Poll

Is it time to be concerened about how the season's going?

No, it's still early
16 (16%)
I'm a little concerned, but it's not time to panic
48 (48%)
Yes, things look really bad and this team is going downhill fast
36 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Time to Worry? 5.5 Back, Offense Still Stinks, Espinosa Still Starting  (Read 18692 times)

Offline Optics

Strasburg pitched like a stopper last night. The entire offense, Soriano, and Harper's placement in the field cost us the game. The game last night could be a turning point for the worst. We finally get Strasburg out there handling adversity and dueling and then the team just blows a gem of a start from him, I'm concerned how this is gonna what kind of effect this is going to have on him his next start.

Yeah that's what sucks. Everything was set up perfectly for a season turnaround: Stras pitches a gem, Nats grind out a typical 2012 2-1 type win, and the swagger is back. Instead it's another heartbreaking loss and more team unraveling.

Offline BigMeech

The team batting average is down to .226.  It's dropped four points in two games.  Meanwhile, the Marlins have raised theirs to .224.  Another day or two and we could well be dead last.

Our team average will have to dip below .200 for Eckstein to lose his job.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline Optics

Adversity builds character. #Grind. Romans 5:3-4

Ian Desmond's twitter.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

This team just plain sucks right now.

Offline sportsfan882

Way past time to worry. At 5.5 games back and 3 games with Atlanta coming up it's not too late yet but changes have to be made NOW.

Online HalfSmokes

If Atlanta sweeps it's time to panic, if the nats sweep everything is good,  and splitting like just delays the panic

Offline madj55

Adversity builds character. #Grind. Romans 5:3-4

Ian Desmond's twitter.
Apparently adversity makes Ian enter a month long slump.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Glad to be in the National Laugh East

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Offline nobleisthyname

My thoughts from the other topic works here too:

I'm definitely frustrated with the Nationals right now. After all of the hype this team has seriously disappointed. It's too early to give up on the season, no matter what the LoD may have you believe, but the Nationals have not been playing like they should.

For some optimism however, you need look no further than the OP's post. He mentions LaRoche and Zimmerman as the only guys in the lineup who are striking fear into opposing pitchers. Both of these guys have been ripped apart for their performances this season but already their numbers are regressing to the mean and we're back to praising them and pretending they've always been good. This can happen to the team as well. I'm not saying it will. They've had plenty of chances to start their season and they're still at .500 at the end of May, but it can happen and there IS still time.

Ok that's enough sunshine from me. The Nats suck right now.

Offline madj55

Can't wait til we play the Marlins again in July, gonna be sweet!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Or that may be when we hit rock bottom.   :(

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
FWIW, STL was 27-27 last year at this point in time.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline Ray D

The Marlins have a tendency to sweep us, no matter how bad they are.

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
Honestly I had more pleasure watching the '08 Nats.  At least you knew they were terrible.  The low expectations.  This is so maddening, I have found myself having to take a break from watching the games.  Last night I cleaned the kitchen just to keep myself busy.  It reminds me of a girl I dated in High School.  She was psycho.  But sometimes things would be ok or even good, and we would be happy.  Then she would do some stupid crazy stuff, and it would be like "I cant take it in more".  Davey Johnson is my high school gf. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Honestly I had more pleasure watching the '08 Nats.  At least you knew they were terrible.  The low expectations.  This is so maddening,

No.  As bad as and frustrating as this season has been so far.  NO.

Online HalfSmokes

No.  As bad as and frustrating as this season has been so far.  NO.

there was a certain morbid humor in that team- you knew they weren't going anywhere so you could laugh when bergman threw another beach ball or willy mo attempted to field a fly ball- this team was supposed to go somewhere- in 08 danny would have been a running joke with threads guessing how low an average can sink- this year it just pisses me off

Offline madj55

Our offense in 2008 with freaking Lenny Harris as our hitting coach was better than what we're throwing out there this year.

Offline Optics

I'm worried. This feels like an 81 win team. No sustained high level of play. One day we get good hitting and crap pitching, the next day no hitting but great pitching. It's aggravating to watch.

Offline madj55

We're literally the most boring team in baseball without Harper playing or Strasburg pitching. No one else on this team does anything exciting except for the occasional web gem from Desmond.