest.  we're not making the playoffs without him.  when healthy he's a tremendous player.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #286: June 23, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »
Lots of #Nats pregame news... Zim admits shoulder a problem, Davey says Clippard will remain as closer.

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP
Davey says Zim may soon need cortisone shot, DL. Zim: "If things keep going the way they have been, we're going to have to do something."

Zim: Says shoulder doesn't bother him during BP or in field but can't catch up to fastballs in game. May get cortisone shot.

Adam Kilgore@AdamKilgoreWP
Zimmerman mentioned possibly "using the all-star break" to help shoulder. If he gets shot 6/26, he could miss 15 days, but only 11 games.

As I was saying. Dude is still hurt. Sprains don't just get better after two weeks. I've had sprains last 4 months before I was 100%.

Put him on the DL after tomorrow's game. Get him the extra time off with the All Star Break. Evaluate before the end. If he's still struggling, back on the DL.

Call up Brown. Play Lombardozzi at third. Brown in the outfield (RF), Morse in LF. DFA Nady and calle up DeRosa to take his spot.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #287: June 23, 2012, 11:39:36 PM »
So, perhaps we can maybe consider what I have to say now?

Put him on the DL after tomorrow's game. Get him the extra time off with the All Star Break. Evaluate before the end. If he's still struggling, back on the DL.

Call up Brown. Play Lombardozzi at third. Brown in the outfield (RF), Morse in LF. DFA Nady and calle up DeRosa to take his spot.

Yes on all...although I'm not thrilled about having either Nady or DeRosa on the team.

Cortisone shot means something is wrong. Let Zim rest the shoulder. Get a real diagnosis.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #288: June 23, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
moore should be playing over brown

Offline panthers30

« Reply #289: June 24, 2012, 02:24:04 AM »
Why wait until the ASB?  He's essentially admitting that the shoulder is injured and affecting his bat speed.  If true, this isn't mental and will not be corrected until fixed.

Just get started on his recovery now and sit him out indefinitely.  We're continuing to win games with zero production from him so why not?  if we let him get 100% healthy it'll be a nice consolation prize to get when Stras is shut down.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #290: June 24, 2012, 05:36:09 AM »
Put him on the DL, he's playing an amazing 3rd base like he always has but it's actually been sad watching him swing lately, it's hard to criticize the guy who has been so important to the organization so I tried to refrain as it was clear he was struggling with the shoulder.

Let Lombo play 3rd, let Moore play every day and I'd give brown a chance to get a few AB's where possible as well, but Moore has proven lately he belongs in the bigs

Offline GSW

« Reply #291: June 24, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »

Why would they bring back DeRosa????? and why does Nady get all the playing time he gets (157)

---- just asking ---- :shock:

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #292: June 24, 2012, 06:52:26 AM »
So it happens on the day Zim owns up to still being hurt ; Zim down to 0.0 WAR on the season. To give you an idea, last year Alex Cora was more productive. He was a little worse with the bat, but better on defense.

DL Zim now, find out if he needs surgery, and don't bring him back until he can crush minor league flamethrowers. We probably need to trade for infield depth.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #293: June 24, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »
I wouldn't be shocked if ended up going on the 60 day DL and missing the rest of the season because of surgery. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #294: June 24, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »
I wouldn't be shocked if ended up going on the 60 day DL and missing the rest of the season because of surgery. 

I hate to be too negative but that's the feel I get as well.   I don't like the way this whole thing smells.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #295: June 24, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
I hate to be too negative but that's the feel I get as well.   I don't like the way this whole thing smells.

Something is obviously wrong with the guy and it isn't just a slump.  I'm surprised no one else has mentioned how much this appears similar to the LaRoche situation last year.  The biggest difference is we didn't just reward LaRoche with a $100m extension.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #296: June 24, 2012, 10:48:07 AM »
Did LaRoche have an MRI come back clean before finally getting shut down?

But yeah, it does seem similar.  Zim just can't stay healthy.  Last year, we needed Hairston to play above his head to replace him for a good chunk of games and this year, we may need Lombo and maybe Tracy when he comes back to do the same.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #297: June 24, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »
Did LaRoche have an MRI come back clean before finally getting shut down?

I'll leave that to the MRI/X-Ray boogymen and medical experts on the board to answer.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #298: June 24, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
Here's how I remember it,

LaRoche knew the labrum was torn and tried to play through it. When it was painfully obvious that wouldn't happen, they shut him down and he had surgery.

Zimmerman had an MRI that showed no structural damage, only inflammation. He has tried to play through it, he's been very good in the field, but cannot catch up to the pitches he normally hits. So it looks like the DL now for Zim.

Whether the shoulder requires surgery or not remains to be seen.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #299: June 24, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
It could be any number of things but it's just not magically going to get better.  Glad we made some big splashes on bats this offseason...